Goku's dub personality

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Goku's dub personality

Post by Sin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm

So I've seen quite a few posts about Goku being portrayed as a 'hick' (man I hate that word) or some kind of hillbilly in the original Japanese manga/anime. Now looking back on my childhood a lot of the things I liked about Goku almost seem invalidated by learning that in the source material he was never intended to be a Superman type character, but as a kid I loved his 'ally to good' speech (admittedly it doesn't make much sense now) and I loved his portrayal as a hero of justice. In fact I can't imagine how I would've felt about Goku being this low-IQ guy with a lack of eloquence, I'm certain I wouldn't have enjoyed his character as much.

Maybe it's because I'm a bad fan, and I'm sure a lot of people would say it was disrespectful to the source material, but I think I'd always prefer a Funi Goku (not the voice actor, just the personality) over the source Goku. Am I alone in this? Does it make me a terrible fan?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Goku's dub personality

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Sin wrote:Am I alone in this? Does it make me a terrible fan?
I wouldn't be surprised if there are elitist jerks out there who would say it does--in any franchise, there will always be a group of people who try to tout some odd sense of superiority by claiming, "I'm a more hardcore fan than you!"--but rest assured, it does not make you a terrible fan. It simply makes you a fan of the English "reversion" rather than the original source material, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that. The only thing I consider "wrong" within fandom is when people start to look down on others for having preferences (and in the case of "Dragon Ball," that goes both ways...I'm not fond of fans of the dub who look down on fans who like the original Japanese version, and vice versa).

Here's something I will say to your credit, though. I don't think Goku is quite as selfish as some people make him out to be. He has traits of heroism and selflessness in him. I mean, in the scene right before where he does a Times-20 Kaioken to fight Freeza, Freeza was drowning him and he was fading into unconsciousness...and the thing that gave him his "second wind" was the thoughts he had of his friends and loved ones being killed and harmed by Freeza. Immediately before he uses the Kaioken, he says to Freeza (not an exact quote), "For Gohan, Chichi, the people of Earth and the people of Namek...."

If you're completely selfish, that's an odd thing to say!

So he certainly has traits of heroism in him. Enough that I wouldn't hesitate to call him a hero. Ultimately, though, it would only be fair to say that FUNimation tried to give him a "Superman" persona, by toning up his heroic traits and toning down his hillbilly/selfish traits, which is not particularly accurate to the character. He's a low-IQ hillbilly who, thanks to his racial heritage, loves to fight, and felt that subconscious urge to fight ever since he was young. An urge that never truly left him.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:55 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:The only thing I consider "wrong" within fandom is when people start to look down on others for having preferences
QFT. Too bad there are a lot of people who are like this.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:56 pm

It up to you and your opinion.

Personally, I never liked that side to Goku even younger especially the Ally to Good speech. It made him more generic and boring.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:11 pm

You can prefer what you want, but what you prefer isn't Goku.

Super stalwart, pillars of justice are a dime a dozen. I like Goku because, while he usually has good intentions, he's kind of selfish and quirky. He doesn't speak well, but he has a brain for combat. He has his own sense of intelligence, just not a very conventional kind. He enjoys fighting. He wants to be challenged. It means everything to him to have something to test his skills on, to improve himself. He'll still be a hero, right wrongs, fight the bad guys, just not in any kind of self-propelled heroism. He doesn't aspire to be a hero and will even push the consequences of his actions aside for the thrill of fulfilling his own desires. He's not your run-of-the-mill white knight type, and that's what makes him an interesting character. He's a charming manchild, a sort of Gomer Pyle meets Bruce Lee. He still loves his family and doesn't want to see people suffer, but he also has a sense of unintentional rashness I find refreshing. He just has a very different way of thinking.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:23 pm

penguintruth wrote:You can prefer what you want, but what you prefer isn't Goku.

Super stalwart, pillars of justice are a dime a dozen. I like Goku because, while he usually has good intentions, he's kind of selfish and quirky. He doesn't speak well, but he has a brain for combat. He has his own sense of intelligence, just not a very conventional kind. He enjoys fighting. He wants to be challenged. It means everything to him to have something to test his skills on, to improve himself. He'll still be a hero, right wrongs, fight the bad guys, just not in any kind of self-propelled heroism. He doesn't aspire to be a hero and will even push the consequences of his actions aside for the thrill of fulfilling his own desires. He's not your run-of-the-mill white knight type, and that's what makes him an interesting character. He's a charming manchild, a sort of Gomer Pyle meets Bruce Lee. He still loves his family and doesn't want to see people suffer, but he also has a sense of unintentional rashness I find refreshing. He just has a very different way of thinking.
I agree with what you're saying, it's strange really, I find the Japanese Goku more interesting for all the reasons you specify, but maybe that's only at the age I am now, I was never really interested in any kind of depth to characters as a kid. I'm going to pin it down to pure nostalgia as being why I prefer the Goku that stands for 'truth, justice and the American way!' because nowadays my taste in anime hungers for more flawed characters and Funi Goku would never fit my criteria these days. That being said I never grew up with Funi's Goku, well not really, I grew up with the Westwood Dub and have never liked Sean Schemmel.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 pm

I've never seen dub Goku as a "Superhero" except for maybe a couple of his speeches, I just see him as a nice likable guy. And really I hate the whole "you're a bad fan and you don't respect the series if you prefer anything but the original" thing. I respect the source material I just don't let it turn into an obsession/let it dictate how I enjoy something.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:17 pm

People say that by the Cell or Boo-arcs that Goku's personality was accurately, but in the Cell arc, he talks about bringing the "sword of justice" down on Cell, and in the Boo-arc, he tells Gotenks-Boo that he's going to finally "make him pay for his crimes".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Question. Why is it whenever they say they made Goku a "Superhero" they only refer to Silver Age DC and never to Bronze Age-onwards or Marvel, etc?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 pm

What I find interesting about FUNi's and fans' interpretations of Goku is that both tend to swing the pendulum too far. FUNimation made him much more into a white knight, a selfless superhero who stands for great justice, etc. But in their understandable zeal to combat that, the fans of the original, I feel, touted him way too far the other way. Granted, the latter portions of the series somewhat corrupted his character a bit by randomly and jarringly infusing him with a bunch of Saiyan characteristics he never had before, but I still don't feel it's near to the level of selfish, battle-hungry savagery some fans peg him with.

He's simple, yes. He's naive, of course. He loves to fight. But, as much as I love MasakoX's, "Are you that Freezer guy? I'ma punch you in the schnozz!" a never-ending thirst for battle for its own sake is not his only driving force. Blooma didn't convince him to join her by talking about all the skulls he'd get to bash in but for the thrill of adventure and seeing the world. Goku didn't decimate the Red Ribbon Army because he was salivating with blood lust. It was because they attacked him or were harming innocent people. And where was the enticement of battle when he carried Umigame on his back all the way to the ocean? There was no prospect of fighting or even any kind of a reward at all. He simply did the right thing for its own sake. And this was all from the young Goku, the one most people claim was much more willing to use lethal force than his adult counterpart.

So, yeah, to peg Goku as a Superman-esque valiant defender against evil isn't accurate, but he certainly does defend people against evil... just in his own, naive, bumpkin way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm not trying to be elitist here, but as penguintruth says, that just isn't Goku.

If an amateur group of fans got together and dubbed the series and made Goku a super-genius, would that be a legitimate source of how to take the character? Of course not. What makes FUNimation's dub any different? Just because they're "official" and "licensed"? Nah, that doesn't fit.

You, however, can like whatever you want. If you want Chatku to be your de facto Goku, that's your prerogative... hasn't got shit to do with me. Your opinion, I don't fault you for, and it's a legitimate reason (that's how you know the character) but I stand by my opinion. Not to mention, Goku's sort of apathy toward his family, lack of intelligence and eloquence is what makes Goku, Goku. It's very unique, and the dubs always seem to turn him into a 100% benevolent character. Goku is extremely good-natured and polite, but he isn't the White Knight moralist he's made out to be in the dubs.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:52 pm

I liked Funimation's portrayal of the low class wonder when I was little but now?, I certainly feel the Japanese Goku is far superior. His child-like innocence and sense of wonder is so charming. That's not to say the Superman clone, that's the best comparison I can draw here, is bad but it's just very generic. Goku doesn't need the sense of being that unstoppable force that saves the day no matter what whom also has perfect morals. In fact I feel that Funimation is partly responsible for the fans that idolize Goku as the strongest in all of fiction. Goku is just a kid in a mans body in the Japanese version of the show and I find that far more appealing that a traditional super hero. Now Sean Schemmel has redeemed himself through Kai by actually portraying him correctly which is a plus. The question at this point is which voice do you prefer. I have hard time with this myself. Sean is better at making Goku a badass when he needs to be but Masako does a better job making Goku feel like a child. I tend to lean toward Masako but Sean is definitely my second favorite voice for Goku.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:16 am

Again I ask, when you guys say "Superman clone" when do you mean exactly? There have been many different incarnations of Supes over the past 75 years. And he's been played by several actors, none of whom I'd say Schemmel sounds like. And even back then, Goku doesn't live in a world of cardboard. (Though it would've been friggin' awesome had something like that been said to Buu or Omega, then commence @$$ kicking).

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 am

I've always felt that Goku's dub personality came off as a sophisticated, moralizing speech-giver. :|
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am

No English voice actor has ever captured Goku correctly. The problem with the search for an actor to voice the character is not only to find one who can give a believable voice to the character, but also do the character justice. Sean Schemmel in my opinion, does neither. That's why I'm dreading a FUNI dub of Battle of Gods.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 am

Please don't degrade Superman by comparing him to any version of Goku.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 am

TFS spoiled me with MasakoX's Goku and now I can't listen to Funi's Goku at all anymore. XD
*Hopes TFS eventually abridges BOG*.

But yeah, the childish/quirky/selfish/occasionally-pronounces-words-wrong/martial-arts-challenge-loving Goku from the original Japanese version is my fave. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 am

I honestly think people stretch Goku's dub personality way to far just like how they over exaggerate manga Goku as being some heartless fighting machine who only cares for fighting and getting stronger and nothing else. Goku gave a few speeches but most of the time he was just a good guy that didn't like people harming other people for no good reason. He wasn't mentioning day in day out how he wanted to rid the universe of evil, he wasn't trying to form the Justice Leage with Vegeta and the others and not everything he said sounded like it was taken from a clip of "Sonic Says". I feel the same way for Sean Schemmel's earlier portrayal of Goku, it didn't sound like some superhero voice, it was just a happy go lucky nice guy voice.
TheMightyOzaru wrote: In fact I feel that Funimation is partly responsible for the fans that idolize Goku as the strongest in all of fiction.
I've always thought that came more from Goku being able to take out entire armies as a kid and being millions of times stronger then that as an adult to the point where he could beat the crap out of being that could wipe out civilisations and destroy planets.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 am

I don't think it makes you a terrible fan at all. You have a right to your own opinion. Although I think that his "original" personality is best. I like his lack of knowledge and his country accent. :lol:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 am

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:No English voice actor has ever captured Goku correctly. The problem with the search for an actor to voice the character is not only to find one who can give a believable voice to the character, but also do the character justice. Sean Schemmel in my opinion, does neither. That's why I'm dreading a FUNI dub of Battle of Gods.
What exactly are you looking for with Goku's voice?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.