Does Dragonball inspire you to get fitter and healthier?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Does Dragonball inspire you to get fitter and healthier?

Post by Dr. Machismo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Physically, of course.

Anyway, **** yeah. Who wouldn't want to look like this?

So hot. Image
Last edited by Dr. Machismo on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world's greatest.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does Dragonball inspire you get fitter and healthier?

Post by Sin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:11 pm

It does in a sense, but at the same time some of the most powerful characters in DB aren't beefcakes. I think because of that a lot of the time I feel like I don't have to work out to be strong, I just have to tap into some hidden power when I need to :P

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 pm

I actually started body building as a teenager for this specific reason, between DBZ and Spider-Man/X-Men comics, I was vastly inspired to change. I wasn't fat fat, but husky when I was young, so when I had a slimmer physique as a teenager, I took advantage of it and ever since I've been athletic. I'm no body builder anymore, but because of what I did in my past I'm very lean and lead a far healthier lifestyle than I ever saw myself leading.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Kerunou wrote:I actually started body building as a teenager for this specific reason, between DBZ and Spider-Man/X-Men comics, I was vastly inspired to change. I wasn't fat fat, but husky when I was young, so when I had a slimmer physique as a teenager, I took advantage of it and ever since I've been athletic. I'm no body builder anymore, but because of what I did in my past I'm very lean and lead a far healthier lifestyle than I ever saw myself leading.

So you don't work out anymore?
The world's greatest.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Does Dragonball inspire you to get fitter and healthier?

Post by Blade » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I think it motivates me to exercise and keep in shape on days that I really don't feel like it or would rather eat Pizza and Ice-cream - but I've never been too interested in bulking up. I'm toned up for my build, and that's good for me.

I guess for me it has always been about just keeping the weight down, because like a lot of guys I grew up being able to eat whatever I wanted and still stayed skinny but when I left my teens I suddenly realised I needed to pay attention to what I ate and make an actual effort to keep active.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 pm

While it wasn't one of the reasons--though other things did happen to me that led to me exercising regularly and eating better, I feel like I can relate better to that runners high type feeling now. Like when Gokû complains in the Jump 08 special about feeling rusty gardening instead of doing his martial arts, that's very legit, because if you go like three, four days or so on break from whatever exercise you normally do, you feel it when you start back up.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kerunou

Post by Kerunou » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Dr. Machismo wrote:
Kerunou wrote:I actually started body building as a teenager for this specific reason, between DBZ and Spider-Man/X-Men comics, I was vastly inspired to change. I wasn't fat fat, but husky when I was young, so when I had a slimmer physique as a teenager, I took advantage of it and ever since I've been athletic. I'm no body builder anymore, but because of what I did in my past I'm very lean and lead a far healthier lifestyle than I ever saw myself leading.

So you don't work out anymore?
No, far from it. I don't body build anymore is what I'm saying. I work out every day, but I don't lift much anymore or exclusively weight train.

AJRR

Post by AJRR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:54 pm

It definitely gives me a little extra drive in the gym thinking of how hard some of the characters in the series would train. I wouldn't say it inspired me to get into body building but at times in training (in the gym or for sports) it keeps me motivated to keep going harder.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm

I guess so. There are other personal reason as to why I exercise and diet but I'd say Dragon Ball puts me in the mood to be active a lot of the time when I watch or read it.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Not really. I have recently started to diet and exercise to lose weight for personal reasons, but not really because of DragonBall.

If any anime/manga gives me inspiration to work out, it'd be Hajime no Ippo.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Well, no actually. I don't think it has ever even crossed my mind before today. Not even once. Maybe it's because I really don't care what I look like as long as I'm not massively overweight and feel comfortable... I'm happy!

Dragonball did however inspire me to master flight. Still working on it, though.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

BlackCatScott wrote: Dragonball did however inspire me to master flight. Still working on it, though.
I've been working on teleporting myself. I'll get there eventually.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 pm

No. It did however make me learn more about Chi

MuffinButton

Post by MuffinButton » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 pm

I played a lot of sports in school, and generally try to keep up my body by lifting weights and running at the local gym. Mostly to be healthy and to have the strength to do every day tasks/chores. And of course, to look presentable to the ladies. Sometimes I go through periods of laziness but I eventually get back on a normal exercise routine. Having Goku and friends on my mind is indeed an inspiration to get my butt into that gym and to push to lift more weight!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I feel inspired by Goku's appetite.. it changed my life....
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:46 pm

You have NO idea. When I was 10, I started eating what I saw Goku eating, which was rice and met with the bone on it, which was a heck of a lot fresher and better than Kids Cuisine, joined martial arts, got my black belt, and dropped 50 pounds. Not a day goes by i don't thank DBZ for inspiring me to get myself of the couch nd in shape.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:07 pm

I wouldn't say it inspired me to get fit and into shape, but it is one of the things that comes to mind while actually training trying give myself a final push in running that extra mile or to push out those last few reps on the weights.

"To push myself to my absolute limit and then break it!" Dragonball is great to that type of motivation. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:13 pm

I do work out as often as my time/schedule will permit (especially considering how snooty people can be about your physical appearance in Los Angeles), but "Dragonball" didn't serve as much of an inspiration there apart from having a few Kageyama songs on my workout playlist.

Having said that, I do have a friend who is in phenomenal shape, and he said that he started working out like a madman when he was 12 precisely because of DBZ. So I'm not surprised to see that it has inspired others to get in shape!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
If any anime/manga gives me inspiration to work out, it'd be Hajime no Ippo.
Damn right. Awesome manga.

However, I'm too lazy and busy to work out much.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:especially considering how snooty people can be about your physical appearance in Los Angeles
That's a shame to hear. You'd think one of the most liberal cities of the US, would be be more emphatic and understanding towards different body types. Goes to show you that many people are still self-righteous hypocrites in 2013...

Back on topic, I have also worked out with a few Kageyama/DBZ songs on my workout playlist from time to time. :)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.