GT is mostly hated on US, CAN and UK?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: GT is mostly hated on US, CAN and UK?

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm surprise no one talks about how bad the animation looks in GT. DB and DBZ had colorful animation that was fun to look at while GT looked so dry and bland looking.
That, I especially don't agree with. GT is very colourful, I love the colours of the Evil Dragon arc- I love the misty coloured skies and some of the backgrounds, the Super #17 arc was terrible but it had some beautiful backgrounds- Goku fighting Super #17 at sunset and in the forest. It's also very consistent with it's animation with I think I counted 49 out of the 64 episodes being of high quality.

I genuinely enjoy GT. It has beautiful animation, terrific music, I personally like all the character designs except perhaps for Gohan and Goten. I even enjoy the plot. The only things I don't like really are the writing and rather than plotholes I don't like the inconsistencies and logic. It feels like filler logic in DBZ. It's also the only FUNi English dub I have genuine nostalgia for now.

As for the hatred, I do recall a lot of bullying on some dub sites such as Atari. I also do think some jump on the bandwagon such as Youtube comments. But the general consenus of the show is that it sucks which I think is somewhat of a shame.
GT makes one plot mistake the Battle of Gods does not. In Battle of Gods, the trailers and posters don't show this, but in the actual film Gohan does not go Super Saiyan due to the Old Kaioshin's power-up (called "Mystic" Gohan in the fanbase) whereas in GT they forgot this plot point and had Gohan go Super Saiyan without explanation.
Yes, he does. When Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Vegeta and Videl all do the ritual for Goku to become SSJ God, Gohan becomes a Super Saiyan.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Preaching the choir on that on, DBZ Mick. I love GT's art style as well. I love the darker tones and the emphasis on blues, greens and purples.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I also have this impression. Here in Germany it's also more disliked than liked but the people I've come across couldn't really tell me why they dislike or even hate it and this leads me to believe that many just dislike it for the sake of going with the trend of disliking something. Sure, there are people who genuinely dislike it for very good reasons; reasons I also understand and can acknowledge, but other than that, most responses I've when being asked why they dislike GT were parroted statements like "'cuz Vegeta has got a Mustache now man.." or "Son Gohan can go SSJ again, what a load of BS". Also what's really special here in Germany, is the fact that we were promised GT back in 2003 (a year later after Z already finished airing the first time), but it was not until 2006 that we got it and this in a VERY VERY VERY massacred and mutilated version. It was excessively and heavily cut before they even started dubbing it and then they even didn't show 13 episodes, which they didn't dub in the first place at all. You can imagine how pissed off everyone here was. To this day (the first DBGT DVD box is just being released here as I type) no information from the responsible people has been given to us as to why they completely murdered GT here and why they didn't show the 13 episodes (all the episodes involving the three major villains' death as well as SSJ4 Gogeta et cetera). That's why I believe that the most dislike/hate stems from these very reasons here and many don't actually dislike the show itself if it was ever shown properly.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:48 am

I think Bebi was the only thing GT got right in my opinion. He had a back story unlike the other villains in GT and had a motivation. Super 17 and Yi Xing Long were just lazy main villains in my opinion. The other GT villains are forgettable, I pretty much forgot villains like Dolltaki even exist until I saw a image of him on google earlier this week.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 am

InfernalVegito wrote:I also have this impression. Here in Germany it's also more disliked than liked but the people I've come across couldn't really tell me why they dislike or even hate it and this leads me to believe that many just dislike it for the sake of going with the trend of disliking something. Sure, there are people who genuinely dislike it for very good reasons; reasons I also understand and can acknowledge, but other than that, most responses I've when being asked why they dislike GT were parroted statements like "'cuz Vegeta has got a Mustache now man.." or "Son Gohan can go SSJ again, what a load of BS". Also what's really special here in Germany, is the fact that we were promised GT back in 2003 (a year later after Z already finished airing the first time), but it was not until 2006 that we got it and this in a VERY VERY VERY massacred and mutilated version. It was excessively and heavily cut before they even started dubbing it and then they even didn't show 13 episodes, which they didn't dub in the first place at all. You can imagine how pissed off everyone here was. To this day (the first DBGT DVD box is just being released here as I type) no information from the responsible people has been given to us as to why they completely murdered GT here and why they didn't show the 13 episodes (all the episodes involving the three major villains' death as well as SSJ4 Gogeta et cetera). That's why I believe that the most dislike/hate stems from these very reasons here and many don't actually dislike the show itself if it was ever shown properly.
They did that here as well on Cheez TV- well at least what I saw of it on TV during the Evil Dragon arc (I just bought/borrowed the DVDs rather than buy them but the TV ran the Evil Dragon arc quicker than the DVD release) . I remember them cutting out the whole scene where the 3 Star Dragon uses Pan as a shield and Goku beating him up- resulting in an awkward fade where Three Star Dragon has Pan and suddenly Goku has Pan back in literally a second. Also they cut an episode to the end credits before the episode even finished...!
I think Bebi was the only thing GT got right in my opinion. He had a back story unlike the other villains in GT and had a motivation. Super 17 and Yi Xing Long were just lazy main villains in my opinion.
I agree in terms of background and motivation for the character. I also think the Evil Dragons had somewhat decent background, maybe not so much for their own individual characters but why they existed and thus. I'm probably the only one who likes the execution of that arc- silly and powerful dragons and all.

I actually liked the majority of the villians too. Infact all the designs for the planets in GT. Guess I'm just a sucker for GT. :P
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 am

DBZ Mick wrote:I agree in terms of background and motivation for the character. I also think the Evil Dragons had somewhat decent background, maybe not so much for their own individual characters but why they existed and thus. I'm probably the only one who likes the execution of that arc- silly and powerful dragons and all.

I actually liked the majority of the villians too. Infact all the designs for the planets in GT. Guess I'm just a sucker for GT. :P
Nah you're not the only one who likes the Evil Dragons arc. I thought it was pretty good. A bit short though, but nonetheless a good idea. The consequences of using the dragon balls 7 times which thus creates the seven dragons. How strong would the dragons from the black star dragon balls be if they were used 7 times? Hahaha. Which brings a point. After Bebi makes his wish, the black star dragon balls are scattered through the universe and are never all found again?

I will admit that the Super 17 saga is horrible for GT. I don't mind watching it. It's entertaining and Super 17 looks kind of cool, but why bring a villain from DBZ back? It feels like a filler of a filler. 6 episodes. Maybe Toei though back then that Android 17 was very cool as a villain back in DBZ, only to be surprised that Cell was the hottest villain and the strongest and most important of the Androids. Anyways, I'll always take the Super 17 saga over Garlic Jr. Saga.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 am

I liked DBGT mostly because I grew up watching it (correct order: DB > DBZ > DBGT) and the soundtrack is wonderful to listen to.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 am

After Bebi makes his wish, the black star dragon balls are scattered through the universe and are never all found again?
I assumed Piccolo dying at the end of the Baby arc turned them into stone personally.
I will admit that the Super 17 saga is horrible for GT. I don't mind watching it. It's entertaining and Super 17 looks kind of cool, but why bring a villain from DBZ back? It feels like a filler of a filler. 6 episodes. Maybe Toei though back then that Android 17 was very cool as a villain back in DBZ, only to be surprised that Cell was the hottest villain and the strongest and most important of the Androids. Anyways, I'll always take the Super 17 saga over Garlic Jr. Saga.
Having finally seen the Garlic Jr arc, I agree (although I somewhat enjoyed it). Super 17 arc had it's moments- Super #17 was a somewhat cool design, seeing all the old villians back was kinda enjoyable (Vegeta killing Nappa again gave me a chuckle and Goku vs Cell and Freeza....was terrible but the premise of it was cool- although Cell and Freeza were POORLY animated), also the animation when it was good, was beautiful as I mentioned above. Also having #18 playing somewhat of a role at the end was nice.

-DemonRin

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:52 am

DBZ Mick wrote:I assumed Piccolo dying at the end of the Baby arc turned them into stone personally.
Of course. Brilliant!
DBZ Mick wrote:Having finally seen the Garlic Jr arc, I agree (although I somewhat enjoyed it). Super 17 arc had it's moments- Super #17 was a somewhat cool design, seeing all the old villians back was kinda enjoyable (Vegeta killing Nappa again gave me a chuckle and Goku vs Cell and Freeza....was terrible but the premise of it was cool- although Cell and Freeza were POORLY animated), also the animation when it was good, was beautiful as I mentioned above. Also having #18 playing somewhat of a role at the end was nice.
Congrats on seeing the Garlic Jr arc. I also enjoyed it too my first time, especially since I saw it on TV on the Mexican dub on it's original run. Although I re-watched the whole ALL the series again, it was a pain to go through the Garlic Jr. saga, but I did watch it all of it again and I will probably not ever watch it again, unless I somehow get my hands on ALL DB/DBZ/DBGT in Japanese, and so it will be the last time I will watch that arc, when I get there as I'm watching all of it in Japanese.

I agree on everything that you said about the Super 17 arc. I would of just preferred it to be a GT movie. It's not a pain to watch like Garlic Jr though.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Preaching the choir on that on, DBZ Mick. I love GT's art style as well. I love the darker tones and the emphasis on blues, greens and purples.
I can't stomach the long, sharp noses...

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:33 pm

sangofe wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:Preaching the choir on that on, DBZ Mick. I love GT's art style as well. I love the darker tones and the emphasis on blues, greens and purples.
I'm not a fan of that either but weren't noses like that at the end of the manga as well?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I got to watch GT twice when I was a kid in two different countries with two different dubs and I still don't care for it.

When it aired in England with the blue water dub I remember feeling like a lonely viewer as most of my friends who I talked DBZ with didn't watch it. Most of the time watching it just made me miss DBZ. The change of voice cast and the somber Japanese score probably didn't help much (although it did grow on you after a while). After GT ended in the UK I moved to South Africa for a while and got to watch it again this time with the FUnimation dub which felt like a totally different show with the rap opening and all. The only kicks I got out of it where trolling others who hadn't seen it yet with fake spoilers.

I probably dislike GT even more now than I did growing up due to the scrutiny that comes with older age. The story inconsistencies and weird character designs are a major put off for me. Besides the soundtrack there just isn't anything redeeming about it IMO. Even the stuff I do fondly remember from GT such as the brief return of Cell and Freeza seem really poorly executed when I watch it now.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Yi Xing Long comes out of nowhere and we pretty much knew nothing about him. There was no build up to his appearance at all. He is like how Darth Maul was in Episode I, he looks cool but his character development was so lacking. He was a evil dragon that wants to destroy the universe and that's it. Toei could have done so much more with him and make him more sinister.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 am

True, true.

I do think they could have developed him more. I mean in the actual show they never tell you what wish he was born from. He did have somewhat of a Freeza personality which was interesting.

-DemonRin

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:16 am

The story is wafer-thin so they had to draaaaaag it out soooooo much. Then ratings fell so they crammed a wholebunchastuffin. The pacing infuriates me.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Bebi was the only thing GT got right in my opinion. He had a back story unlike the other villains in GT and had a motivation. Super 17 and Yi Xing Long were just lazy main villains in my opinion. The other GT villains are forgettable, I pretty much forgot villains like Dolltaki even exist until I saw a image of him on google earlier this week.
His back story was interesting but like most things in GT it is just recycled material. He also breaks down way too early so nothing interesting really comes from his final battle.
And yeah, the villains in the first arc are pretty forgettable but they are also in maybe two episodes each(aside from Rilld).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:41 am

DBZ Mick wrote:I do think they could have developed him more. I mean in the actual show they never tell you what wish he was born from. He did have somewhat of a Freeza personality which was interesting.
It's not said in the show itself, but according to the GT Perfect Files he was born from the wish to revive all those killed by Freeza and co. on Namek. During the evil dragon arc, whenever they reference all the wishes made on the dragon balls over the years, they have a picture of Freeza looming ominously over the dragon balls, which is possibly a reference to this wish.

DBZ Mick wrote:
After Bebi makes his wish, the black star dragon balls are scattered through the universe and are never all found again?
I assumed Piccolo dying at the end of the Baby arc turned them into stone personally.
That's explicitly said by Piccolo, isn't it? It's the main reason he stays behind on Earth as it explodes.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:02 am

It's not said in the show itself, but according to the GT Perfect Files he was born from the wish to revive all those killed by Freeza and co. on Namek. During the evil dragon arc, whenever they reference all the wishes made on the dragon balls over the years, they have a picture of Freeza looming ominously over the dragon balls, which is possibly a reference to this wish.
Yeah, thanks for that Herms, I remember reading that in the Beckett magazines.
That's explicitly said by Piccolo, isn't it? It's the main reason he stays behind on Earth as it explodes.
Probably, I'm not 100% sure.
The story is wafer-thin so they had to draaaaaag it out soooooo much. Then ratings fell so they crammed a wholebunchastuffin. The pacing infuriates me.
I think it's generally well placed except for the beginning 16 episodes which are so-so.

-DemonRin

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:11 am

Personally I absolutely love GT. Not going to go into full fanboy mode, but I put it right beside the others in the series. No, I didn't see it first, but I did manage to see it before my peers due to bootlegging back in the day. I'll admit, if I saw the Funimation English dub first, my opinion might be a little different. I found the voice acting and music they added made it very dry.

For the most part, at least on this forum, people who dislike it have valid points, and I totally respect 'em. I do get the feeling, at least on other parts of the internet, that people just dislike it because it "wasn't created by Toriyama". I can't go to a youtube video without reading some idiotic or immature comment.

I'll hear people calling it a plot hole that Vegeta can cut his hair or grow a mustache, which is beyond silly.

I'll see people criticize SSJ4, saying the look is too different to be called a true Saiyan form, then turn around and jizz over the new SSJ God form.

"All they do is suck Goku's dick in GT!" Then in Battle of Gods they turn him into Jesus Christ. In fact, the whole needing "5 Saiyan power" or something is pretty much done in Toyble's AF which I find hilarious.

I'll see people call GT "a poorly written fan-fiction" but accept blindly the Dragonball Online story (which if someone else had wrote in a fanfic, it'd be dismissed as AF nonsense)

Perhaps people just genuinely like those ideas and concepts. But my eyebrow raises ever so slightly when people accept all the other crap but come down on GT so vehemently.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:48 am

Insertclevername wrote:
sangofe wrote:
I'm not a fan of that either but weren't noses like that at the end of the manga as well?
I suggest you go have a look at the manga. The noses are a bit sharper, but far from the level GT bring the noses!