Should Boo arc be a separate anime series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Should Boo arc be a separate anime series?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

From Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z, we had many changes: New music, new openings, endings, etc, new characters, and a change in the style of the series (less comedy, more ki-based fights, many transformations, etc). But from Cell arc to Boo arc, there was a similar change: New music, new openings, endings, etc, new characters, and a change in the style of the series (Saiyan-Cell arcs were serious with some gags here & there, while Boo arc had a serious plot with gags all over the place). It replaced Goku with Gohan, and Goten & Trunks took Gohan's old position (though Goku ended up saving the day in the end). Many years passed, and many characters changed. Almost everything changed... except for the title.

Does anyone else feel that Saiyan-Cell arcs & Boo arc should have been two different anime series?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Should Boo arc be a separate anime series?

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 pm

It would have been a good place to switch off. What real difference would it have made though.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 pm

I get what you mean but I really like how it was done in the real thing where the Boo arc was treated more as a "part two" of "Z".
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 am

It's fine the way it is, in my opinion.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 am

No, leave it the way it is.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:21 am

I often find myself taking this the other way and wishing the whole thing could've been left Dragon Ball. Sure, fans still would have noticed and discussed how there's a shift in the way the plot unfolds, with it taking the science fiction route, but I think the title change sort of galvanized the audience into treating the series as two separate entities. This effect seems to have been especially heightened when we received the show in the U.S. and went through it out of order. This isn't to say Funimation wouldn't have still started the whole shebang at the Saiyans arrival if the "Z" separator not been there, but it probably would have made it a more difficult decision. It's really interesting to think about your what-if scenario, Toei changing the title again for Buu, and wondering if maybe that's where Funimation could've started the show. A starting lead closer to the target age and a couple of young-uns to appease the tykes, our nostalgia would be shifted and think about all of those earthlings being sent to the next dimension by Boo. Hercule would have, of course, remained Hercule; even if the French had not named him that by 96' or 97', it would've still been destiny. A dark, dark, destiny... Or maybe they would've named him Mark. I dunno.
I love you love Mashirito.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:26 am

I get your point.

Cell & Buu Arc as a whole felt like complete "part 2" of Z.

The 1st Half of Z (Saiyan~Frieza Saga) essentially built-up on the Super Saiyan theory.

Cell & Buu Arc introduced various aspects as ASSJ/USSJ/FPSSJ. Not to forget Fusion, Potara, SSJ2/3.

I dont see why Boo Arc should be a stand alone anime series though.

While it might be another excuse for Buu Saga haters to banish it to eternal hell, it still has its charm in a unique way.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 am

Vijay wrote:I dont see why Boo Arc should be a stand alone anime series though.
I don't know, it feels like Part 3 of the series to me.
Vijay wrote:While it might be another excuse for Buu Saga haters to banish it to eternal hell, it still has its charm in a unique way.
Hey, I love Boo arc!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:08 am

The naming scheme they chose wouldn't make it fitting, considering the letter "Z" was kind of there signifying the end. So they more or less shut the door on that potentiality. But there's really no need for the Buu arc to be separated.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Why do something so unnecessary?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I know the Buu Arc is really long and it definitely has a pretty different feel from the other DBZ arcs before it. We got a 7 year time skip, old characters growing up, new characters introduced to the main cast, no direct lead-in from the a previous arc, and a new opening, ending and eye-catches. But splitting the series as you've proposed...no.

I admit it would be a decent starting point to split the series again, but just breaking off the one arc feels incredibly pointless. Now, if the actual manga had included some version of content like Neko Majin Z, Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return and Battle of Gods during the original run, as proper arcs instead of short stories written as a gag/special/movie, then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. Bring on Dragon Ball Z2 or whatever.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:The naming scheme they chose wouldn't make it fitting, considering the letter "Z" was kind of there signifying the end.
Dragon Ball GT says hi. :P
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I know the Buu Arc is really long and it definitely has a pretty different feel from the other DBZ arcs before it. We got a 7 year time skip, old characters growing up, new characters introduced to the main cast, no direct lead-in from the a previous arc, and a new opening, ending and eye-catches. But splitting the series as you've proposed...no.

I admit it would be a decent starting point to split the series again, but just breaking off the one arc feels incredibly pointless. Now, if the actual manga had included some version of content like Neko Majin Z, Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return and Battle of Gods during the original run, as proper arcs instead of short stories written as a gag/special/movie, then I wouldn't really have a problem with it. Bring on Dragon Ball Z2 or whatever.
I think that the fact that it is only one story arc could be the reason they didn't separate it. If there was another or two arcs after Boo arc (but without a big time-skip), maybe they would have made it a different series.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Would be waste of a new series to be honest. Not that Boo Arc was bad. It just doesn't need to be it's own series.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:18 pm

I think it's fine the way they did it :) I think something that would have been cool is if the did a spin-off saga with Majin Buu for example perhaps back when the saiyan race were for the most a healthy race you could have had Frieza and some of his best men (saiyans) have a run in with buu maybe back when he came towards then end of his first reign of terror or something to that affect anyway :) maybe in his Inexperience Frieza was able to gain an upper hand and then afterwards prompted buu's master and himself to go after the Kai's? I don't k ow how old Frieza is so I don't know if I could apply his character to when Buu was first at large so please forgive me on any mistakes on that part. Could have been interesting anyway :)
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:45 pm

True story: during most of the summer of 1993 (while the Anoyoichi Budokai stuff was airing), the usenet newsgroups were filled with rumors that the next part of the series was in fact going to be divided into a whole new anime series, complete with new opening/closing theme and everything. Some poster referred to it hypothetically as "Dragon Ball ZZ" and the name wound up sticking and a bunch of people actually thought that that was really going to be the name of it.

So for the whole summer that year, most Dragon Ball-related threads were abuzz about an all new "Dragon Ball ZZ" series that was supposedly going to start airing that fall... which as we all know turned out to simply be Cha La Head Cha La and Zenkai Power finally at long last being retired (after a whopping 4 and a half year run) and We Gotta Power and We Were Angels (complete with brand new animation) being brought in as the new opening and closing for what was still just plain ol' DBZ.

Lesson here: for all the many, many things that have changed about internet discussion since the early 90's, some aspects - like the whole game of telephone that often gets played with rumors - still endure just fine. In this very old case, "DBZ finally gets a new opening and closing theme/aninmation" had mutated into "DBZ is ending and a whole new DB series is starting!" Which if DBZ were a thing that were first airing today is something that could more than easily still happen among overzealous fans (though I'm sure sites like this one would be much more easily able to suss out the truth and help squash the rumors at least somewhat).
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think it should be a separate series - but I have often wondered why it didn't become such, and whether or not it was ever considered. In the end though, it really does work best as just the last part of Z, since despite the changes it brings with Gohan, Goten, and Trunks taking up the mantle, things really just end up swinging back to the status quo in the end - so it works better where it is in retrospect. Which is the same reason it amuses me that the new opening features Gohan's school friends so prominently, as if they're gonna play a big part in the story. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:59 pm

I've always thought so, because the Cell saga basically wrapped up the entire portion of Dragon Ball from the arrival of Raditz to Gohan defeating Cell, and then we get a big timeskip and a "new era," so to speak.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I don't think it should be a separate series - but I have often wondered why it didn't become such, and whether or not it was ever considered. In the end though, it really does work best as just the last part of Z, since despite the changes it brings with Gohan, Goten, and Trunks taking up the mantle, things really just end up swinging back to the status quo in the end - so it works better where it is in retrospect. Which is the same reason it amuses me that the new opening features Gohan's school friends so prominently, as if they're gonna play a big part in the story. :P
Yeah I think the way they did it to wrap it up was bang on.. Maybe a Bardock type special but a Majin Buu origin story instead?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Well, every significant info on Majin Boo was given, I think that I would prefer Freeza's origin story.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Yeah!! Getting some info on his race would be awesome as a minimum! I wonder If he was always evil or if he was beaten down and just flipped a switch to everything so life was then easier, yeah freeza definitely one origin story I'd like to see!