"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 pm

I dunno if I'll like this. Ofa Toriyama's latest work, I've only really like Neko Majin.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Jaco the Galactic Patrolman to premiere in English in July 15 issue (Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump)
Hmm, I guess I'll be buying Jump for the foreseeable future. Wonder how long it will be since it is cheaper to buy a subscription than individual issues...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Double post bump, but ANN revealed the series' length: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... gsta-manga
Viz Media additionally revealed that Toriyama's new Jaco the Galactic Patrolman manga, which will premiere in the digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine on July 15, will run for 10 chapters.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Not surprised it's going to just be short again, but I'll still happily snatch this up when it gets a physical release.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm

That's longer than I thought it'd be. I expected a oneshot.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:11 am

Like everyone else, I figured it would already be mapped out to be a short series, and i'm beyond happy it's going to be longer than a one-shot. But god help me if there wasn't that small, non-rationally thinking, and inherently cruel side of me that was mind-shouting: Just do it Toriyama. Go against type. One more long series for the insatiable masses. Live for us. Be us! One! Of! Us! One! Of! Us!
I love you love Mashirito.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 am

10 chapters is perfect to me! Can't wait to read this in Weekly Jump, buy the Japanese volume, and then HOPEFULLY the English volume! :D

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Maybe it's just a common futuristic J-RPG aesthetic or something, but Toriyama's artwork really grows closer to Ken Sugimori's with each project.

If you told me those designs were for Pokemon Black and White 3, I'd be like, "Yeah, okay. I can see that."

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm

This comes at no surprise. Though there was a small part of me that thought he might make semi-long series. So, a small disappointment. :(
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 am

Weekly Shonen Jump #33/2013 cover.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:53 am

(Daizenshuu 4, Page 72) : [Par.] A "Cosmic Police Organization" exists in the universe. However, they lack the fighting ability to oppose Freeza and the Saiyans.

Anybody else hoping that "Jaco the Galactic Policeman" is somehow going to tie into that statement?!
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:(Daizenshuu 4, Page 72) : [Par.] A "Cosmic Police Organization" exists in the universe. However, they lack the fighting ability to oppose Freeza and the Saiyans.

Anybody else hoping that "Jaco the Galactic Policeman" is somehow going to tie into that statement?!
That would be hilariously great. :lol: My girlfriend was already wondering if it might tie in with the space cops from 'Sachie-chan!' and 'Jiya', but I have my doubts on that one, since this is just solo Toriyama rather than Toriyama and Katsura.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:20 pm

On the Shonen Jump podcast a couple weeks ago they said that they had only seen the first chapter and didn't know for sure, but had been told that there might be a connection between this series and Dragon Ball. I think you found it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote:(Daizenshuu 4, Page 72) : [Par.] A "Cosmic Police Organization" exists in the universe. However, they lack the fighting ability to oppose Freeza and the Saiyans.

That would be hilariously great. :lol: My girlfriend was already wondering if it might tie in with the space cops from 'Sachie-chan!' and 'Jiya', but I have my doubts on that one, since this is just solo Toriyama rather than Toriyama and Katsura.
I was already using the Galactic/Galaxy Patrol from Sachie-chan and Jiya to fill that role. It'd be kinda cool if they were related, but I won't mind switching it just to Jaco's organization though, especially if the mini-series has a proper Dragon Ball cameo/reference or something at some point.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:02 pm

I was reading reviews from another site, and they seemed mixed. Overall, they agree that there wasn't much to the first chapter...and it lacked a sort of "kick". There's a divide of people saying that "He's already earned his right into manga history, he can take it easy on this" and people who are saying "Don't let fanboyism get in the way, this was still pretty bland." I'm paraphrasing, of course.

I do agree that not much really happened the first chapter, in terms of action, but I didn't get a few chuckles here and there. Although the dialogue was heavy, it was a relaxing read. Just an old man chatting it up with this alien on his tropical island. There's definitely hints towards some big happenings in the future, though. And I can't wait for them!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:56 am

From what I've seen, it's got a slow pace--it's a nice kind of slow pace though that makes me think of the speed a regular book-novel would move at. There were a few laughs here and there, but also some tragedy with the old guy revealing his back-story regarding how he came to be on that island. If this was One Piece, that old guy would totally get a flashback.

This honestly feels more like a manga I'd see in a monthly anthology than a weekly one. I also think this is one of those series that the more you're familiar with knowledge about the author himself, the more you may get out of it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:57 am

I haven't read this yet, but the premise of an alien policeman being trapped on Earth seems awfully similar to Toriyama's previous work 'Cashman'.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:29 am

It seems like this story is going to ultimately be an Aesop about humanity, which has me interested.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 pm

I think it's pretty nice actually. It kinda feels like Dragon Ball in the 80's.