Starting the Japanese Version!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Starting the Japanese Version!

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 pm

So, I'm getting ready to watch through all of Dragonball with the Japanese soundtrack and voices for the first time. Starting tomorrow! Yay! So, in order to help hype me up for this, could you all let me know who some of your favorite Japanese voice actors are? I hear Freeza's is amazing, which is awesome, seeing how he is my favorite villian and Linda Young didn't really do him justice.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Starting the Japanese Version!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Wow. Having that question put to me is surprising in that I'm finding it a lot harder to answer than I expected. I mean, I could probably compliment nearly every major actor in the series, so having to pick out my favorites seems almost impossible. I will try, though, to do a couple.

Tanaka Mayumi as Kuririn is and always has been one of my absolute favorites. The mirth, the doubt, the wackiness. She captures everything and makes Kuririn even more likeable than he already is. And she turns out some very hilarious performances. She's also very easy on the ears. Her Yajirobe is equally amazing. Her Uranai Baba is a bit of a letdown, but that's not because it's bad in itself but only because Takiguchi Junpei had already given her such a unique and distinctive voice.

Horikawa Ryo as Vegeta is just so awesome. Even in parts of the series where I can't stand the character, I still love listening to him. He has such a deep, cocky... smoooooooth voice, especially at the beginning. When he's looking down on the earthlings and telling them to hatch their little plan against Nappa, just... damn. And, of course, no one can do manic, homicidal screaming like Horikawa.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Well, bear in mind that all of these assessments come with the caveat that I don't speak Japanese, and therefore, don't know for a fact that they're good. All I can go on are general vibes. Having said that, going off of general vibes...

If you're anything like me, I think you will love Ryusei Nakao's performance as Freeza, Ryo Horikawa's performance as Vegeta (especially his scenes with Freeza), and Masako Nozawa as Goku. The only misgiving I personally have with the Japanese version is that whoever voiced the character first voiced them for all of their incarnations afterwords, regardless of age. I think many of the characters would have been better-suited with different voice actors depending on their age, but even then, I would never consider the acting in the Japanese version bad. You're in for a treat!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 pm

The original voice of Muten Roshi makes me laugh, Nozawa is super cute as young Goku, and I really dig whoever voices Buu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:21 pm

ABED wrote: Nozawa is super cute as young Goku,
Agreed! Even more so as (chibi) Goten! :)

Furukawa is awesome as Piccolo, especially when screaming an attack name!

"Mankankosappo!!!"
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:36 pm

I have always loved Tōru Furuya in general. He was Yamucha, Seiya (Saint Seiya), even Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon), and most likely many others I haven't discovered, haha. But I love his voice and I think it suits Yamucha pretty darn well.
So mondo lame.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Norio Wakamoto is one of the best voices in the Japanese version. Wakamoto does an excellent job of making Cell's voice seem real with each form he takes, from the lizard-like first form to the almost smooth, collected final form (well, until he eventually loses his cool against certain characters).

Ryusei Nakao is also great for the same reasons. The emotion that Nakao puts into Freeza is top notch.

I love so much of the Japanese cast that I'm afraid I can't choose a favorite. There's too many great voice actors/actresses to mention in one post!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Nozawa is perfect as Son Goku. I can't look at Goku and not hear her voice after watching the show. She really is Goku just like Toriyama says.

Gojira Attacks!

Post by Gojira Attacks! » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 am

Man, I remember the first time I saw the Japanese version. It was a fansub. Anyway, the "battle music" is super good. In fact, the whole soundtrack
is a classic. I still get chills from the "Motiviational Son Goku Speech" music sometimes.

Anyway, Freeza. By far. It's just the best voice for a villain, ever. His laugh is just wonderful. Ho! Ho! Ho!, indeed.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 am

There are quite a few instances where he talks about choosing the voice of Goku.

Toriyama’s Daizenshuu 3 interview:

– Were there any jobs you did directly for the “DB” anime?

Toriyama: In cases where characters appeared in the anime before they were shown in color in the manga, I sent a response to the animators at Toei through my editor. After that, I listened to the voice actor audition tapes, and decided on the casting. When I decided on Goku’s voice, I listened to the voices of five or six candidates, and out of those I decided on Masako Nozawa-san.

– What were your impressions on hearing Goku’s voice during the actual broadcast?

Toriyama: I went “Goku has this sort of voice, doesn’t he”. From then on, when I was drawing the manga, the characters’ voices would somehow drift up into my mind. Whenever that happened, Goku’s voice would be just like Nozawa-san‘s, and I’d think “Geez, she’s good”. Now it’s impossible to separate Goku from Nozawa-san.

The World’s Best Round-Table Discussion:

- You also listened to the audition tapes, didn’t you, Sensei?

Toriyama: Yes, I did. I had the honor of selecting Nozawa-san and the other principal voice actors. Although, I’m very sorry, but I had almost no connection to anime. So, even listening to Nozawa-san’s voice on the tape, it didn’t occur to me that she was a veteran; it was purely that Nozawa-san matched my own internal image of Goku’s voice.

Sources:
- http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/
- http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ma-nozawa/
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 am

The main cast are all great, but Freeza and Cell will really stick with you.

Baby is also a creepy fuck.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:04 am

Shiyonasan wrote:Norio Wakamoto is one of the best voices in the Japanese version.
Norio Wakamoto is one of the best voices in anything.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 am

I only know a small amount of Japanese, but I've always got the feeling that the Japanese voice acting in it's entirity is of extremely high quality. The voices don't sound "goofy" and usually suit the characters more, and the acting seems deeper. There is the problem, for non-Japanese speakers, that the dialects and formal/non-formal forms etc don't really come across in the subtitles properly, so you don't get to fully appreciate how eloquent Freeza is or how much of a hick Goku is, for example, but even with the loss of these subtleties it's all really good.

I suppose if I had to choose, Vegeta's voice would be my favourite. As has already been said, it's deep with a really cool smoothness, and it fits his character much better than his English voice.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am

The whole cast is darn amazing but...

Ryusei Nakao's Freeza is just....incredible. He puts so much depth to his voice- especially in the more meaty parts when Freeza starts breaking down. He's also delightful as the polite Freeza. Freeza became one of my favourite characters after hearing his voice.

Masako Nozawa IS Son Goku. That's just how good she is.

Kōhei Miyauchi- Perfection in Roshi's lecherous and serious side. The song he sings in a filler segment during the 21st Budokai is utterly hilarious!

Shigeru Chiba- he has such rich range. Voicing the squeaky Pilaf to the really deep sounding Raditz.

Norio Wakamoto- His screams are incredible. I also like the smug sound to his Perfect Cell and all these bizarre animal like sounds and snarls in Cell's first form.

Kenji Utsumi- His ReaCoom has this really creepy playful sadist sound to it.

Hideyuki Hori- Really captures the posing ala sentai side to Ginyu in a exuberant fashion and also Ginyu's serious side well.

Toshio Furukawa- As Piccolo- I love the emphasis he puts on certain words, he puts this really wicked edge to his voice when Piccolo was evil but also has this great sage like voice when Piccolo merges with God and during Piccolo's serious moments. He also has an amazing laugh- also when PIccolo is evil. He also voices General Blue but I can't remember his voice well, lol...

Ryo Horikawa- He gives Vegeta these amazing bouts of rage and delivers some really impressive screams during his prime in DBZ. He also during the Namek arc gives Vegeta at times these playful sadist sound to him.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 am

Several, but in particular for voice actor and character:

Masako Nozawa (Goku), Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo), Ryo Horikawa (Vegeta), Ryusei Nakao (Freeza), Norio Wakamoto (Cell), Jouji Yanami (Babidi), Kozo Shioya (Majin Buu), and Daiske Gori (Mr.Satan).

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

I really like Kozo Shioya's Buu. He can bring a child like character to life with the ability to switch to an angry/mean version of it in a flash without sounding forced. I also liked how he voiced all versiuons of Buu which maintained continuity.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 am

Bussani wrote:
Shiyonasan wrote:Norio Wakamoto is one of the best voices in the Japanese version.
Norio Wakamoto is one of the best voices in anything.
I won't argue with that! :lol:

Another voice I'll add here is Hiromi Tsuru as Bulma. The Cast Guide on Kanzenshuu describes her well:
She’s an excellent actress who always seems to know the right notes for a difficult character like Bulma.
Whether she's angry or calm, Tsuru defintiely voices the "right notes" for Bulma. I couldn't think of a better voice actress for Bulma than Tsuru.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I can remember when I finally started watching the Japanese version a few years back too. Really good and fun times, I sometimes wish I'd discussed my journey through it here more than I did FUNi, but thankfully there were still some people popping in to give me some good discussion on the subject. :D I hope you enjoy checking out the original version as much as I did.

As for my favorite members of the Japanese cast...it goes without saying that Masako Nozawa, if you can get past the oddness of her playing adult Goku, will take your breath away in the lead role. I recommend (if you weren't already going to) starting with the original Dragon Ball, that way you get a lot of time with her as the character, so that it's not so incredibly jarring when you get to her playing the character as an adult. I think that's where a lot of the problems some people have with her as Goku comes from is they don't get that chance to get used to her as the kid form of the character first, so it's all the more jarring in DBZ.

Kohei Miyauchi's Roshi is absolutely hilarious in the right scenes too, and endearing when it needs to be as well. I'm also rather fond of Naoki Tatsuta's Oolong for some reason. Shigeru Chiba's Pilaf absolutely STEALS the show when he's around (one of the other reasons I'm excited for Battle of Gods). Believe it or not, I'm more fond of Toshio Furukawa as General Blue and Takeshi Aono as Murasaki and Piccolo Daimao, then I am of them as Piccolo and Kami respectively. Ryo Horikawa's great as Vegeta too, especially in his 'prideful' moments. Ryusei Nakao's Freeza and Norio Wakamoto's Cell get enough praise without me adding to it - but yeah, they're awesome.

The late, great, Daisuke Gouri is absolutely amazing as Mr. Satan too, he does a lot of voices throughout the series but it's there that he finally hits his peak I think. I also find Yuko Minaguchi's Videl to be adorably cute and spunky. Also, Jouji Yanami's narrator grows on you a lot throughout the series as well, and you end up loving it before you realize it.

My absolute, #1 favorite though? Mayumi Tanaka's Kuririn. She just...gah. She made me love the character all over again, when I already knew I loved the guy just from the dub alone. She owns the role just as much as Nozawa owns Goku, which may be why it's so hard for me to hear her Luffy for some reason - I can't help but hear Kuririn.
Cipher wrote:Baby is also a creepy fuck.
This too. I forget his name, but whoever plays Baby does this really creepy thing with his tone when the character first appears, it's amazing. Sadly he kind of drops that later into the arc though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Great insight into the voice actors, really gets me excited as I'm planning to watch the whole series all the way through with the Japanese voice actors for the first time in the summer. (Yep, I'm gonna spend summer inside, watching TV :lol: ) Only seen the movies and specials and the odd episode in Japanese, so am really excited. Hopefully the Dragonball Dragon Boxes will be out by then, but if not I will get the Blue bricks.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Aw,man, I forgot so many- Mr. Satan's seiyuu, Kuririn's seiyuu, Kaio/Narrator seiyuu, Tenshinhan's original seiyuu, Videl's seiyuu, Bulma seiyuu...
:x

They're all so great.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin