Original Japanese Voice Characters vs Dub Voice Characters

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super 17
Regular

Original Japanese Voice Characters vs Dub Voice Characters

Post by Super 17 » Fri May 03, 2013 10:45 pm

I am not comparing the actors or actresses from all the world based on how they acted for the character, but I am comparing them based on consistency. What I mean by that is:

Did the Original Japanese version always have all the same actors from 1986-1997? Let's say for example. 5 random characters. Chichi, Oolong, Tienshinhan, Mr. Popo, and Yajirobe. Were they all voiced by the same one actor that started voicing them since the beginning? Obviously Goku's only voice is Masako. In everything. If all the character have been voiced by one actor for as long as the character is needed, then damn, that is fucking perfect based on voices.

Now, I don't know about Funimation's dub, but I heard they rarily changed voice actors. In the Mexican dub, Kuririn's voice was changed 3 times as the series went on. Yamcha's voice changed too, I think 2 or 3 times. Bulma's was changed 3 times. As well as Yajirobe, Emperor Pilaf, Tien at the Buu saga and etc etc. And then rarily Piccolo's voice would change and you would go "Oh god, awful voice", mainly because you are used to the voice. Mostly all the major characters kept the same voice. Goku and his sons and Vegeta and his son kept 100% the same voices.

So, is there a perfect consistent voices for the characters on the rest of the dubs? I guess this question is more towards the foreigners of their country. I would also love to know about Funimation's English and Ocean's Dub. And of course, I would like to know if the Original Japanese version is the 100% perfect for voice characters never changing, although I don't think it is. 11 years is a long time.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Original Japanese Voice Characters vs Dub Characters

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm

The animated series' do have re-casts. Plenty.

Shioya Kouzou voices Dock in one episode, but is replaced by Gouri Daisuke in the next.

Chichi is eventually re-cast from Shou Mayumi to Watanabe Naoko. Watanabe takes over beginning with Dragon Ball Z episode #66 and movie four. I think Shou went on maternity leave and simply never returned to the franchise. I do remember she voiced Satou Tatsuhiro's mother in NHK ni Youkoso, though.

All of Utsumi Kenji's roles are recast after the first one hundred or so episodes of Dragon Ball Z. This includes the Tenka'ichi Budoukai Announcer in the Majin Boo arc, which is taken over by Suzu'oki Hirotaka. Shen Long was given to Satou Masaharu for Dragon Ball Z #193. Utsumi has returned as Shen Long for most video games and Dragon Ball Kai, although his role of ReaCoom now lies with Sasaki Seiji as of Dragon Ball Kai. For the 2009 Wii game Utsumi did reprise all of his roles, if noticeably aged. For Toriko episode #99 and One Piece #590 the Tenka'ichi Budoukai Announcer was voiced by Nishiwaki Tamotsu, the voice of the Cell Games Announcer in Dragon Ball Kai.

Gouri Daisuke only voices Great King Enma in Dragon Ball Z episode #195, with Satou Masaharu voicing Great King Cold in his place.

Tenshinhan is voiced by Suzuoki Hirotaka in the first three cartoon series', except for Yamadera Kou'ichi voicing the character in Dragon Ball Z #82 and #84 (Suzuoki-san was ill at the time).

When Uranai Baba returns during the Majin Boo arc now voiced by Tanaka Mayumi, rather than Takiguchi Junpei (as well as for Dragon Ball Kai and most video games, barring the Wii game from 2009).

Muten Roushi is voiced by Miya'uchi Kouhei in Dragon Ball and most of Dragon Ball Z. For Dragon Ball #137 Muten Roushi is voiced by Yanami Jouji (the Narrator). Yanami would also voice Roushi in a One Piece crossover thingy some years later. After Miya'uchi passed away Masuoka Hiroshi voiced Muten Roushi from Dragon Ball Z episode #288 through the end of Dragon Ball GT, the 2008 JSAT special and video games up through 2009. For the thirteenth Dragon Ball Z movie Satou Masaharu voiced Muten Roushi. Aikawa Kinya voices Muten Roushi in the tenth anniversary movie. In 2009 (and beginning with the 2010 games) Satou Masaharu began voicing Muten Roushi thanks to being cast in Dragon Ball Kai.

Gouri Daisuke lost his role of Umigame in Dragon Ball Kai to Fujimoto Takahiro, despite returning as the Gyuumaou. Gouri also took the role of Polunga from Takiguchi Junpei, who returned as the voice of the Grand Elder. When Gouri passed Ootomo Ryuuzaburou took over Polunga and Cold. Ishizuka Unshou voiced Mister Satan.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super 17
Regular

Re: Original Japanese Voice Characters vs Dub Voice Characte

Post by Super 17 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 am

Holy fuck JulieYBM. You definitely know your shit for the original Japanese version very damn well. I was shocked at how much you knew and who replaced who and whatnot. So indeed even in the Original Japanese, some characters voices changes. Masako Nozowa is definitely a legend in the world of Dragon Ball. 11 years of Goku's voice in it's initial run. All the movies. The 2008 special with Tarble. Dragon Ball Kai. Battle of Gods. Who else has been pretty long? I think Kuririn comes second longest. With Piccolo in third, and Vegeta in fourth and I guess you can count Kid Gohan/Adult Gohan for the 5th spot of the longest, even though it's voiced by none other than the legend Masako Nozowa :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 04, 2013 12:19 am

Yanami Jouji is the only other actor to match Nozawa's record. As the Narrator (and Kaiou of the North Galaxy, Dr. Brief, and the World King) he pretty much appears in all 606 television episodes, eighteen films, and multiple specials released so far.

There's probably some other re-casts I'm missing, especially in regards to Dragon Ball Kai.

Nappa is voiced by Iizuka Shouzou in Dragon Ball Z, Yanada Kiyoyuki in Dragon Ball GT, and Inada Tetsu in Dragon Ball Kai and all video games since 2009.

All of Freeza's named henchmen were also recast, but I'm too lazy to type out all of the recasts. I will say the loss of Hayami Shou was dear, though. Also Hayami no long voices Zarbon in the games he did return to voice Thouser in Raging Blast 2, which must have been weird for him. "I'm not voicing Zarbon anymore, but I'm voicing his clone still!" Ah well, not like Zarbon was as meaty as Aizen Sousuke from Bleach is for him.

Oh yeah, I forgot. For Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit and Dragon Ball: Tenka'ichi Dai-Bouken Tenshinhan was voiced by Madono Mitsu'aki. When Dragon Ball Kai came around Midorikawa Hikaru (Paikuuhan, No. 16, Gasu) took over. Madono is a genius for comedy and emotional roles, but Tenshinhan was too much for him.

Kamiya Akira (Kenshirou from the first two Hokuto no Ken cartoons) voiced Garlic Junior in the first Dragon Ball Z film. For the TV series and all subsequent video games Garlic Junior was voiced by Chiba Shigeru (Pilaf, Raditz, and Nikki).

Speaking of Chiba, Chiba is the current voice of Grandpa Gohan as of Dragon Ball Kai. Saka Osamu voices the character in Dragon Ball #73 through Dragon Ball Z #32. Azusa Kinpei voiced Grandpa Gohan for Dragon Ball Z TVSP #1.

For the Majin Boo arc of Dragon Ball Z Tatsuta Naoki took over for Karin. I guess Nagai Ichirou was not available at the time?
She/Her
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat May 04, 2013 5:50 am

FUNimation's version of the show has gone through a small overhaul(underhaul?) throughout the games and Kai. Big ones would be Bulma (Tiffany Vollmer -> Monica Rial), Gohan (Stephanie Nadolny -> Colleen Clinkenbeard), No. 18 (Meredith McCoy -> Colleen Clinkenbeard), and Freeza (Linda Young -> Chris Ayres). Smaller parts from actors who aren't working with the company anymore or were amateurishly voiced by Christopher Sabat were also recast. Chaozu, Puer, Oolong, The Ginyu force minus Reacoom, Dende, Zarbon, No. 19, Babidi...

I've heard Travis Willingham provided the voice of Cell in something, but I don't remember what.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am

B wrote:I've heard Travis Willingham provided the voice of Cell in something, but I don't remember what.
The video games starting after Burst Limit.

Everything else is Dameon Clarke, though Dartanian Nickelback voiced Cell in Kai (lololol).
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat May 04, 2013 8:05 am

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sat May 04, 2013 8:23 am

In Portugal we got some recasts too (a lot!).
I think the only MAJOR character to be voiced by one person only in EVERY EPISODE AND MOVIE SHE APPEARS IN is Bulma, by Cristina Cavalinhos (her other characters, #18, Gregory, Pan, Bra, Maron, Chaozu, Baba, Erasa and Lunch are always voiced by her, with the only exceptions being Dende and Marron), as well as several "smaller" characters .
Goku and Gohan were always voiced by Henrique Feist (who also voiced Trunks, General Blue and Ginyu) for the series and movies that were dubbed, except for the 10th Anniversary (and maybe in the GT special as well) in which Goku was replaced by Nuno Pardal, with Gohan, Trunks and Goku being replaced by various actors in Movies 10 and 11.
Both Kuririn, Chichi, Mai and Videl were voiced by Fernanda Figueiredo throughout Dragon Ball/Z, being replaced by João Loy and Dora Cruz respectively in GT and Movies 10/11.
Piccolo was voiced by either Ricardo Spínola or Feist in Dragon Ball, being replaced by João Loy (with varying voice effects) in Z up until episode 134, with Vítor Rocha dubbing him for the rest of the series and most of the movies. Loy returned to voice him in Z Movie 9 and GT.
Vegeta was voiced by Loy until the moment he left the series during Z's 134, with Vegeta being voiced by Vítor Rocha from that episode until 172, with Spínola taking the role (with a brilliant lampshading, "Why is [Piccolo] taking so long to get out?! I'm so anxious I'm changing my voice again!" :lol: ). Loy returned to voice him in Z Movie 9 and GT as well. Recoome went from Loy to either Vítor Rocha, António Semedo or Ricardo Spínola in the Anoyoichi Budokai and Boo arcs.
Good old Narrator is voiced by the late António Semedo in everything except the 10th Anniversary and the GT Special, with Paulo Espírito Santo taking the role (with two completely different tones - Ii Shenron's voice in the former, Don Kya's voice in the latter :lol: ) because Semedo probably had already passed away by then. The same happened with Semedo's Yamcha and Umigame, who were dubbed by another person in the 10th Anniversary movie (a voice actor who also worked in the Woody Woodpecker Show). Gyumao, #8, Bora, Kaio, Yajirobe, Popo, Fat Boo, Dai Kaioshin (the one absorbed by Boo), Karin, Sharpner, Saichoro, Dodoria, Burter, Babidi, Bibidi, Bubbles, Jeice, Tao Pai Pai, Tsuru Sen'nin, Commander Red, Raditz, Kami, Budokai AND Cell Games announcers, Dr. Myuu, Dr. Gero and Cell are voiced only by Semedo.
Enma Daioh was voiced by João Loy, with Semedo taking the role after the former's departure (and voicing him EXACTLY like he voices Gyumao).
Dende was voiced by Cristina Cavalinhos until the Boo arc, with Joaquim Monchique taking the role by then. In GT he was voiced by Paulo Espírito Santo. Monchique gave voice to every form of Boo except for the Fat one, and voiced Kaioshin in Z (and Kibitoshin as well, sharing his voice with Spínola's Kibito; Semedo took Kibitoshin's role in GT from them after Monchique's departure after the end of Z).
Marron went from Cristina Cavalinhos in Z to Dora Cruz in GT.
Soba/Shuu was voiced by Semedo in DB/Z and by João Loy in GT.
Old Kaioshin was voiced by either Joaquim Monchique or Vítor Rocha in Z, and Paulo Espírito Santo in GT. The same happened to Rocha's Mr. Satan on GT and Movie 11, voiced by Espírito Santo (in Movie 9 Satan was voiced by Ricardo Spínola).
Ricardo Spínola voiced Kame Sen'nin, Goten, Shenlong, Pilaf, Oolong, Tenshinhan, Assistant Black, Dr. Brief, Freeza, Nappa, Zarbon, Gurd, Kibito, (Super) #17, Ledgic, Son Para, Ryan Shenron, San Shenron, Pilaf and Ryuu Shenron's dragon form. Goten, Kame Sen'nin, Umigame, Assistant Black and Oolong were voiced by different voice actors in Movies 10 and 11 (Goten) and the 10th Anniversary (the rest).
Dora Cruz also voiced Goten's girlfriend Valese and Ryuu Shenron's female form.
Paulo Espírito Santo also voiced Bon Para, General Rildo, Don Kya, Ii Shenron and Chii Shenron and some characters in the GT special and nearly every movie villain in Z (most with his Ii Shenron voice tone; except for Garlic Jr, voiced by Spínola in the Movie and Loy in the series, Wheelo, voiced by Semedo and Janemba's fat form, voiced by Spínola).

And it seems I ended up talking about all the characters' voice actors instead of the replacements only :lol:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 04, 2013 11:52 am

B wrote:FUNimation's version of the show has gone through a small overhaul(underhaul?) throughout the games and Kai. Big ones would be Bulma (Tiffany Vollmer -> Monica Rial), Gohan (Stephanie Nadolny -> Colleen Clinkenbeard), No. 18 (Meredith McCoy -> Colleen Clinkenbeard), and Freeza (Linda Young -> Chris Ayres). Smaller parts from actors who aren't working with the company anymore or were amateurishly voiced by Christopher Sabat were also recast. Chaozu, Puer, Oolong, The Ginyu force minus Reacoom, Dende, Zarbon, No. 19, Babidi...
When was he recast?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat May 04, 2013 2:18 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a fan-fuss that he wasn't played by Duncan Brennan in a certain game. I could completely be wrong, though!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Super 17 wrote:Holy fuck JulieYBM. You definitely know your shit for the original Japanese version very damn well. I was shocked at how much you knew and who replaced who and whatnot. So indeed even in the Original Japanese, some characters voices changes. Masako Nozowa is definitely a legend in the world of Dragon Ball. 11 years of Goku's voice in it's initial run. All the movies. The 2008 special with Tarble. Dragon Ball Kai. Battle of Gods. Who else has been pretty long? I think Kuririn comes second longest. With Piccolo in third, and Vegeta in fourth and I guess you can count Kid Gohan/Adult Gohan for the 5th spot of the longest, even though it's voiced by none other than the legend Masako Nozowa :D
Well, I don't think Bulma's voice actress ever changed, so she and Goku have had the same voice throughout all these years, ever since the very first episode of the series.
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 04, 2013 8:37 pm

fogdark wrote:
Super 17 wrote:Holy fuck JulieYBM. You definitely know your shit for the original Japanese version very damn well. I was shocked at how much you knew and who replaced who and whatnot. So indeed even in the Original Japanese, some characters voices changes. Masako Nozowa is definitely a legend in the world of Dragon Ball. 11 years of Goku's voice in it's initial run. All the movies. The 2008 special with Tarble. Dragon Ball Kai. Battle of Gods. Who else has been pretty long? I think Kuririn comes second longest. With Piccolo in third, and Vegeta in fourth and I guess you can count Kid Gohan/Adult Gohan for the 5th spot of the longest, even though it's voiced by none other than the legend Masako Nozowa :D
Well, I don't think Bulma's voice actress ever changed, so she and Goku have had the same voice throughout all these years, ever since the very first episode of the series.
Tsuru Hiromi has yet to miss a chance to play Blooma, Bra, or baby Trunks. Of course, that may very well change in a few years when we hit a big anniversary and Toei decides to recast.
She/Her
bisexual milf