Characters who deserved more...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Characters who deserved more...

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:03 am

Don't really know how to phrase this topic. Anyway, we all know Toriyama created some interesting characters throughout Dragon Ball. However I feel like some of his characters should have... been involved more, for lack of better words. For example, I think Dabura was an interesting character, and feel like he should have had more of a role. I mean "King of the Demons", I think Toriyama could have played with that a little more. What do you guys think? :?
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Characters who deserved more...

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:12 am

Tenshinhan stands out big time. He had a great arc at the beginning but it didn't take long for him to be damn near useless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am

ABED wrote:Tenshinhan stands out big time. He had a great arc at the beginning but it didn't take long for him to be damn near useless.
True. Tenshinhan was cool back in the Dragon Ball days, and his third eye to this day is still unexplained. :shifty:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
ABED wrote:Tenshinhan stands out big time. He had a great arc at the beginning but it didn't take long for him to be damn near useless.
True. Tenshinhan was cool back in the Dragon Ball days, and his third eye to this day is still unexplained. :shifty:
Well, there's the whole alien ancestry thing.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 am

Insertclevername wrote:Well, there's the whole alien ancestry thing.
But other than his eye, what else can this alien do? He's basically Krillin. Krillin lacks a nose, no one thinks he's an alien...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 am

I think DBZ could've made better use of their B and C level characters. Yes, Goku or Gohan are the ones to take down the big bad, but like in Buffy or Yu Yu Hakusho, they give the other heroes something to do. I see no reason why Tenshinhan couldn't have defeated Drum.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am

Totally agree. There were many opportunities where the other characters could have had a chance to shine by fighting some henchman.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:59 am

ABED wrote:I think DBZ could've made better use of their B and C level characters. Yes, Goku or Gohan are the ones to take down the big bad, but like in Buffy or Yu Yu Hakusho, they give the other heroes something to do. I see no reason why Tenshinhan couldn't have defeated Drum.
Which is kinda why I love the Namek Arc. Vegeta wasn't even a hero at the time, but there was a lot of development for him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
ABED wrote:I think DBZ could've made better use of their B and C level characters. Yes, Goku or Gohan are the ones to take down the big bad, but like in Buffy or Yu Yu Hakusho, they give the other heroes something to do. I see no reason why Tenshinhan couldn't have defeated Drum.
Which is kinda why I love the Namek Arc. Vegeta wasn't even a hero at the time, but there was a lot of development for him.
Very true, I was also thinking of the fight against the Saiyans. Kuririn, Gohan and even Yajirobe had an integral part in defeating Vegeta.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 am

Also. Speaking of Tenshinhan. He appeared during the Buu arc, got knocked out by Buu then disappeared. Got healed by Dende, then didn't stick around? I thought Tenshinhan showing up again would have been his time. Dafuq happened?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 am

I always found that weird how Tenshinhan just randomly shows up so late in an arc he was barely in; does something and get's his ass kicked in an instant.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

I wish Piccolo was more useful, and I wish Vegeta got SSJ3. That's pretty much it for me.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 am

Insertclevername wrote:I always found that weird how Tenshinhan just randomly shows up so late in an arc he was barely in; does something and get's his ass kicked in an instant.
Yeah but that's the last we see saw from him. After he was healed by Dende, I guess he went to the bathroom, or took a nap, went back to Choazu... it's just weird how he vanished after that scene.

Also, yeah Piccolo is an interesting case. By mid Android Cell Arc, he's three people in one. I wish there was some inner struggle or something, instead of making his fusions so seamless.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:I always found that weird how Tenshinhan just randomly shows up so late in an arc he was barely in; does something and get's his ass kicked in an instant.
Yeah but that's the last we see saw from him. After he was healed by Dende, I guess he went to the bathroom, or took a nap, went back to Choazu... it's just weird how he vanished after that scene.

Also, yeah Piccolo is an interesting case. By mid Android Cell Arc, he's three people in one. I wish there was some inner struggle or something, instead of making his fusions so seamless.
Technically two in one, but I'm splitting hairs. Internal struggle like that feels too heady for Dragon Ball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:38 pm

I think Dabra should have lasted longer as well. I think King Cold should have been longer as well and maybe have him transform. I think having Goku and Trunks team up against final form could have been pretty cool to see.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah I think King Cold barely lived up to any hype that may of had. Apparently stronger than Freeza, but we don't know by how much. If he's the King of that race, he should have been more significant. BUT... at that point in the story, it may be just dargging out the end of the Freeza Arc. So I don't know. Maybe it would be better if he wasn't with Freeza, and learned of Goku later on, and then find him and challenge him.

SSJJezter
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJJezter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Yeah I think King Cold barely lived up to any hype that may of had. Apparently stronger than Freeza, but we don't know by how much. If he's the King of that race, he should have been more significant. BUT... at that point in the story, it may be just dargging out the end of the Freeza Arc. So I don't know. Maybe it would be better if he wasn't with Freeza, and learned of Goku later on, and then find him and challenge him.
Yeah, but then Freeza wouldn't have survived or at least woudn't have come to Earth.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm

I'm sort of glad Kind Cold bit the dust so quick. He would have had his stay over welcomed. Besides, at that point in the story, something more fresh like the Jinzoningen was needed who were completely unrelated to the Saiyans or Freeza.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Goten. He is the 2nd son of Son Goku, and he is the weakest Saiyan. Trunks had a lot of solo moments in Cell arc & GT, but Goten appears only in Boo arc, and he barely did something in GT. Even in the video games, Trunks got SS3, while Goten got nothing. He was shown to have the potential to surpass even Gohan, yet the only thing that he was ever useful was to use Fusion with Trunks, and give his energy to Goku in BoG & GT. At least he was the protagonist of M11 (along with Trunks).
DarkPrince_92 wrote:But other than his eye, what else can this alien do? He's basically Krillin. Krillin lacks a nose, no one thinks he's an alien...
He can grow a 2nd pair of hands from his back, and can split in 4.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

I think they used most characters as much as they would logically be involved in a particular story.

I kind of wish Oolong and Pu'er would continue transforming now and then, though, if just for a quick comedic moment.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?