Dragon Ball Production Cels

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Production Cels

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:14 pm

I need to start cel shopping again :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:35 pm

That cel of Super Saiyan 3 Gokuu versus Pure Buu is from Dragon Ball Z Episode #280. The only key animators to work on that episode are Shida Naotoshi, Saeki Tetsuya, Ide Takeo, Miyahara Naoki, Kan'no Toshiyuki, and Inagami Akira. I think that cel might be Shida's work but I'm only saying that due to how similar the hair looks to what he did in One Piece Episode #590.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Ah, thanks! Wow. That's exciting to know I might possibly own something of Shida's.

Could you tell me anything about this Vegeta cel I also own? It took me long enough just to find which episode it was from!
Episode #284:

I'm fairy sure it's Shingo Ishikawa but I have no idea what his work really looks like.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:03 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Bumping my own thread in hopes of others with cels showing them off too :thumbup:

Just picked this up as a late Christmas present to myself:
It's from the scene where Goku is powering up his 3 x Kaioken against Vegeta.

Thanks to JulieYBM (& the Kanzenshuu animation guide) for help with identifying the animator.

I'm in a terrible mood though. I almost owned this - http://i.imgur.com/jDwxk4y.png - but Paypal fucking FROZE on login and I missed my bid opportunity. Extremely angry. That's a Yamamuro piece from Movie 8.

Oh well, I guess the scene I did end up with is more iconic that a random shot of Vegeta getting thrashed (as nice looking as it is).
Do you get your stuff off Ebay, RubberSlug, or anywhere else? I've never bought a cel and highly considering getting one. Just want to browse all my options. Want a really good SS Goku or Mystic Gohan to frame, without spending over 200...haha max maybe 250. You all have some impressive collections!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Mine have been a mix of Yahoo Auctions, eBay and Rubberslug. There's also Mandarake and various art galleries that have collected them and have them for sale.

Deadtuber.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm

This is from Dragon Ball Z Episode #268. This literally just went up and I managed to snatch it before anyone else did. Surprising given how iconic the episode is and how recognisable this scene is.

Going by the Kanzenshuu animation and episode guide,it's supposedly by Kazuya Hisada but I'm sure JulieYBM will correct me if I'm wrong. It was actually Masahiro Shimanuki. Thanks to Kei17 for the info.
I think this is officially my favourite cel that I own.
Last edited by Ajay on Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadtuber.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:23 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:This is from Dragon Ball Z Episode #268. This literally just went up and I managed to snatch it before anyone else did. Surprising given how iconic the episode is and how recognisable this scene is.

Going by the Kanzenshuu animation and episode guide, it's supposedly by Kazuya Hisada but I'm sure JulieYBM will correct me if I'm wrong.
I think this is officially my favourite cel that I own.
Thats awesome, Great find!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:11 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Just a follow up as mine has actually arrived now. Took a quick snap on my phone so sorry about the quality.
Looks really fantastic. I want to get it framed but I'm not sure what's the best way to present it. I was initially thinking about having the drawing on the left and the cel on the right and, after having worked out which episode it's from, get an engraved part underneath saying something like 'Original Cel from Dragon Ball GT #<?>'.
Any other ideas?

If you frame it you have to frame it with UV PROTECTED glass or the light will cause further fading of the black Xerox lines. It's very important. If you don't they could fade until there's no lines left and just the paint.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:23 pm

bleed0range wrote:If you frame it you have to frame it with UV PROTECTED glass or the light will cause further fading of the black Xerox lines. It's very important. If you don't they could fade until there's no lines left and just the paint.
Yup, don't worry, they've all been framed with the appropriate protection. :thumbup:

Deadtuber.

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:07 am

Are cels one of a kind? As in theres only one of each

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:27 am

jollyr wrote:Are cels one of a kind? As in theres only one of each
Correct, copies of cels are lithographs and can be more budget friendly (though depending on the print count they can be just as if not more expensive)

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:04 am

Just purchased my first cel about a month ago and want to frame it. What should I look for? I want to display the cel and the sketch that came with it (drawing a blank on the name of that artwork.) Any stores/places you all trust?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:25 am

AC More isnt bad and they often have great cupons (if they're in your area)

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:34 am

I know the person who owns this cel and I tried so hard to get him to sell it. lol. This for me would be the only cel I would need.

For anyone who would like to browse the gallery he took down... there's still some working links of some of his amazing collection.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030406033 ... eek.co.jp/

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Reminds me of back in the day when I used to collect cels or sell them for others. Had some really nice ones that I kept such as a Superman in flight one from the director of animation at Toei studios back in 1980 or so and a nice close up of Cell's face that I must frame some day. But most other nice ones are long gone. Sold some really nice Sailor Moon cels back when. I actually regret doing that but they weren't mine and I could never have afforded them anyway.

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Any idea if they still make cel drawing and painting kits in Japan? With the demise of hand drawn over computer drawn is that all that's left to us? Used to be a lot of my friends had these back in the day...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:38 pm

I assume specialty retailers still sell cels, but otherwise all of the TV series have transitioned to having finished key animation and in-between drawings scanned into the computer for coloring.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuicidalZerg
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuicidalZerg » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:01 am

Here's a scan of a cel I recently obtained...
Background is non-matching, but it's close enough for me :)

Nozawaberries commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqta3iB6ZM

Twitch stream: http://www.twitch.tv/suicidalzerg
Planet Minecraft skins: http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/son_gohan/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SC2SuicidalZerg
NA Battle tag: SuicidalZerg.158
MC username: SuicidalZerg

jumpshot22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jumpshot22 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:16 pm

Here is my full cel collection. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at home so I just have pictures from my phone for now. I really need to get these framed.

Goku
Piccolo
Super Buu
Kid Trunks
SSJ3 Gotenks
Butta
SSJ Goku vs. Freeza
Perfect Cell
Super Buu (w/ Gohan absorbed)
Freeza Final Form 100% Power
Another Super Buu
Another Goku
Vegeta

Joppuman

Post by Joppuman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:07 am

man you've got some cool cells, its makin me jealous. I might end up buying on at some point, if i can find one on the cheap, or if i decide i hate money.