Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm

You don't want your base footage to be horrendously sharp. That's for your TV and media player to handle.

With a properly calibrated monitor or TV, the level sets grain should be present but not distracting. If your TV has edge enhancement ON or your sharpness is too high, it's going to be an issue.

Some people like it, some people don't. You can sharpen up the DBoxes and Kai in VLC or simply with your TV. It's not exactly difficult.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:02 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:You don't want your base footage to be horrendously sharp. That's for your TV and media player to handle.

With a properly calibrated monitor or TV, the level sets grain should be present but not distracting. If your TV has edge enhancement ON or your sharpness is too high, it's going to be an issue.

Some people like it, some people don't. You can sharpen up the DBoxes and Kai in VLC or simply with your TV. It's not exactly difficult.
No, you're right, you don't want the footage horrendously sharp. But you don't want it too soft, either.

When I watch my digital backups of my Dragon Box DVDs, I do up the sharpness in VLC, which looks pretty great, but I rarely watch stuff on my computer. 95% of the time, I watch stuff on an HD television, which doesn't do nearly as well at increasing sharpness. I'd prefer my Blu-rays to be natively sharp and detailed, and not rely on inferior ways of artificially increasing visual quality. If you want to see footage more soft, and less detailed, just watch the DVD version on an HD display.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Dalesy wrote:The purpose of the Kai remaster was to update and modernize the show for today's broadcast standards and give it a new look, because Kai was a new show.
Maybe for the Japanese TV-version it was modernised but outside of it, they just gave us a blurred, not very crisp and for an HD remaster this leaves a lot to please.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Dalesy wrote:The purpose of the Kai remaster was to update and modernize the show for today's broadcast standards and give it a new look, because Kai was a new show.
Maybe for the Japanese TV-version it was modernised but outside of it, they just gave us a blurred, not very crisp and for an HD remaster this leaves a lot to please.
Blu-Ray will always look better than HD Broadcasts.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:19 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Maybe for the Japanese TV-version it was modernised but outside of it, they just gave us a blurred, not very crisp and for an HD remaster this leaves a lot to please.
So, your defense for this release is basically, "Well, Toei's not perfect either!" despite it being brought up time and time again that Kai is an updated version that was never meant to replace the original, unlike what we get in the USA (which also looks worse than Kai, no question, imo).
sumpter360 wrote:So in my opinion, Kai may be superior to other releases in terms of color, but looking at crisp, high definition details, it pales in comparison to most other releases, including the Level sets and the new Blu-ray Season set.
What is this I don't even... what detail is left in this release?
dbboxkaifan wrote:Finally someone that owns it actually reviewed it, aside from the Blu-ray.com user. Thanks, Sumpter360!
i.e. "Thanks for backing me up! ~fist bump~"
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Again, I think Kai looks way better than these new Z Blu-rays. I'll take slightly soft over ridiculously filtered.

Apparently the new Blu-rays also look terrible in motion. Instead of disappearing lines we have what look to be streaks of fading grain from the DVNR not being applied properly (someone posted a screenshot earlier).

The Blue Bricks had a similar issue where splotches of grain would sometimes remain for a frame during high action scenes. It wasn't as noticeable there because those used old Digibetas as their footage source.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Maybe for the Japanese TV-version it was modernised but outside of it, they just gave us a blurred, not very crisp and for an HD remaster this leaves a lot to please.
So, your defense for this release is basically, "Well, Toei's not perfect either!" despite it being brought up time and time again that Kai is an updated version that was never meant to replace the original, unlike what we get in the USA (which also looks worse than Kai, no question, imo).
sumpter360 wrote:So in my opinion, Kai may be superior to other releases in terms of color, but looking at crisp, high definition details, it pales in comparison to most other releases, including the Level sets and the new Blu-ray Season set.
What is this I don't even... what detail is left in this release?
dbboxkaifan wrote:Finally someone that owns it actually reviewed it, aside from the Blu-ray.com user. Thanks, Sumpter360!
i.e. "Thanks for backing me up! ~fist bump~"
This.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:17 pm

They need to stop wasting money on remaster after remaster and just re-animate the entire manga.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:48 am

So when is Funimation supposed to answer the questions that Mike submitted to them?
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 am

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Blu-ray will always look better than HD Broadcasts.
Normally yes, but in Kai's case it's a tie because the quality wasn't remastered in HD. It's all blurry/smoothed as if they took DBZ Dragonboxes fixed the colours but left the rest mostly intact as is.
KingofWisdom wrote:i.e. "Thanks for backing me up! ~fist bump~"
What a moronic thing to say, I don't "fist bump" (I remember doing that back in 2008 or so) or "backing me up" because I don't own it and I simply wanted to know what to expect from it since I've bought it.
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:This.
You literally quoted a comment just to say "this", you must be quite bored.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:24 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Normally yes, but in Kai's case it's a tie because the quality wasn't remastered in HD..
Yes it was...

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:42 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Normally yes, but in Kai's case it's a tie because the quality wasn't remastered in HD..
Yes it was...

If you didn't know you'd say it was an upscaled DVD because that's what it looks like.

But well, forget Kai that was a rushed cash-cow for Toei Animation which didn't make the profit they wanted, plus not to mention the shitty music replacement and from cancelled to uncancelled for the Buu arc (Dragon Boxes upscaled?).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 am

Dalesy wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Dalesy wrote: Just drummed up a little side by side comparison in Photoshop. It's obvious that the frame has been shifted. There is a little extra space on the sides, but it would in no way result in a shift like this.
http://gyazo.com/15d033fd00a36665e6fb141390625c35.png
Thank you that proves my point that it isn't just a center crop.
That's not to say that it's selective cropping, however. It may have just been that they shifted the frame for the rescan. We would need to compare more frames to see if this is actually selective cropping.
Yeah, I guess that that's the case here. From what I can see, other shots from episode 1 have more image at the bottom, too.

dbboxkaifan wrote:
I don't get what you meant here. Kai is still a new show that looks the same in every country.

Metalwario64 wrote:
Yes it was...

I guess he means that it's not really HD quality, which is a very abstract statement.

dbboxkaifan wrote:But well, forget Kai that was a rushed cash-cow for Toei Animation which didn't make the profit they wanted, plus not to mention the shitty music replacement and from cancelled to uncancelled for the Buu arc (Dragon Boxes upscaled?).
You're becoming like a broken record... Also, the replacement music in Kai has nothing to do with the discussion about this release.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:59 am

Amazon.com for the UK residents has the estimated delivery date of Jan 28 to Feb 4 and that's just weird because usually it just takes 1-2 weeks to arrive.

Goku:

Nappa:

On the S1 cover I noticed this above, so, I guess they didn't want to cut them off but they just don't look right.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Will I be able to buy and watch this release if I live in the UK? I'm tempted to pick these up.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:24 pm

SSJ3_Zack wrote:Will I be able to buy and watch this release if I live in the UK? I'm tempted to pick these up.
Yeah, it's Region A & B.

Amazon.com has it for £19.89, that is, the cheapest shipping method (usually 1-2 weeks time).

http://tinyurl.com/klftaab

If you read the top review by Adam Silvia he wrote a very detailed review about the product and in his opinion it's a good alternate release but not the best, of course. Dragon Box Z will remain at the very top as always.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Ah that's great, will the Amazon US ship to the UK?

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Yeah, it's Region A & B.

Amazon.com has it for £19.89, that is, the cheapest shipping method (usually 1-2 weeks time).

http://tinyurl.com/klftaab

If you read the top review by Adam Silvia he wrote a very detailed review about the product and in his opinion it's a good alternate release but not the best, of course. Dragon Box Z will remain at the very top as always.
Ah that's great, will the Amazon US ship to the UK? I've never ordered off of Amazon.com before.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:35 pm

Yeah Zack, just insert your Amazon.co.uk login + pass on Amazon.com and you can order it.

The Amazon login is universal to all Amazon websites.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks dbboxkaifan!