Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:14 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:This just makes me upset. Don't support shitty products 'just because'. You won't get the releases you want if you do that. You tell FUNi it's acceptable, they'll keep on believing it.
Not doing it just because. I'm interested in these a bit now, I'd watch it in english as it still feels weird to hear the Japanese on any bluray (werid I know lol). I'll probably get bored of them and sell em off later anyway :lol: Plus if I can get a good deal used for em then FUNi wont see a penny lol. I do hope we get another level set type thingy down the road tho

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
This will probably make you more upset mate but have you had a look at Amazon.com's best selling anime list? These sets are constantly within the top 10, I expected them to drop in sales by now but nope.
Oh, I know. It's a totally fruitless effort. It's a cheap, easy way to own the series and it looks better than the orange bricks. I was more just commenting on those buying in on a whim or whatever you want to call it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:27 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
This will probably make you more upset mate but have you had a look at Amazon.com's best selling anime list? These sets are constantly within the top 10, I expected them to drop in sales by now but nope.
Oh, I know. It's a totally fruitless effort. It's a cheap, easy way to own the series and it looks better than the orange bricks. I was more just commenting on those buying in on a whim or whatever you want to call it.
We'll I wont be buying them anytime soon cause amazon seems to have a low stock...and Best buy only has 1 copy of the last 2 sets left

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:42 am

I've been thinking about getting the Trunks and Bardock double feature on BD. Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not that 2-disc set is truly better than the original DVD version? Is it just as good as the new DBZ season sets in terms of picture quality?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:18 am

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:I've been thinking about getting the Trunks and Bardock double feature on BD. Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not that 2-disc set is truly better than the original DVD version? Is it just as good as the new DBZ season sets in terms of picture quality?
The Blu-Rays are a substantial upgrade in terms of the Audio regardless of the Picture quality. It's worth it just for that.

Btown Saiyan

Post by Btown Saiyan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:37 am

Caved and bought season's 8 & 9 this morning on amazon. Really been wanting to watch the Majin/Buu saga's lately. Good job amazon, you got me.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:11 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:I've been thinking about getting the Trunks and Bardock double feature on BD. Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not that 2-disc set is truly better than the original DVD version? Is it just as good as the new DBZ season sets in terms of picture quality?
The Blu-Rays are a substantial upgrade in terms of the Audio regardless of the Picture quality. It's worth it just for that.
Thanks! :thumbup:

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:
He is wrong the blu-rays have 20% of the picture cropped out! Significant amount of the special is missing.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Btown Saiyan wrote:Caved and bought season's 8 & 9 this morning on amazon. Really been wanting to watch the Majin/Buu saga's lately. Good job amazon, you got me.
noooo you should of bought it from funimation! They have a sale for 18.99 each blu ray season set. I saw amazon raised the price for 9 back to 44 bucks!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:They have a sale for 18.99 each blu ray season set.
Honestly, $18 is about as much as these sets are worth in my opinion. $50 MSRP on a set of episodes featuring a "meh, let's just get it done" remastering process is asking too much. At least we get some decent-sounding Japanese audio from the new BRs.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:
Btown Saiyan wrote:Caved and bought season's 8 & 9 this morning on amazon. Really been wanting to watch the Majin/Buu saga's lately. Good job amazon, you got me.
noooo you should of bought it from funimation! They have a sale for 18.99 each blu ray season set. I saw amazon raised the price for 9 back to 44 bucks!
You do realize that he bought those Blu Rays 3 months ago. It wasn't recently :lol:
These Blu Ray Sets would be a lot more worth it if it went under the $200 range and I am really surprised the Blu Rays have been staying around the same price for so long on most major stores excluding Funimation.
Just waiting for the right time to get them, bet I have to wait a year and by that time Final Chapters will release...
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:40 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
He is wrong the blu-rays have 20% of the picture cropped out! Significant amount of the special is missing.

Audio... I said AUDIO.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:03 am

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
Saiyan_nation_ wrote:noooo you should of bought it from funimation! They have a sale for 18.99 each blu ray season set. I saw amazon raised the price for 9 back to 44 bucks!
You do realize that he bought those Blu Rays 3 months ago. It wasn't recently :lol:
These Blu Ray Sets would be a lot more worth it if it went under the $200 range and I am really surprised the Blu Rays have been staying around the same price for so long on most major stores excluding Funimation.
Just waiting for the right time to get them, bet I have to wait a year and by that time Final Chapters will release...
Lmao no didn't realize it actually. Well people now ya know, bought the last two seasons from funi to complete my blu ray set hell of a deal.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:28 am

So, anyone remember that survey that asked whether the fans preferred 16:9 or 4:3?

Turns out, the fans voted 4:3, but FUNimation ignored it anyway, as Lance Heiskell confirmed on his Twitter last night:
Lance Heiskell wrote:Majority of surveys voted 4:3. Then it was ignored internally. Past sales of 16:9 sold better than 4:3.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:04 am

Metalwario64 wrote:So, anyone remember that survey that asked whether the fans preferred 16:9 or 4:3?

Turns out, the fans voted 4:3, but FUNimation ignored it anyway, as Lance Heiskell confirmed on his Twitter last night:
Lance Heiskell wrote:Majority of surveys voted 4:3. Then it was ignored internally. Past sales of 16:9 sold better than 4:3.
Astonishing. I honestly don't think the AR would have mattered at all, it's all about the price I think these would have sold just aswell in 4x3. I also read somewhere that 16x9 is easier to do than 4x3 since they have to encode the black bars manually or something like that if that is true then I guess that might another reason they went with 16x9.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:13 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:So, anyone remember that survey that asked whether the fans preferred 16:9 or 4:3?

Wow. Now I'm glad I didn't purchase any of these past Season One.

Sorry, guys. I love FUNimation, but I won't support another BR of original DBZ TV unless it's 4:3. (Kai and the new movies are of course, the exception; not being the original TV series.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Are you kidding me!?

FUNimation, I've always supported you and the franchise, but there is no way I can support bollocks like this. This is Executive Meddling at its worst.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Wow so it turns out funimation did not listen to the fans. They just cared about the sales and how much money they were making off the orange bricks and used that as a factor to crop BDs into 16:9. I voted for 4:3 on that survey but I don't mind the cropping they did on the BDs.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:26 pm

BTW who is Lance Heiskell? Does he work for funimation?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:44 pm

He was FUNimation's marketing director from 2002-2011 according to ANN.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash