GT is mostly hated on US, CAN and UK?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super 17
Regular

GT is mostly hated on US, CAN and UK?

Post by Super 17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:57 pm

So over the years, I've talked to many fans of all parts of the world, I also browsed through a lot of forums and through comments on youtube, etc etc and it seems like a lot of the GT hatred comes from English speaking countries. Now in the Spanish speaking countries (All South America plus Brazil) and the rest of Europe, GT has a place in their hearts. Of course there are a few who hate GT, but through my experience over the years, it's not even a quarter of the hatred that the English speaking countries has.

Whether you hate it or not, GT was part of an original run that started the franchise. 1986-1997. As well as worldwide. I know it's the weakest of the three, but one of them has to be the weakest. Kind of like all The Godfather movies, the third one is the weakest, but it was still watchable.

So why is there so much hatred from these English countries compared to the rest? Is it because they didn't get the original music (but they wouldn't have known what is original). Is it because English people take negative comments from others and get influenced easily without truly making a decision?

If you truly hate GT, like truly truly, then I totally respect that. But if you hate it because you want to follow the rest, then shame on you! No matter how ugly the negative feedback I see for GT, I would never hate it. To me it's part of the original timeline that follows DB and DBZ. Side stories to me are all the DB and DBZ movies. All the 4 specials, (3 from Z (3rd one is Heya Son Goku and Friends) and one from GT) is part of the original timeline to me.

I've yet to see Battle of Gods. Even though it looks good, to me it probably would be a side story since in GT, the SSJG concept never happened.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: GT is mostly hated on US, CAN and UK?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:11 pm

From what I remember seeing that most Japanese fans didn't care for GT that much neither. I remember browsing around Japanese sites like a decade ago and it didn't like most Japanese fans didn't like GT that much.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 pm

A few years back I recall there being an interview with some DB game developer discussing the inclusion of GT characters in the games, and he said that GT was not as popular in Japan as in the US. Which at the time seemed hillarious, because GT is about as popular as death over here, but maybe that guy was thinking of Western fans in general? Anyway, with all the GT stuff in DB Heroes, I have to wonder if GT is getting more popular in Japan?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 pm

I liked GT too, not as good as the original series though. Also, among people I know in real life, GT is actually more popular than the original DB. O_O

Also since you mentioned it I happen to like Godfather Part III a lot, Sophia Coppola's acting is crap but Francis did an amazing job on directing it.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 pm

GT was unfortunate, by the time it arrived, most people had made up their minds either through reading or had seen enough clips online. It received a lot of vitriol in Australia before it was released, but then once it was announced and licensed barely a peep. I can remember many a rant on the Madboards about how awful it was. And really, it's not that bad. It's not exactly good, but I've certainly softened on it.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Herms wrote:Anyway, with all the GT stuff in DB Heroes, I have to wonder if GT is getting more popular in Japan?
I often wonder just how popular GT is in Japan. I almost shit myself when V-Jump came out with an issue last year that had Son Goku GT and Baby Vegeta on the cover. The one that had the Victory Mission chapter, "The Fiendish Janenba Baby."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm

There's a video floating around where Hironobu Kageyama does a cover of GT's opening theme, but before he does so, a guy next to him mutters "doesn't that one suck though?" or something to that extent. The podcast talked about it once.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Herms wrote:Anyway, with all the GT stuff in DB Heroes, I have to wonder if GT is getting more popular in Japan?
Other then Heroes, I haven't seen much GT merchandise lately. So far S.H Figuarts have only doing figures for Dragon Ball Z characters only. Toys seems to be Dragon Ball's biggest selling point in Japan from what I've been told.
She/Her

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 pm

B wrote:There's a video floating around where Hironobu Kageyama does a cover of GT's opening theme, but before he does so, a guy next to him mutters "doesn't that one suck though?" or something to that extent. The podcast talked about it once.
Is it this one?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:11 pm

It's possible that GT is reaching that point where nostalgia takes over for a lot of people. I don't know if it's "getting more popular" but I wouldn't doubt that kids who were 9 or 10 in the late 90s are now going through their nostalgia phase when reflecting on it. That alone is probably enough to get people to think that something they may have hated at the time wasn't really that bad in retrospect. And honestly, in comparison to a lot of modern anime, GT actually isn't all that bad. So if it is getting more popular in Japan, I can see why.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I hope so. I like a lot of things in GT. Maybe it might lead to cool new things in the future if it gets a resurgence in popularity.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:From what I remember seeing that most Japanese fans didn't care for GT that much neither. I remember browsing around Japanese sites like a decade ago and it didn't like most Japanese fans didn't like GT that much.
I saw the original broadcast of Dragon Ball GT while I was living in Japan and absolutely loved it! Not once did I ever see someone think so lowly of it until I came back to America.
I think when something is new that it will be popular and everyone will start loving it. Once it's over then people start to notice how bad it was. I also remember reading that the ratings for GT was going downhill before the show was finish. That could explain why they did the whole Super 17 saga in order to boost up ratings. I still think if GT had better ratings then Toei would most likely done more shows after 1997.
She/Her

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I kinda like GT when it was on CNX. I enjoyed the opening (English Dan Dan not Grand tour crap) and Instrumental of Hitori Janai and the series had some good ideas but they were poorly executed.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 pm

When companies talk about the popularity of the series, they are basing it on the ratings, and based on the ratings GT wasn't hated in Japan, it just didn't do quite as well as Z, and in the US it had better ratings. It was succesful enough in Japan to last 64 episodes, 1 tv special, and produce a ton of merchandise. There were GT toys, action figures, candy, food, school supplies, clothes, posters, trading cards, and more

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Didn't GT succeed in the US? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the Japanese fans who hate GT the most. Almost every fan in Japan I know says it's awful as fuck that it'd better left unmentioned, and I agree with them. Many of them seem to be disgusted by the idea of reviving GT stuff in DB Heroes, like "Hey, they're finally using characters from GT! They must be run out of ideas that they have faced no choice but to use stuff from that god awful GT. They sure have no principles, don't they?". I have no idea about very casual fans, though.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I don't hate GT, but I don't like it enough to buy it either. I'm...ambivalent towards it? I think I'd care about it more if they hadn't turned and left Goku as a child for the entire run; that was the thing that irritated me the most. Pilaf Gang turned into children in BOG is hilarious, but Goku turned into a child is annoying. >_>

I did like the mini sub-plot of "Vegeta grows a mustache for unknown reasons; Bra is horrified by said mustache, Vegeta shaves the mustache, goes to show off his clean-shaven face and nobody he shows off to cares." XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

I'd have to agree with Kei. I may not be the oldest fan here (I've been into the series since somewhere around 2001 I think), but I definitely remember hearing of the general hatred towards GT early on in my fandom. This was well before the Funi version of the series. I don't want to come across as some generalizing jackass, but I honestly didn't see much love for the series until Funimation told us to step into the Grand Tour. It's felt to me for years like the dub fanbase was the group that actually latched on to the series. Everything I've seen online suggests that things are actually quite the opposite of what this topic title describes. The English speaking fanbase, specifically the Funi dub watching part of that fanbase, seems to be relatively fond of the series. Like Herms said, one of the developers on a game (I believe it was Ultimate Tenkaichi) noted the requests for GT characters from US fans. A certain portion of the fans apparently stepped into the Grand Tour and loved it.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:17 pm

kei17 wrote:Didn't GT succeed in the US? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the Japanese fans who hate GT the most. Almost every fan in Japan I know says it's awful as fuck that it'd better left unmentioned, and I agree with them. Many of them seem to be disgusted by the idea of reviving GT stuff in DB Heroes, like "Hey, they're finally using characters from GT! They must be run out of ideas that they have faced no choice but to use stuff from that god awful GT. They sure have no principles, don't they?". I have no idea about very casual fans, though.
Well, from my experience, I feel GT has garnered a lot of hate in the US as well. I think it was successful here because the...*clears thoat* DeeBeeZee!!1!1 craze was still going strong here around 2004. Not to mention, GT is more like Z in terms of it's action and aesthetic, which was the predominant series in the US (even more so when you consider that the first episodes of GT where all the classic inspired Dragon Ball adventures took place were cut out).

Other than that I feel like GT is very much despised in the west. Almost every time someone brings it up, whether that be on Youtube comments or fan made stuff, GT almost always gets bashed one way or another (so much so I'm starting to wonder if half the people who hate on it have even seen a majority of it).

I can't confirm this but it seems like Latin American regions don't really hate GT that much. Anyone from those regions like to confirm or deny this? I just kind of got that impression.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm not surprised that GT is more liked in the US than in Japan. Sure, lots of people rip on it, but there are also many defending it as well. From what I hear, Japan has the first and not the second.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!