"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MLapan

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minu

Post by MLapan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:19 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Taking place 10 years before the start of Dragon Ball places Jaco in AGE 739. Bluma was born in AGE 733, which would make her 5 going on 6.

Gine says its been three years since Goku was put in the incubator. If taken literally, that means Goku was born in AGE 736, which would make him one year older than we thought, but she could also be rounding for the sake of convenience (it does happen in the series). If Goku were born in January of AGE 737, he could still retain his original birth year and age by being in the incubator for roughly 3 years (737, 738 and up till August of 739). It would be a bit of a tight squeeze, but it can work.

I'm not sure we'll get anything on the matter though unless we get another set of manga exclusive guidebooks. They don't really seem to want to touch on the huge inconsistency that is the anime and manga's origins for Goku/Bardock's story.
You are overthinking it. Akira Toriyama doesn't care about 3rd party guidebooks, or anime filler scenes, or videogames. Goku's age in DBMinus/Jaco doesn't contradict anything that Goku said in the original manga in the very beginning of DB. If Goku was a 3 y/o when Bulma was a 5 y/o it only confirms that Goku really was 14 y/o when he met 16 y/o Bulma in the beginning of DB. It's also perfectly consistent with what Raditz said in the beginning of DBZ. A 3 y/o kid might be able to remember his big brother and their mission but a newborn baby definitely wouldn't.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:45 am

Hello!

This thread hadn't been touched in eight months. While your thoughts are always welcome, do make sure they're still relevant to a discussion that might actually still be happening.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:19 pm

MLapan wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Taking place 10 years before the start of Dragon Ball places Jaco in AGE 739. Bluma was born in AGE 733, which would make her 5 going on 6.

Gine says its been three years since Goku was put in the incubator. If taken literally, that means Goku was born in AGE 736, which would make him one year older than we thought, but she could also be rounding for the sake of convenience (it does happen in the series). If Goku were born in January of AGE 737, he could still retain his original birth year and age by being in the incubator for roughly 3 years (737, 738 and up till August of 739). It would be a bit of a tight squeeze, but it can work.

I'm not sure we'll get anything on the matter though unless we get another set of manga exclusive guidebooks. They don't really seem to want to touch on the huge inconsistency that is the anime and manga's origins for Goku/Bardock's story.
You are overthinking it. Akira Toriyama doesn't care about 3rd party guidebooks, or anime filler scenes, or videogames. Goku's age in DBMinus/Jaco doesn't contradict anything that Goku said in the original manga in the very beginning of DB. If Goku was a 3 y/o when Bulma was a 5 y/o it only confirms that Goku really was 14 y/o when he met 16 y/o Bulma in the beginning of DB. It's also perfectly consistent with what Raditz said in the beginning of DBZ. A 3 y/o kid might be able to remember his big brother and their mission but a newborn baby definitely wouldn't.
You are forgetting that he was stated to be 12 after training with Muten Roshi, and his 14 years old thing was before he knew how to count.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MLapan

Post by MLapan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
MLapan wrote:

You are forgetting that he was stated to be 12 after training with Muten Roshi, and his 14 years old thing was before he knew how to count.
So Goku's age in the new manga is a retcon of a retcon. That's not a big deal. It's not like Goku is suddenly older than Bulma in DBMinus/Jaco.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 pm

I finally read it. The storytelling was really weak and lack excitement. I could see this working better as a movie with some changes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:01 am

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Dragon Ball Minus has actually lowered my regard for Trunks the Story. Up until two years ago, I let myself be influenced by the idea that Trunks the Story was buoyed up by its vastly superior anime adaptation that actually fleshed out the events into a real narrative that carried weight. But when Dragon Ball Minus came out, I realized that this is just how Toriyama tells backstory: he leaves out the story part and just presents a collection of events. Dragon Ball Minus is like that, and Trunks the Story is the same way. They're not stories, despite the word "Story" being in the title of the latter! They're just things that happen.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2