Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by thomas1up » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 am

ShinGaijin wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Hey can somebody post comparison pic of season 7 and the boo saga kai?
Here you are. :) I specify that my Kai's HDTV raws are untouched.
The cropping and sharpening is better on Kai, but I can't stand those awful colours.

Z all the way for me.
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 am

The only redeeming quality about the FUNimation Season Blu-rays are the colours because the rest's all infinitely better on the Majin Boo arc Kai episodes, and if the green tint is that big of an issue then colour correct it yourself.

All of the screenshots are too blurry and darkened whereas when you compare to Kai you'll actually see the details there and also it's unblurred.

Take Gohan's chest (1st shot screens) you can barely see on FUNimation's remaster because of how blackened it is.

FUNimation also done something similar to this back in 2010 with their digitally remastered Dragon Ball: The Legend of Shen Long on DVD.

Dragon Box

FUNimation

Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/curse ... od-rubies/
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The only redeeming quality about the FUNimation Season Blu-rays are the colours because the rest's all infinitely better on the Majin Boo arc Kai episodes, and if the green tint is that big of an issue then colour correct it yourself.

All of the screenshots are too blurry and darkened whereas when you compare to Kai you'll actually see the details there and also it's unblurred.

Take Gohan's chest (1st shot screens) you can barely see on FUNimation's remaster because of how blackened it is.

FUNimation also done something similar to this back in 2010 with their digitally remastered Dragon Ball: The Legend of Shen Long on DVD.

Dragon Box

FUNimation

Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/curse ... od-rubies/
The green tint shouldn't be something I have to fix myself, it shouldn't even be a problem, besides the colours aren't my only issue with Boo Kai, I dislike the pacing and the music too, the only reason I'm even interested in is for the FUNi Dub (and even then Boo was pretty well dubbed in the first place).
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:34 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Funimation has posted the trailer for season 9

http://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon- ... ne-blu-ray
wow, the color on this trailer looks promising, I wonder if they took away those unnecessary post sharpening and brightening.

Martinrock

Post by Martinrock » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Finally you understand! I have long since abandoned the idea to convince these people. By the way, I bought season 1 and I sold it immediately! It's just mediocre. I am happy with my DragonBox until he decided to released the new blu-ray, and this, I say with certainty that by 2015 or 2016, with the right ratio and good colors, DragonBox in bluray in short.
See you next year! or not.
Kojiro Sasaki wrote: I didn't expect anything better since the first cover art. Their intentions were clear to me since they uploaded a first trailer. This release was meant to be crappy and cheap and everything about it meets this standard.
In this situation, I would say that the cover art is good, because it perfectly defines the content of the box :)

It's really sad to watch people being f'd and still happy and grateful... :( I'm glad that I didn't spend more time on this idiotic campaign. 99% of Dragon Ball fans are hopeless, ignorant, arrogant, uneducated, passive, selfish and lazy people with a slave mentality and lack of taste. Trying to convince them is a pure time wasting. I decided to work on my own and I never expected that I will achieve THAT much. At this point, I don't need anything from FUNimation.

Final conclusion: If you can count - count on yourself!

(If you don't feel like hopeless, ignorant, arrogant, uneducated, passive, selfish and lazy person with a slave mentality and lack of taste, you probably belong to this 1% of people)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:25 pm

I say with certainty that by 2015 or 2016, with the right ratio and good colors, DragonBox in bluray in short.
Toei has proved themselves that they'd rather upscale and DNR their classic shows than go all the way to properly remaster a show like FUNimation did on their Level Blu-rays.

I've got the Saga Sets for DB, Dragon Box Z 1-7 + Levels 1.1-1.2 for Z and the Singles for GT so I'm satisfied with it. I don't need nor want to re-buy a release unless it's actually better than the one(s) I own.

I'm done buying Dragon Ball shows for now (until 2015 when TFC are released) and with that, I'll be purchasing Kill La Kill Collector's Edition Blu-ray Part 1/3 (the pilot episode is awesome!).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:17 pm

Agreed dbboxkaifan. I won't say that I'm done buying the movies because I'd like to see the movies get remastered like the level sets even though I'm 90% sure that won't happen BUT! I have hope. I want the Dragon-boxes for the original series and GT but as far as buying Z goes? I'm done for a loooooooooooong time. I'm satisfied with Funimation's new release and the Dragon-boxes.

Edit - And the Boo saga of Kai! haha :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:39 am

Well yeah, the films are a must buy too if they're properly remastered or if they get an English Dragon Box release but ain't getting my hopes up for it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Martinrock

Post by Martinrock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:40 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
I say with certainty that by 2015 or 2016, with the right ratio and good colors, DragonBox in bluray in short.
Toei has proved themselves that they'd rather upscale and DNR their classic shows than go all the way to properly remaster a show like FUNimation did on their Level Blu-rays.

I've got the Saga Sets for DB, Dragon Box Z 1-7 + Levels 1.1-1.2 for Z and the Singles for GT so I'm satisfied with it. I don't need nor want to re-buy a release unless it's actually better than the one(s) I own.

I'm done buying Dragon Ball shows for now (until 2015 when TFC are released) and with that, I'll be purchasing Kill La Kill Collector's Edition Blu-ray Part 1/3 (the pilot episode is awesome!).
You're absolutely right. Kai is really not terrible and I don't like the background music. Toei just tried to adapt it to current tastes but did not try to restore it and I don't know if it will one day ...

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:14 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:They probably dont have the art work yet so it's a place holder :)

I've been debating on weither or not to get the blurays but I find myself liking the single DVDs a lot. They feel and look old which really blasts the nostalgia lol
I oun all the season blu-rays so far and I am very pleased with them for the most part. It's not a perfect release but what release is. I thing people on here are being over critical. No release will be good enough for some I guess.

Martinrock

Post by Martinrock » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:35 am

ss4songoku wrote:I oun all the season blu-rays so far and I am very pleased with them for the most part. It's not a perfect release but what release is. I thing people on here are being over critical. No release will be good enough for some I guess.
Both picture quality and sound are just terrible. I even prefer the orange bricks that are more natural and I mean in comparison to the manga.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 am

Martinrock wrote:
ss4songoku wrote:I oun all the season blu-rays so far and I am very pleased with them for the most part. It's not a perfect release but what release is. I thing people on here are being over critical. No release will be good enough for some I guess.
Both picture quality and sound are just terrible. I even prefer the orange bricks that are more natural and I mean in comparison to the manga.
What are you talking about?? The sound quality on the new blu rays sound amazing and they look way better then the orange bricks.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 am

Martinrock wrote:Both picture quality and sound are just terrible. I even prefer the orange bricks that are more natural and I mean in comparison to the manga.
Picture? It's not very good but the Japanese audio if it's similar to the one on the Level Blu-rays then it's much better than what was on the Dragon Boxes Z.

Trailer of Vol. 8 is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBT9wSeDQss
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:53 am

ss4songoku wrote:I thing people on here are being over critical. No release will be good enough for some I guess.
To be fair, the show/series has been over for almost 17 years at this point. There isn't much else to talk about with the rare exception of a new movie or something. What else can you expect fans to do?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:58 am

I dunno. That still makes it sound like the fans are just bitching because they're bored, not because there are serious, legitimate problems with this release. Don't blame the fans who know better just because FUNimation keeps choosing to butcher their own product for the benefit of those who don't know any better. We're not just nitpicking.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 pm

ect5150 wrote:To be fair, the show/series has been over for almost 17 years at this point. There isn't much else to talk about with the rare exception of a new movie or something. What else can you expect fans to do?
Dragon Ball Z has been around for 25 years (and Dragon Ball for 30 years!) so this is a shit-ton of time that Toei/FUNimation have had to release a near-perfect HD release!
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Can anyone take a comparison shot of Goku going SSJ3 vs Kai? I remember it looked pretty good on Kai.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't have any Kai shots but here is the blu-ray:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't have any Kai shots but here is the blu-ray:
Oh dear Kami, it looks like a waterpaint ready to be framed.

Here's Goku SSJ3 I took a while ago from Episode 126.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:52 pm

Your screenshot is vertically stretched. It should be 1280x720 not 1280x800.

Here is a shot with the correct aspect ratio (albeit colour-corrected):

The black crush on that Blu-ray shot is unreal.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.