Why do you dislike BoG?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Why do you dislike BoG?

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

I honestly fail to see why people dislike this movie. People jump on the contradictions or plot holes this movie conjures yet completely ignore other plot holes or contradictions such as Cell's self destruction. Seriously apart from some minor plot holes or inconsistencies that can be covered by fan opinions, like always, what is there to dislike? It has the Toriyama flavor and there was plenty of fanservice.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Why do you dislike BoG?

Post by Blade » Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Have you actually seen the film?

More to the point, apart from the members stationed in Japan, has anyone on here seen the film?

This discussion seems a little bizarre given that most people who are going to contribute to it haven't actually watched it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Godku.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:Godku.
Aside from Godku?
Blade wrote:Have you actually seen the film?

More to the point, apart from the members stationed in Japan, has anyone on here seen the film?

This discussion seems a little bizarre given that most people who are going to contribute to it haven't actually watched it.
I've read the synopsis and seen snipits. I know plenty about it have opinions about it.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 pm

This. Protagonists doing things protagonists do is pretty lame storytelling, Toriyama. Why can't Chaozu do anything?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:28 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
Blade wrote:Have you actually seen the film?

I've read the synopsis and seen snipits. I know plenty about it have opinions about it.
You can get the plot from the synopsis, but you can't really get the presentation (if you get what I'm saying.) Methinks this thread may be a bit premature?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Plot, fighting, power scaling, and character interaction is all I need. I also feel I've gotten the presentation from the many snipits I've seen.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Plot, fighting, power scaling, and character interaction is all I need. I also feel I've gotten the presentation from the many snipits I've seen.
I would have to disagree. You can't really get the the feel of a movie by watching a few clips. You have to see the whole thing, or at least most of it, in order to judge a movie's performance.
Last edited by Kamiccolo9 on Fri May 31, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri May 31, 2013 2:05 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Plot, fighting, power scaling, and character interaction is all I need. I also feel I've gotten the presentation from the many snipits I've seen.
I also disagree. You can't judge a movie, something that entails a lot of diff elements.... visuals, acting, sound, humour, fighting which you really have to see all of... you can't judge it fully without experiencing it the way it was meant to be seen. A paragraph or two or three won't suffice.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm

It didn't agree with my own interpretations of powers that I have been using on the Internet for years. Complete rubbish. But yeah, I haven't seen it yet.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 pm

bleed0range wrote:
I also disagree. You can't judge a movie, something that entails a lot of diff elements.... visuals, acting, sound, humour, fighting which you really have to see all of... you can't judge it fully without experiencing it the way it was meant to be seen. A paragraph or two or three won't suffice.
I've got the humor, fighting, sound and visuals down though =/. However, Plot and character interactions are all I really need to judge the movie. I don't care about the animation, DBZ hasn't been very well animated since day 1 so it doesn't bother me. I can almost assure you that my opinions won't change upon viewing this film in it's entirety. The synopsis also did more than cover the plot and it was much much longer than 3 measly paragraphs:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/battle- ... /synopsis/
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:32 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
I've got the humor, fighting, sound and visuals down though =/. However, Plot and character interactions are all I really need to judge the movie. I don't care about the animation, DBZ hasn't been very well animated since day 1 so it doesn't bother me. I can almost assure you that my opinions won't change upon viewing this film in it's entirety. The synopsis also did more than cover the plot and it was much much longer than 3 measly paragraphs:
IDK man, seeing movies can really change your views. All you have is a first impression.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 2:47 pm

I know quite a bit about it so I don't see my opinions changing that much if it at all.
B wrote:
This. Protagonists doing things protagonists do is pretty lame storytelling, Toriyama. Why can't Chaozu do anything?
Maybe because Chaozu is Chaozu =/. Who likes Chaozu anyway?
Last edited by TheMightyOzaru on Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
I can give you a detailed description of what chocolate tastes like in strict, objective and quantifiable terms - but you'll never truly be able to understand the experience until you try it yourself. I could recount to you in the most descriptive terms every single play in a Football game, but your preconceptions of how the events unfolded will never be exactly as they would be if you had watched the game with your own eyes.

Your grasp of the film comes almost entirely from third party sources and lacks information from that the real, elicit sensations that would be evoked by experiencing it first hand.

I stand by what I said - for anyone to say that they dislike it without having actually watched it is absurd.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 pm

BoG seems totally awesome in my opinion.

The only thing i dislike? People comparing BoG Power Levels to GT. That's a true absurd.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 31, 2013 5:02 pm

From what I've of the synopsis, and the clips I've seen, I have a generally positive sentiment towards the film. But I can easily see why some may not like the movie:

- Goku getting the spotlight for the sake of Goku getting the spotlight
- Vegeta gets a rage boost that spits in the face of the official SSj multipliers, despite having no history of rage boosts
- Everyone being thrown to the side with no real chance to shine
- Lazily designed SSj form
- Nigh-impossible-to-rationalize placement in the timeline
- Inconsistent size of Gyumao, confusing size of Maron
- Confusion regarding SSj, Gohan, and Pan the Fetus
- Shares continuity with the 2008 special, which for some causes irreconcilable headaches

Granted, I'm able to get over those things. I've been able to rationalize pretty much all of the headaches caused by the movie, so as to not hinder my personal enjoyment of it. Still haven't actually seen the thing though, so all of this can change.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Hmmm, well I haven't actually seen the movie yet but from the sound of things I get the impression that a few of the gags may be forced in a little too much. I mean, I know they wanted to make a light-hearted, fun movie but it sounds like they're cramming as many jokes in at every opportunity possible. Other than that, I've made a short list of other very minor nitpicks.

- I think they may have overdone the CG a tad. From what I've seen it does look a little cheap and it sticks out like a sore-thumb.

- The random tie-ins with the Saiyan race. This isn't really a fault of the film, since they're presumably left over from the original script and as much as I enjoyed hearing that Freeza and King Vegeta are in the film, they do seem a little out of place in the film (King Vegeta, especially). And the fact that the movie's more focused on the Saiyans, rather than the actual gods we have in the series is a little irritating.

- Lack of interesting settings. I think Chuquita mentioned this in another thread, but we spend a decent amount of time at Capsule Corp and hardly anywhere else, the exception of course, being the final fight and the start of the film. What about a couple of scenes at some other familiar locations on Earth? It'd be another great nod to the series? And Beerus's castle. I was so expecting them to actually fight there.

- Whis. People probably already know about this one, since I've been bitching about this for about half-a-year now. But COME ON, have a look at the poster! He's descending from the heavens over some tree-looking thing! What do you mean he's not a Makaioshin? What? He's only Beerus's martial arts master? OK, sure, he knocks him out at the end and he's the strongest in the universe....whatever....But come on have a look for yourself:
Alright, maybe in a sequel then... :think:

- It's been out in theatres, millions of people have already seen it- I'm not one of them. :thumbdown:

- I have to wait until September, and I will have to drop $100 on it. :thumbup:

Wow, this makes it seem like I hate the film. I don't, I love it! Although, I haven't seen it yet. :cry:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri May 31, 2013 7:46 pm

The waiting.. It'll takes years for this to be in english right? Ah.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Makaioshins are bad guys, you know that right? Dabura is likely a Makaioshin.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Makaioshins are bad guys, you know that right? Dabura is likely a Makaioshin.
Um yeah, but what does that have to do Whis potentially being one? During pre-movie speculation, we had no idea that Whis would turn out the way he did in terms of personality.

Oh, and I'm sure Toriyama hadn't even thought of Makaioshin at the time of making Dabura, but then again he hadn't thought of the Saiyans when he made Goku either. :lol: