Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by rereboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Q-TEC remastered Kai, and they get tons of flack.

I often see complaints of Kai's remastering due to noise reduction, but it did a hell of a better job at it than FUNi's new Blu-ray remastering. For what it's worth, Kai's remastering has fantastic dark detail compared to all of FUNimation's remasterings having crushed dark levels.
I rather have that left side. It has less dark detail but it looks much better than Kai., which looks like some sort of water painting.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:39 pm

the thing that gets me is the so called hardcore fans are happy with this blinding crap.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 pm

rereboy wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Image
I rather have that left side. It has less dark detail but it looks much better than Kai., which looks like some sort of water painting.
Backgrounds actually are water paintings, though.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: Finally someone that owns it actually reviewed it, aside from the Blu-ray.com user. Thanks, Sumpter360!
What is your fetish with this release?
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote: Finally someone that owns it actually reviewed it, aside from the Blu-ray.com user. Thanks, Sumpter360!
Seriously dude just back off, people like this release and it's none of your business what their preferences are.

You don't like it, that's fine but forcing it upon others isn't.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Seriously dude just back off, people like this release and it's none of your business what their preferences are.
Yet you make it pretty clear how so-called "crappy" Kai looks
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Yet you make it pretty clear how so-called "crappy" Kai looks
What does that have anything to do with people's preferences?

The fact that Kai wasn't properly remastered in HD compared to FUNimation's Level BDs has been proved.

Still, Dragon Ball Kai for Parts 1-4 was a superb experience with the original score, and for these sets the PQ was actually very good in HD.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

kei17 wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Image
Backgrounds actually are water paintings, though.
I believe you, but I meant that "washed" look.

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:
For those that have a Blu-ray Player on your PC and own this would it be possible to know how many gigabytes disc 1 has?
I think it was about 46 GB for 10 episodes. (After my Handbrake re-encode, it came down to 16 GB)

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Shit kid who pissed in your cereal this morning?
One World. 🌐 🕊

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 pm

supersaiyan3 wrote:I think it was about 46 GB for 10 episodes. (After my Handbrake re-encode, it came down to 16 GB)
46GB? So that's around 180GB just for Season 1's 4 discs if backed up to the HDD.

Dragon Ball Kai's Japanese Blu-rays in total are 689GB, of course, it doesn't include the yet to be released Majin Buu arc. Although 1TB HDD seem big they're actually quite small considering how big archiving Blu-rays and games take up.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:26 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The fact that Kai wasn't properly remastered in HD compared to FUNimation's Level BDs has been proved.
When and by whom? You keep trying to make your personal opinion into a fact without any logical explanations and showing real evidence.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The fact that Kai wasn't properly remastered in HD compared to FUNimation's Level BDs has been proved.
How can this comparison even be considered? The two remasters had completely different goals. The purpose of the Kai remaster was to update and modernize the show for today's broadcast standards and give it a new look, because Kai was a new show. The purpose of the Level remaster was to update the visuals of the original series as much as possible without altering the footage drastically.

Kai's remaster aimed to alter the footage in a way that makes sense for a new show, the Level sets aimed to retain the look of the original series.

Regardless of your personal preference, you can't directly compare two completely different remasters with completely different goals and decide which one was "proper."
Last edited by Dalesy on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:26 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:Shit kid who pissed in your cereal this morning?
That is the worst piece of writing that I've ever seen put on this forum. :lol:
Last edited by Black_Anime_Fan on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Hmmm. Wonder if it's possible for one to edit these new Blu Ray's and attempt to add the Ocean Dub audio.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Can't people in this thread just accept different opinions and be respectful to each other?

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hmmm. Wonder if it's possible for one to edit these new Blu Ray's and attempt to add the Ocean Dub audio.
We've got DBox and Ocean Dub mixups so why not these? :P

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 pm

kei17 wrote:
When and by whom? You keep trying to make your personal opinion into a fact without any logical explanations and showing real evidence.
I'd imagine he's referring to the fact that Kai, even in HD, isn't very sharp. To me, the point of owning a show or movie on Blu-ray is the increase in visual fidelity. While Kai succeeded in restoring "original" color to it's footage, it did so with very soft detail; hardly HD looking, for most people's preferences.

So in my opinion, Kai may be superior to other releases in terms of color, but looking at crisp, high definition details, it pales in comparison to most other releases, including the Level sets and the new Blu-ray Season set.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:40 pm

sumpter360 wrote:I'd imagine he's referring to the fact that Kai, even in HD, isn't very sharp. To me, the point of owning a show or movie on Blu-ray is the increase in visual fidelity. While Kai succeeded in restoring "original" color to it's footage, it did so with very soft detail; hardly HD looking, for most people's preferences.

So in my opinion, Kai may be superior to other releases in terms of color, but looking at crisp, high definition details, it pales in comparison to most other releases, including the Level sets and the new Blu-ray Season set.
The Dragon Boxes also didn't look very sharp, but probably because I've been used to the Level-set crispiness for too long, even the Orange Bricks look managed to look somewhat sharp as well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hmmm. Wonder if it's possible for one to edit these new Blu Ray's and attempt to add the Ocean Dub audio.
We've got DBox and Ocean Dub mixups so why not these? :P
True, but them YouTube videos aren't exactly full length. I may just try it for fun.