Which version of Goku's appearance is your favorite?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Re: Which version of Goku's appearance is your favorite?

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 pm

I like good old fashioned orange gi Goku for when he's a kid and an adult. I've also always liked the shirtless SSJ look from the Freeza saga.

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Right when Goku is about to sock Vegeta!!!
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:23rd Tenkaichi Budokai/Saiyan arc Goku is my favorite. The art style was great at that point; it's the perfect balance between the roundness of early Dragon Ball and the angled style from the later parts of Dragon Ball Z. Also, he wasn't overly muscular at that point.
Same! It was a very realistic body type.

Linkthoy

Post by Linkthoy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

I've always been partial to this look :D :

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 pm

@seansmith9322

Huh, never thought anyone would love that shot of Gokuu. Whenever I see that frame, I normally cringe! Anyway, it's interesting that you picked that particular shot. :)

@Linkthoy

I completely forgot about that costume! Such a cool outfit! 8)
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:47 pm

The Yadrats surely have a fabulous sense of fashion!
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 am

Insertclevername wrote:@seansmith9322

Huh, never thought anyone would love that shot of Gokuu. Whenever I see that frame, I normally cringe! Anyway, it's interesting that you picked that particular shot. :)

@Linkthoy

I completely forgot about that costume! Such a cool outfit! 8)

I mean it's not my favorite because it looks cool. I just feel like that image sticks in my head most because it looks nothing like him lol.
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:50 am

I`m gonna go in a different direction and say Super Saiyajin 3 from GT!
One thing I love GT for was it`s designs.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 am

I love Gokus appearance in the newer stuff, like Kais opening, JSATS, BoG, etc. In the manga I like his Cell and Boo arc appearance, he's lean as hell!

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 am

I always love the version of Goku as a kid in Dragon Ball!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 am

Kid Goku

Cute Chubby, Simple, Charming!

and Goku in Freeza Arc looks amazing too, but i prefer Kid Goku thought.

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Have to agree with the majority and go with 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai Goku. Also a massive fan of that image of Goku described by VegettoEX, really stood out when I just re-read the Piccolo Daimao arc last week.
Metalwario64 wrote:In terms of battle damage, that's on of my favorite battle damaged looks Goku has had.

That's why I'm eagerly anticipating the Figuarts Zero Goku. 8)
WANT, WANT, WANT, WANT, WANT, WANT!!!!!!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:18 pm

WesMan23 wrote:First off, if this belongs in In-Universe, I apologize, and feel free to move the topic if necessary.

We know that Son Goku (in manga canon form) was born in Age 737, and we basically follow his story from Age 749 (age 12) until Age 784 (age 47). Obviously, he ages visibly throughout the series, even in the shorter timeskips in Z.

I'd have to say my favorite appearance for Goku is probably during the Namek arc. He just looks completely awesome, and that was my favorite look of the SSJ form. After the three-year timeskip following Trunks' arrival, his hair changed somewhat in base and SSJ forms, and it just didn't look as cool as it did on Namek. I figure it may be just to show either Toriyama's art style evolving, and by proxy, following through to the animation staff, or just to depict that some time has passed, Goku's hair changed a bit, not entirely sure.

Chi-Chi also definitely looked her best in the beginning of Z, in my opinion. Goku definitely had a catch with her, appearance wise at least.

Also, if you want to include another character's noticeable changes in appearance during the run, feel free.
I more or less agree with everything you said. :)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DonZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonZ » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I know it's impossible .. but i just wish Toriyama would find another way to stop the Ozaru transformation without cutting the tail. Kid Goku looks so good with his tail, Vegeta looks totally amazing with it (my favorite appearance)
but we never got a chance to see adult Goku with his tail on, unfortunately.

<3 <3

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Base form adult Goku has his tail in the teasing final image in GT's 4th ED. I remember it because of how much of a tease it was since that was never in an actual episode.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Chuquita wrote:Base form adult Goku has his tail in the teasing final image in GT's 4th ED. I remember it because of how much of a tease it was since that was never in an actual episode.
Yeah, and the thing that struck me more about it is that he is seen wearing his end of Z clothes (while everyone is wearing their GT's) despite they never appearing in GT (or in any other part of the opening itself) 8)
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Hahaha I love that scene of Goku vs King Piccolo too! It always gives me the chills. :mrgreen:

I don't know why but for me, Goku at the 23rd had my favorite look. He looked quite young but... his design is perfect in my eyes.

I also like a lot his apparance on the Saiyan and Frieza arc.

Least favorite.... well, not that I don't like it, but his looks from the Cell arc onward always felt to me like just "ok".

Vegeta, on the other hand... I loved his simple design on the Buu Arc. :lol:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

I love this version of him. Just has this "I'm my own master now" vibe.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I like Cell Games Saga/Boo Saga Goku the most.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Necrosaber wrote:I love this version of him. Just has this "I'm my own master now" vibe.

That reads more of "I'm sexy and I know it" to me.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.