"Super Saiyan 2" before Goku named it

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puto
I Live Here

Re: "Super Saiyan 2" before Goku named it

Post by Puto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 pm

omegalucas wrote:
Puto wrote:GT's Portuguese dub used Super Warrior 4, but it still used Super Super Warrior for SS3. IIRC there wasn't any utterance of "Super Guerreiro Três" in GT.
Really? I thought there was an episode named "O poder do Super Guerreiro 3 é derrotado" or something...
Hm, maybe. But I distinctly recall hearing Gohan-hypnotised-by-Baby saying something like "Aquela posição... O pai vai-se transformar em Super Super Guerreiro!"
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I didn't even know what exactly a Super Saiyan 2 was until I played Budokai 1. I knew it existed but I couldn't exactly put a finger on who was a Super Saiyan 2 and who wasn't. The closest I heard to something like SSJ2 was Ascended Saiyan.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Puto wrote:
omegalucas wrote:
Puto wrote:GT's Portuguese dub used Super Warrior 4, but it still used Super Super Warrior for SS3. IIRC there wasn't any utterance of "Super Guerreiro Três" in GT.
Really? I thought there was an episode named "O poder do Super Guerreiro 3 é derrotado" or something...
Hm, maybe. But I distinctly recall hearing Gohan-hypnotised-by-Baby saying something like "Aquela posição... O pai vai-se transformar em Super Super Guerreiro!"
Well, Goku refers to Majin Boo as "Bubu" when General Ridl is aproaching the space ship back in the planet M4 but when Vegeta has the big flashback to the time he went "Majin" in the episode before he goes Super Saiyan 4, Goku says clearly that they can't fight or they'll awake "Majin Boo". So, I guess the use of the former dub term and the new dub term, even in the same episode, is entirely possible.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

"Beyond-the-Beyond Super Saiyan"? :?

You know, I wonder if, before Goku "officially" named it "Super Saiyan 2", it was just treated as regular Super Saiyan, along with the Grades. For example, after Gohan becomes SS2 against Kibito at the 25th TB, he says, "Now I'm Super Saiyan. What now? Should we fight like this?" I mean, he does claim that he's surpassed Super Saiyan prior to that, but he still describes it as simply "Super Saiyan".

I guess it was all just "Super Saiyan" before Gokuu went ahead and gave them names to separately divide them between each other. Maybe that's why, on the whole "did Gohan use SS or SS2 against Dabra" thing, neither Gokuu nor Vegeta spoke up about Gohan's aura not having lightning sparks because it was all the same "Super Saiyan" thing to them anyway. (Or, not meaning to open this can of worms again, Gohan actually was SS2, and the sparks just indicate the level of power the Saiyan is using at the time. Toriyama isn't that consistent; Nappa had sparks in his aura when he powered up, and he never even reached SS).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Even after Goku's encounter with Majin Buu where the form was given a proper name, it was still being treated the same way:

Chapter: 489 (DBZ 295), P2.6-9, P3.1-3
Context: after they reach Super Saiyan 3 as Gotenks for the first time
Trunks: “Haah…haah…Hey…! We did it!”
Goten: “Y-yeah! Haah, haah…Amazing! To think that there’s something above Super Saiyan…!”