Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:12 pm

As for the Blu-Ray seasons, they still look like shit. Since Funi is running out of ideas for home video releases then I bet we will see Blu-Ray 3D season sets in the five or six years.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Man, am I glad that this set is being released as opposed the terrible level sets and dragon boxes and even the Orange Bricks (although later season's aren't that bad).

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm pretty sure FUNi will probably treat the hardcore fans to another Dragon Box release or bring a special over.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man, am I glad that this set is being released as opposed the terrible level sets and dragon boxes and even the Orange Bricks (although later season's aren't that bad).
What are you talking about?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:27 pm

So, is the last shot of the opening animation really the only instance of the selective cropping they say? Well, I'm not surprised because if you selectively crop 4:3 footage, you'll have to upscale it like Toei did to Kai. You have to scan only the center in 1080p or the entire image in higher resolution in order to produce a cropped version without upscale. Of corse, the former is a much cheaper way.
SupremeSSJ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man, am I glad that this set is being released as opposed the terrible level sets and dragon boxes and even the Orange Bricks (although later season's aren't that bad).
His signature explains everything, I guess.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:30 pm

kei17 wrote:
SupremeSSJ wrote:
His signature explains everything I guess.
What do you mean by that, exactly?

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:30 pm

kei17 wrote:
SupremeSSJ wrote:
His signature explains everything I guess.
LOL

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What do you mean by that, exactly?
You're signature includes a dub only line which gives the implications that you are a fan of FUNi's English dub. He's likely playing off the stereotype that dub only fans like FUNi's old dub due to ignorance. This would explain why you would have a signature of a line that completely screws up Goku's character and like an inferior release of DBZ.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:01 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
You're signature includes a dub only line which gives the implications that you are a fan of FUNi's English dub. He's likely playing off the stereotype that dub only fans like FUNi's old dub due to ignorance. This would explain why you would have a signature of a line that completely screws up Goku's character and like an inferior release of DBZ.
Ignorance of what exactly?
And this release is far from inferior.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Yeah, can we not take potshots at people just because they happen to like a dub line? It is still possible to like certain lines out of context, even if they are inaccurate, which for all you know is the case here...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes, I'm completely aware how horrendous Funi's Z dub is (script wise) but that doesn't mean I can't like certain lines from it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Yeah, can we not take potshots at people just because they happen to like a dub line?
Agreed. Not really necessary. Nothing wrong with liking the line itself.

Thinking these BD sets are superior to the Levels or Dragon Boxes, on the other hand... *scratches head*
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:35 pm

Kaboom wrote:Thinking these BD sets are superior to the Levels or Dragon Boxes, on the other hand... *scratches head*
I disagree that they are superior, but I can see people liking these. Not everyone cares about the cropping, and there are people that prefer 16:9 because it fills the whole screen. There are also people who like brightness there, and also like the clean picture that has no grain. So, the series does look like it's more modern in a way. It's in 16:9, it has bright colors, and it doesn't have any grain on it.

But I (and most people here) don't want to lose so much picture, and don't want so bright colors, and don't mind the grain. We want to have as much picture as possible, the colors as close to the original as possible, and the grain because we don't care if the show looks old. Am I wrong?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Ignorance of what exactly?
And this release is far from inferior.
This release is far inferior to the Level Sets. So far, the only release that it seems to trump is the Orange Bricks. The video quality is piss poor, and the cropping is just a ridiculous idea.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 pm

You guys really do need to keep in mind that just because you find it (IE the cropping) ridiculous, doesn't mean others do. I'm against it for the most part myself, but if that's what someone wants, it doesn't automatically make them an imbecile and deserving of all your hate. At least not in my opinion.

And while I do agree that the Level Sets looked better, there's one advantage that these sets have over those that can't be denied - the episode count. A lot of people (myself included on many things) like to get the most for our money, and going from sets that had a lot of episodes per set for a certain price (Season Sets and Dragon Boxes) to a release that has a lot fewer (Level Sets) was never going to be a winning proposition for a lot of people, no matter how good they look. These however are going to be a lot of episodes for a pretty good price, so that's going to entice people a little more.

Course there's also the fact that now it's been a good amount longer since the last release of DBZ than there was between the Season Sets, Dragon Boxes, and Level Sets, but that one is all on FUNi's head.
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm almost certain that kei17 was originally referring to the second quote of his signature...
Don't pick on the kid though. Come on guys, everyone has their opinions and we have to learn how to respect them no matter how shitty or off we may think they might be. (you know who you are on the video game section of Kanzenshuu >.>)
One World. 🌐 🕊

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:30 pm

People on this website need to realise that what looks, sounds or is "better" is entirely subjective in most cases, and stop making such a big deal out of it when someone voices an alternative opinion; it makes people feel uncomfortable. Artistic integrity is another issue, and I would, like most of you, prefer the Levels sets, but it's really not good when I see someone say they wouldn't and I KNOW someone is going to put them down, subtly or otherwise.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Yeah, can we not take potshots at people just because they happen to like a dub line?
Agreed. Not really necessary. Nothing wrong with liking the line itself.
For what it's worth, it's not a bad line, it's just completely OOC for *Gokū* of all people to be saying it.

I want to hear that line coming out of the Great Saiyaman's mouth. Now THAT would be cool.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Here's hoping this release makes enough money for FUNimation to rerelease the Dragon Box Z sets upscaled on Blu-ray (apologies to the people who pick this up without knowing any better). The first Blu-ray season is #28 on Amazon's best seller list for anime Blu-rays. I knew the loud minority would have no effect on the sales. The same exact thing happened with the Orange Bricks. I know it's not exactly topping the charts, but that's more than likely because people are satisfied with previous releases. On the other hand, for a series that's been milked as much as DBZ, these are selling quite good.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by supersaiyan3 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:
Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Roland_ELoG wrote:The two potential bright spots are the possibility of better widescreen framing, and the possibility the grain removal won't annihilate facial detail.

But they're just potential bright spots, since the trailer didn't showcase any of that stuff.
Who knows, maybe the film itself this time is actually cleaner and more free of tape splicing, marks, and all of the other damages seen in the DVD season sets. That was my biggest problem with the Orange Bricks, it not only had completely center cropped footage, DVNR, bad and oversaturated colors, blinding brights, and badly mixed Japanese music with the English dialogue, but they didn't clean or restore the film before changing it. It still had dirt, hairs, scratches, everything. I'm not defending this new release or anything, but if I have anything good thing to say about this release, it's that it won't be quite as bad as the Orange Brick release, and that as the releases go by they'll get better overtime (OB Seasons 6-9 didn't look as bad as OB Seasons 1-5 did), you get more footage than the OBs (although it's still cropped), AND you won't get shit like this:
Now that people have the set, will anyone post the above nappa shot?
Sure. But does anybody happen to know what episode the Nappa shot is from? It's hard to tell from the context so it'd take me forever to find it