Do you think someone will die in Battle of Gods?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Do you think someone will die in Battle of Gods?

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I mean think about it. What do all the movies proper so far lack? Actually having consequences :o Why not kill off Piccolo? Or Tenshinhan? Or why the heck not Mr. Satan?! I don't want to be insensitive to people who adore Daisuke Gori (I think he's awesome, but not on the same level as for example VegettoEX :p) but kill Mr. Satan. He's like the only human who can be wished back. Virtually everyone in the series apart from Kibito Kai and him have died in the series :p It could be anyone else though. It could be Bulma, or Videl. Eventually they could bring double kills back with the Namekian Dragon Balls anyway, if they have to (or were the Dragon Balls updated to be able to wish people back from the dead more than twice? I don't recall :o).

What do you guys think? Want someone to get killed in Battle of Gods to up the stakes considerably? Or are there other things you think could up the stakes (like, I dunno... blow up the Earth again for some reason :p)?

My point at least is... this movie CAN have actual consequences, because at this point, I don't think Dragon Ball GT should be taken into consideration :p (if you don't mind me saying)

Maybe kill Pilaf?

penguintruth
Banned

Re: Do you think someone will die in Battle of Gods?

Post by penguintruth » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Dragon Ball is already fairly consequence-free. There's not much changing that if they can just bring people back to life.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

It's not much of a consequence if you're specifically picking something that can be undone. I don't see how something like that can really "up the stakes". I guess it could make the battle more personal, at least, but...heck, even in the Buu arc Goku just shrugged stuff off and said, "Never mind, we can just wish them back later!"
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm

I can see Uisu dying. Not sure about Bilus.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Well in all fairness, the bad guys get pretty fucked when it comes to dying, so there's consequences for them at least. I hope someone dies, a main character, just wiped from existence in some emotional scene that builds up to something even greater.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Mr. Satan needs to die. As the only character that hasn't died in the entire DB Universe he is the most deserving. XD

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Hitiro wrote:Mr. Satan needs to die. As the only character that hasn't died in the entire DB Universe he is the most deserving. XD
I like Mr Satan, I even got an autograph :mrgreen: , but yes the dude has to die at least once :lol: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:33 pm

"Nothing ever dies, we will rise again."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Mr. Satan should never die. It's part of the humor that the only human that has never died is that big fraud. :lol:
Hitiro wrote:Mr. Satan needs to die. As the only character that hasn't died in the entire DB Universe he is the most deserving. XD
I don't think Kaioshin, Kibito or Mr. Buu ever died either.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:33 pm

Storm101 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kibito has died at least once, didn't Dabura kill him before turning Krillin and Piccolo into stone?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:42 pm

worldmonsters wrote:Maybe kill Pilaf?
Well, he did "die" in movie 3. :p
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

OutlawTorn wrote:
Storm101 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kibito has died at least once, didn't Dabura kill him before turning Krillin and Piccolo into stone?
You're right, my bad.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Seeing as death is mostly a non-issue in Dragon Ball given how often those who die get wished back; I think that in order to up the stakes, you would need Birusu and Uisu to be capable of destroying something that cannot be quick-fixed with the db's, and for the main characters to know this particular thing can't be wished back. The danger of being completely wiped from existence that was on Vegeta's shoulders near the end of the Buu arc when he fought Buu while already dead is an example. Piccolo and Kuririn being turned to stone by Dabura, even though I can't prove one way or the other if the DB's could've fixed that, is a similar fate-worse-than-death.

Here's my (umpteenth) movie-toy-tie-in-Vegeta theory that's also the darkest one I've come up with; what if he's like that because Birusu or Uisu used their magic to remove Vegeta's pride. The ability to destroy someone's motivation or their dreams, to destroy an essential part of who they are, or trap them within a sort of "And now I must scream." state of being could be arguably more devastating.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Since Bils is the "God of Destruction", perhaps he could have the power to permanently wipe people from existence when he kills them, as though they'd been double-killed? That would certainly up the stakes.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 am

Bussani wrote:Since Bils is the "God of Destruction", perhaps he could have the power to permanently wipe people from existence when he kills them, as though they'd been double-killed? That would certainly up the stakes.
So like when you die when your already dead? That's awesome. Well, I doubt anyone would die from him in the movie if that condition was set, but I do think it would be cool for it to be a consequence to add some tension.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:37 am

Insertclevername wrote:So like when you die when your already dead?
Yeah. I mean, Demon Clansman have that thing where people killed by them can't go to the afterlife, so I don't think it would be weird for people killed by the "God of Destruction" to be wiped from existence entirely.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 am

Insertclevername wrote:
Bussani wrote:Since Bils is the "God of Destruction", perhaps he could have the power to permanently wipe people from existence when he kills them, as though they'd been double-killed? That would certainly up the stakes.
So like when you die when your already dead? That's awesome. Well, I doubt anyone would die from him in the movie if that condition was set, but I do think it would be cool for it to be a consequence to add some tension.
I think that might be what he does with that one finger and why SSJ3 Goku stops just short of it. Maybe it's an ability of his, permanent destruction of things with the touch of a finger.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 am

A permanent death ability sounds nice, but if that was the case I highly doubt anybody would be killed. Then again, I highly doubt anyone is going to be killed anyway. :P As far as I remember, none of the good guys ever die in the movies, do they?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:53 am

Yeah, no one important would die under such conditions. But at least there would be some tension for the characters instead of just: "Well, it doesn't matter; we can just wish everyone back later."

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 am

Bussani wrote:Yeah, no one important would die under such conditions. But at least there would be some tension for the characters instead of just: "Well, it doesn't matter; we can just wish everyone back later."
Well to be fair, if this were in the manga or something and Toriyama was writing it someone probably would die under these conditions for dramatic effect but he'd just make up some bs reason why that didn't count later. Vegetto being a permanent fusion of two characters anybody?

Yeah, so I guess since he is involved that could still happen haha. But ultimately we know the outcome of the fates of all the characters anyway so it wouldn't matter.