Assumptions you have made?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Assumptions you have made?

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am

Did you ever assume something when watching/reading the series that didn't turn out to be true? When I first saw Pilaf I assumed he was Garlic Senior.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Re: Assumptions you have made?

Post by Necrosaber » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 am

I thought Yamcha and Goku were either related or Yamcha was a Saiyan, too.

I assumed Tullece was just another brother of Goku. Kinda like Data, Lore, and B4 in Star Trek, haha.

I thought Garlic Jr and his crew were the same race is Kami and Piccolo.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 am

ringworm128 wrote:Did you ever assume something when watching/reading the series that didn't turn out to be true? When I first saw Pilaf I assumed he was Garlic Senior.
Funny, when I first saw Garlic Jr. I thought he was Pilaf.

I also thought Paikuhan was a Namekian (think a lot of kids did).

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 am

I assumed, for "Episode of Bardock," that the reason Bardock went back in time when Freeza attacked him was because the immense power of Freeza's ki blast somehow evolved Bardock's precognitive powers to such a degree that he was launched backward through the time stream.

..............Otherwise known as my own desperate attempt to make sense of something that doesn't make sense.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Way back in the days of the old dub on Toonami, I thought "Kakarot" was Goku's last name, because in the U.S., it's not uncommon for people who you are on less than friendly terms with to call you by your last name.

I found an online quiz to test my Dragon Ball knowledge that asked the true-or-false question if Krillin had a daughter. This was the summer of... 2001, I believe, so I clicked false.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm another one who thought Paikuhan was a namekian, until he removed his hat. :P That's about it really.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Goku, Raditz, Turles, Vegeta, Yamcha (yes Yamcha) were all brothers.... I was a stupid ass kid back then :P
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:32 pm

The first episode of DBZ I saw was the one during Gohan's training for the Saiyans and encounter with that old robot in the ruins. I thought Gohan was grandpa Gohan in his youth.

Also, after DBZ I thought that Goku has gotten so insanely powerful that if there were to be a continuation they should wish him back into a kid. And that surprisingly became true. :P
酷签名

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:37 pm

I thought Garlic Jr. was the son of Pilaf as well. I thought DBZ Movie 1 deal with Garlic Jr. getting revenge on Goku for screwing up Pilaf's plans.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:50 pm

When Dragon Ball started airing on Toonami, I thought Pilaf was Garlic Jr.
-Joey

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:06 pm

When I saw the Oob episodes, I couldn't understand his connection with Boo (I was 7), so I thought that Boo was originally a symbiotic life-form like Venom in Spider-man, and that he had absorbed Oob, which transformed him into Pure Boo.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:03 pm

I remember playing Hyper Dimension on my Snes I thought (having no knowledge of the Boo arc) that fat Boo was Kaio.

..I was a stupid kid.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:17 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:When I saw the Oob episodes, I couldn't understand his connection with Boo (I was 7), so I thought that Boo was originally a symbiotic life-form like Venom in Spider-man, and that he had absorbed Oob, which transformed him into Pure Boo.
Funnny, I assumed the opposite about Venom (that he absorbed people like Majin Boo).

Some others...

*I assumed the humans were on par with the Saiyans and that Kuririn was the weakest human
*I heard that Super Saiyan had spiked up hair, but assumed it would still be black
*I assumed that Golden Oozaru was just Super Saiyan Oozaru, and that their would be Super Saiyan 2 and 3 Oozaru to follow.
*I assumed that Goku and Vegeta were stronger than Ultimate Gohan
*I assumed that Boo arc Piccolo was SS2-tier (well, actually I was told that and I was stupid enough to believe it)
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:43 am

Another thing I thought as a kid was that the characters didn't get any stronger during the series, except if they grew up or transform. For example, Goku (Son Goku arc) = Goku (Daimao arc) < Goku (23rd TB arc) = Goku (28th TB arc) < SS Goku (Freeza arc) = SS Goku (Boo arc) < SS2 Goku < SS3 Goku.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:48 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Another thing I thought as a kid was that the characters didn't get any stronger during the series, except if they grew up or transform. For example, Goku (Son Goku arc) = Goku (Daimao arc) < Goku (23rd TB arc) = Goku (28th TB arc) < SS Goku (Freeza arc) = SS Goku (Boo arc) < SS2 Goku < SS3 Goku.
Yeap, that's the same for me. For a long time I believed Piccolo was stronger than any Super Saiyan 1, only outdone by the Grades and SS2/3. Obviously not at the same time I believed he was SS2-tier, as that would have contradicted itself. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:47 pm

As a kid i used to think Pikkon and Piccolo new each other or were related in some way. It's not a surprise i thought this when you see Pikkon's reaction when Goku mentions Piccolo to him :D

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm

As a kid I watched the Original Dragonball but not Z, so I only saw bits and pieces of it in kids magazines I used to buy.
So I never got that Grandpa Gohan was not actually Goku´s granfather. And then I saw pictures of Gohan and learned that he was Goku´s son, and some pictures of Goten and for some reason I assumed he was Gohan´s son also called Goku. So I thought, that there was an endless circle of Gokus and Gohans.
yeah...
-凯

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:04 pm

I thought Cell was a robot like 16 when I was super young. I was confused when Goku blasted him with the kamehameha and somehow had his head back.