Which version of Goku's appearance is your favorite?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Which version of Goku's appearance is your favorite?

Post by WesMan23 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

First off, if this belongs in In-Universe, I apologize, and feel free to move the topic if necessary.

We know that Son Goku (in manga canon form) was born in Age 737, and we basically follow his story from Age 749 (age 12) until Age 784 (age 47). Obviously, he ages visibly throughout the series, even in the shorter timeskips in Z.

I'd have to say my favorite appearance for Goku is probably during the Namek arc. He just looks completely awesome, and that was my favorite look of the SSJ form. After the three-year timeskip following Trunks' arrival, his hair changed somewhat in base and SSJ forms, and it just didn't look as cool as it did on Namek. I figure it may be just to show either Toriyama's art style evolving, and by proxy, following through to the animation staff, or just to depict that some time has passed, Goku's hair changed a bit, not entirely sure.

Chi-Chi also definitely looked her best in the beginning of Z, in my opinion. Goku definitely had a catch with her, appearance wise at least.

Also, if you want to include another character's noticeable changes in appearance during the run, feel free.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Which version of Goku's appearance is your favorite?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I like anime Goku from Vegeta-Freeza saga. I also like the Battle of Gods design which is kind of an update of the old (one/design/version).

I also like Goku's blue Dragonball outfit and Piccolo Jr. fight appearance.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Love, love, love Goku during the Piccolo-Daimao arc. The one scene that immediately comes to mind is the "It. Is. On. Right. Now." stare-down when he arrives when Tenshinhan is about to be completely decimated.

It defines "Goku" in one panel so much. The determination, the selfish-righteousness, the friendship, the sense of accomplishment... it's Goku through and through, and he's still only just getting going in his overall life's adventures.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:11 pm

WesMan23 wrote:I'd have to say my favorite appearance for Goku is probably during the Namek arc.

Chi-Chi also definitely looked her best in the beginning of Z, in my opinion. Goku definitely had a catch with her, appearance wise at least.
I really liked Goku's appearance when his orange shirt was torn off, and he spent most of his fight against Freeza with his blue undershirt on:

But, I think Chi-Chi's best appearance was in the 23rd Tournament:
VegettoEX wrote:Love, love, love Goku during the Piccolo-Daimao arc. The one scene that immediately comes to mind is the "It. Is. On. Right. Now." stare-down when he arrives when Tenshinhan is about to be completely decimated.

It defines "Goku" in one panel so much. The determination, the selfish-righteousness, the friendship, the sense of accomplishment... it's Goku through and through, and he's still only just getting going in his overall life's adventures.
That's definitely the best young Goku has ever looked. :mrgreen:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I agree with that kid goku shot. 8)
best goku drawing, there.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Big Green

Post by Big Green » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Yesssss.
"Ah! It's Big Green!"

"Let that child alone."

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm

The Red Ribbon Army arc was great for Goku. His adventures with the main cast set him on the right path, but watching him interact with so many others, which never happens again unless you want count palling around with Yajirobe, and just exploring was enthralling. His stare-down and subsequent beatdown with Tao Paipai felt like I well-earned meal.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

I like kid Goku in GT. I always liked young Goku from DB better than adult from the 23rd tournament throughout the end of Z. Then when GT came, he came back as a kid. I like his outfit a lot too. He's stronger than ever. We can see him go SS1,2 and 3 when he really needs too, but he's so strong at base form. He's hungrier than ever too. He's just really cool and respected by everyone, except Pan at times. Even his enemies fear him and respect him, even though he is kid.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I think he looks best at his 23rd Budoukai era age. He's youthful but grown-up at the same time. He's athletic but not ridiculously beefy. And the art style is still that nice, rounded look before Toriyama went crazy with sharp angles.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:58 pm

23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai wins hands down. It's partly the art-style, partly how his fighting style is at that point.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Goku wearing anything with a kanji, an undershirt and a knotted belt (with two points). So anything from the 23rd Tenkaichi up to Namek :D
Last edited by omegalucas on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm

The version of him on Namek vs the Ginyū Force, but as shown in episode 280's flashback. The animation on that was gorgeous.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm

This has always been one of my favourite images of Goku:

Also agree on the previously mentioned 23rd Budokai Goku and the less stubby, slightly taller and lean 22nd Budokai/Piccolo Daimao version of Kid Goku.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 pm

For me, it's a tie between between his Piccolo Daimao arc appearance and his late-DB-to-early-DBZ appearance.
-Joey

IDreamtIWasABee
Beyond Newbie

Post by IDreamtIWasABee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 pm

You guys hit on most of them. Namek Goku (both as SSJ and regular old Goku) is his signature look for me. The story shouldn't have ended on Namek, but the evolution of Goku's look should have.

For whatever reason, I only like Goku's appearance as an adult and only like Gohan's appearance as a child.

Piccolo was perfect during the 23rd tournament. All the characters suffered from the bulked-up look as the series went on, but he suffered worst.

ETA: Okay, I'll give Goku's SSJG form a thumbs up for looking like a schoolgirl's doodle.
Last edited by IDreamtIWasABee on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Considering everyone took the choices I was going to pick (Piccolo Diamao & 23rd), I guess I"ll pick the runner up for me.

Cell Games Gokuu

Really confident. Really badass (partially due to him not being the focus).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Always really liked this, although in the anime the bad animation days kinda wrecked it. :problem:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm

In terms of battle damage, that's on of my favorite battle damaged looks Goku has had.

That's why I'm eagerly anticipating the Figuarts Zero Goku. 8)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

23rd Tenkaichi Budokai/Saiyan arc Goku is my favorite. The art style was great at that point; it's the perfect balance between the roundness of early Dragon Ball and the angled style from the later parts of Dragon Ball Z. Also, he wasn't overly muscular at that point.