"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
El Diabeetus
I Live Here
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:07 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Cipher wrote:Maybe it's just a common futuristic J-RPG aesthetic or something, but Toriyama's artwork really grows closer to Ken Sugimori's with each project.

If you told me those designs were for Pokemon Black and White 3, I'd be like, "Yeah, okay. I can see that."
It's kind of ironic that you mentioned it turning to a Sugimori-esque style. Sugimori's early Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal artwork looked very much like Toriyama's work pre-digital. Hell, the Charizard on the Red box looks like Toriyama could've drawn it.

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:44 am

Weekly Jump is out now in Japan, and I've read the first chapter.

As of now, it's hard to say exactly where this will go, but it's clearly overflowing with Toriyama's trademark humor, as well as a sense of... loss? Wistfulness? Maybe it's just me, but that's the vibe I got, in spite of the fish-out-of-water / odd-couple dynamic that's developing. Looking forward to the second chapter.

I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Akira Toriyama wrote:ちょっと古臭い感じの内容ですが最後まで読んでいただければなぜかわかりますよ
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.

Curious....
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5993
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby sangofe » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:41 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:Weekly Jump is out now in Japan, and I've read the first chapter.

As of now, it's hard to say exactly where this will go, but it's clearly overflowing with Toriyama's trademark humor, as well as a sense of... loss? Wistfulness? Maybe it's just me, but that's the vibe I got, in spite of the fish-out-of-water / odd-couple dynamic that's developing. Looking forward to the second chapter.

I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Akira Toriyama wrote:ちょっと古臭い感じの内容ですが最後まで読んでいただければなぜかわかりますよ
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.

Curious....


I found the first chapter to be really lazy when it came to the backgrounds. The story was "all right". Nothing amazing, nothing great. It just barely kept me wanting to read more.

User avatar
kei17
I Live Here
Posts: 3903
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:23 am
Location: DB's Birthplace
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby kei17 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:15 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Akira Toriyama wrote:ちょっと古臭い感じの内容ですが最後まで読んでいただければなぜかわかりますよ
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.

Curious....

Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.

Image
My Website: World DBZ
My blog: Red Ribbon Army Japan Base

penguintruth wrote:Gohan: "You differently skilled, but fully functional member of society whose IQ doesn't quite meet societal standards but is no less a beautiful creature for having lived in this universe... who happened to kill my mother and friends."

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby SaiyaJedi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

kei17 wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:I'm also intrigued by Toriyama's comments in the table of contents:
Akira Toriyama wrote:ちょっと古臭い感じの内容ですが最後まで読んでいただければなぜかわかりますよ
The content seems a bit old-fashioned, but if you read to the end, you'll understand why.

Curious....

Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.

http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/n/nuruta/20130713/20130713034926.jpg

I was scratching my head about that numbering, trying to figure out what it means. I suppose that, as Toriyama suggests, it will become clear as we read on….
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
Blade
I Live Here
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby Blade » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:48 am

Interesting! I guess that if what is being speculated is correct we could regard this an extended-Universe sort of prequel to Dragonball.

I think it's pretty cool way to add something new to the Dragon-world without overtly re-visiting elements that have already been covered in stories.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11371
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 pm

kei17 wrote:Did anyone else notice that the episode number in the cover was also somewhat suggestive? It says episode 1/10+1 and DB-11. My guess is that it means "Dragon Ball episode minus eleven," and at the end, the story connects to Dragon Ball. Maybe the alien that Jako mentions is baby Goku.

Me and my girlfriend were discussing it. There was the US Shonen Jump bit where they said it might have a relation to DB, but I didn't want to connect the dots unless there was a bit more evidence. I would absolutely love a connection like this though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby dodonpa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm

wow, it would be shocking to realize that Toriyama is drawing a Dragon Ball related manga all those years later. Anyway, I want to enjoy the manga for what it is, so i'm not going to think too much about this connection.

By the way, if Jaco i going to be 10 chapters long shouldn't it be DB-10? What is that +1 supposed to be, an extra chapter?

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:12 pm

I read it, and it was good. It would be awesome if it ties-in with Dragon Ball.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14833
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Akira Toriyama is going to write a new (non-DB) series

Postby Chuquita » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm

The only +1's I know of are from party invites when you get asked if you will be bringing a guest, and items that accidentally get through a store's receiving dept without being scanned in.

Interesting math mystery nonetheless. :3
My deviantart : Dragon Ball doodles and comics
My tumblr : Assorted goods and stuff
---
Piccolo: Listen...in the instant he moves to attack...he's open... We'll use that instant...
Vegeta: Good plan. I hope it works.
Piccolo: ...
Vegeta: Don't look at me. You'll miss your instant.
Piccolo: So confident...I hope to see your face when Son Gokû arrives...
Vegeta: Oh? And who's that? Your secret weapon?

User avatar
Raykugen
Regular
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby Raykugen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:32 am

Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana
Contact:

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby Big Momma » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 am

Raykugen wrote:http://ameblo.jp/yoyocom69/entry-11572185496.html?frm_src=thumb_module


Could you please give some kind of description when you post a link? People on this forum tend to do that a lot, and I'd like to know what I'm clicking into. Just a link isn't much help, especially if the site is in another language. :?

It looks like its pointing out hints that the series is connected to Dragon Ball, pretty sweet!
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote:I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.

Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby SaiyaJedi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

Big Momma wrote:
Raykugen wrote:http://ameblo.jp/yoyocom69/entry-11572185496.html?frm_src=thumb_module


Could you please give some kind of description when you post a link? People on this forum tend to do that a lot, and I'd like to know what I'm clicking into. Just a link isn't much help, especially if the site is in another language. :?

It looks like its pointing out hints that the series is connected to Dragon Ball, pretty sweet!

He seems to be of the opinion that


Seems unlikely to me, but who knows….
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:42 am

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby medama_oyaji » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Here's Toriyama's comment in Viz's Shonen Jump:

Image

User avatar
TheRed259
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 886
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:26 am

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby TheRed259 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm

That message was really sad ... :cry:

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14833
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby Chuquita » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 pm

So this is really the last one; that does explain some of the sense of melancholy in that first chapter. Even though the plan is to keep things light, chapter one left me with such overarching feelings of sadness, though there was some humor too. I'm curious to see where this goes.
My deviantart : Dragon Ball doodles and comics
My tumblr : Assorted goods and stuff
---
Piccolo: Listen...in the instant he moves to attack...he's open... We'll use that instant...
Vegeta: Good plan. I hope it works.
Piccolo: ...
Vegeta: Don't look at me. You'll miss your instant.
Piccolo: So confident...I hope to see your face when Son Gokû arrives...
Vegeta: Oh? And who's that? Your secret weapon?

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am
Location: Maryland

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby WesMan23 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:51 pm

So, this is his last hurrah? Can't say I'm happy about the news, but I have to give major respect for the guy, doing what he's been doing for 30+ years. After all, he's the reason we're all here. I know he's getting older, and it makes sense that he doesn't have the energy, I just hope that there are no serious underlying problems, other than just age.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

User avatar
Avenged
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1023
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby Avenged » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 pm

It's not his last manga it's just the last one that he will be "writing by himself".
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

User avatar
Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8327
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Only time will tell if it really does end up being his last manga (alone or otherwise), but there definitely is something sad about seeing him talk about it being the last hoorah. :cry: But he's given us so many great stories, and inspired other ones, that I think he's led a career worth leading already, and if he feels it's time to hang up the pen, then more power to Mr. Toriyama. :)
Dragon Ball: Heroes of the New Era - My ongoing Dragon Ball fanfiction. (Ongoing, On Hiatus)
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better."

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion thread (DB–11?)

Postby DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm

If we will see a cameo of all the main characters from all his manga, then that would be awesome.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.


Return to “General Franchise Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Mosaic and 2 guests