Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by Kuwabara » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:DBZ never had a huge mainstream impact in 90's American culture like other kids shows did like Power Rangers or Pokemon.
I don't know why you keep saying things like this. :crazy:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:He clearly was aware of it before owning this but probably decided not to and yet you go your way out to insult him just due to the dude not comparing it to the OBs. You guys are very disrespectful to say the least.
Uh... How did I insult anyone? :?

Also, why are you being so defensive over every single comment?
over9000 wrote:I'm so gone MOST of you are Arrogant and Opionated assholes.
Who are these "Arrogant" and "Opionated" you speak of? Are they your relatives?

:lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:DBZ never had a huge mainstream impact in 90's American culture like other kids shows did like Power Rangers or Pokemon.
I don't know why you keep saying things like this. :crazy:
If you look at stuff like TMNT, Pokemon, Power Rangers and Transformers. They were everywhere during the time when they came out. Both Power Rangers and Pokemon had a lot of mainstream attention when they came out. DBZ was very popular, but I remember shows like Pokemon and MMPR were more popular.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 pm

I honestly don't know if I'd say DBZ ever did get quite as big as TMNT or Pokemon as a "fad" or anything, no...but it did manage to carve out at least two different Burger King campaigns from what I recall, and that's no small thing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fennekin
Not Banned

Post by Fennekin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 pm

From what I have seen, you are the only arrogant asshole here. So it's probably best you do go before you get an unavoidable ban.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 am

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:
Roland_ELoG wrote:The two potential bright spots are the possibility of better widescreen framing, and the possibility the grain removal won't annihilate facial detail.

But they're just potential bright spots, since the trailer didn't showcase any of that stuff.
Who knows, maybe the film itself this time is actually cleaner and more free of tape splicing, marks, and all of the other damages seen in the DVD season sets. That was my biggest problem with the Orange Bricks, it not only had completely center cropped footage, DVNR, bad and oversaturated colors, blinding brights, and badly mixed Japanese music with the English dialogue, but they didn't clean or restore the film before changing it. It still had dirt, hairs, scratches, everything. I'm not defending this new release or anything, but if I have anything good thing to say about this release, it's that it won't be quite as bad as the Orange Brick release, and that as the releases go by they'll get better overtime (OB Seasons 6-9 didn't look as bad as OB Seasons 1-5 did), you get more footage than the OBs (although it's still cropped), AND you won't get shit like this:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Now that people have the set, will anyone post the above nappa shot?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:41 am

Fennekin wrote:
From what I have seen, you are the only arrogant asshole here. So it's probably best you do go before you get an unavoidable ban.
VegettoEX already said to stop, and I'll reiterate (for those who seem unwilling to drop the subject.)
You all agreed to the rules, you all need to start following them.

Doesn't matter who started it, stop, or else punishments will start getting handed out.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:22 am

God look at those shots.. :sick: Good lord! Also Daimo-Rukiri I haven't had anyone tell me that those problems plague the new release. :? I'm hoping they don't.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:31 am

KingofWisdom wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:Then why should it air again? At this point, most people know whether they like the series or not. It's been easy enough to find. Anyone who wants to see it should buy the discs.
Well, why should Fooly Cooly air again? Why should Naruto air again? Why should Yugioh and Pokemon air again? Anyone who wants to see them should buy those discs too right?
None of those shows have been repeated on TV to the extent that DBZ has.
I've lost count of how many times FLCL has aired on Adult Swim/Toonami. Same with Cowboy Bebop, and Inuyasha.

That's just what re-runs are about, man. If people enjoy it and it brings in good ratings, that's reason enough to justify it airing. That's why shows like "Seinfeld", "The Flinstones", "Andy Griffith Show", "Star Trek", and other things that ended years ago are still in re-runs and showing on air.

On the other hand, I do agree that people should buy official releases as opposed to just watching it on TV...but I doubt putting the show back on air would hurt sales.
jjgp1112 wrote:Seinfeld is also aired cropped in widescreen on TBS HD and the like.

Seinfeld will always be perfect, though. Cropped or otherwise. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:40 am

I'd rather see Kai on Toonami than Z. At least then people unfamiliar with the series might get a decent first impression (when it comes to voice acting, anyway).
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:59 am

Big Momma wrote:Seinfeld will always be perfect, though. Cropped or otherwise. :P
I'm not going to argue with this statement as Seinfeld is great... but it does suffer from the same picture loss as the widescreen DBZ.

Some other forums produced a screenshot similar to what we do, but it does look like selective cropping (proper selective cropping) ---

It looks like they cut the bulk of the bottom off in the above scene.

I haven't seen much of the new release compared to the Orange Bricks to see if cropping is really better. Also, because of the artistic flair of DBZ, some scenes are realistically going to be impossible to crop - which is one of the reasons I don't like cropping on DBZ.

Seinfeld is all about the comedy. But for DBZ, there is some aspect of the artwork that appeals to many of us, which is one of many reasons we don't care for the new widescreen edition of the show.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:My opinion on the aspect ratio is this:

DB/Z/GT Episodes & TV Specials - 4:3
DBKai & DB/Z Movies - 16:9
Kai is a failed rushed cash-cow of Dragon Ball Z but somehow that's acceptable in 16x9 AR but the actual DBZ isn't? What?
kei17 wrote:I think that's because Kai is a refreshed show which was selectively cropped by the company that produced the original show. Also, they bothered to add extra image to the shots that cannot be properly cropped. It's very different than something automatically center-cropped by a foreign distributor which has nothing to do with the original production.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Kai isn't purporting itself as being the original show.
What they said. DBZ originally aired in 4:3 in the 90s, while DBKai aired in 16:9, and was remodeled to be like a new series (grain removal, some redrawn scenes, re-dub, new music, and new sound effects).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:00 pm

I know it would never happen in a million years but imagine if toonami aired ocean kai as a sorta nostalgia trip almost.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Valentine wrote:I know it would never happen in a million years but imagine if toonami aired ocean kai as a sorta nostalgia trip almost.
I'd die. :P :D That would be amazing! And I would definitely, I don't know many dips I've made but I'd buy it. :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I'd rather see Kai on Toonami than Z. At least then people unfamiliar with the series might get a decent first impression (when it comes to voice acting, anyway).
This.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:44 pm

I know a lot of people want to see Kai on Toonami, but I think you guys are looking at it with too much nostalgia. Kai going on Toonami probably wouldn't be the best thing for the series because Toonami's time slot isn't that good anymore. How many kids who never knew about the show would really see it? Toonami, now, seems like it's mostly older viewers. It would be better if Kai got on Cartoon network during a good time slot, so more kids could see it. A lot of kids have bed times. If Toonami had its current time slot back when I was little, I never would have seen it.
Neo died for our smiths.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:55 pm

I think Kai on Toonami would do fine. Yeah the younger fans right now won't be able to watch it, but maybe wait in a few years when Nick Toons and CW loses the rights to the show. Having Kai on Toonami would be better then normal DBZ since Kai is more recent and Toonami tends to go after shows that are more new. Also I think kids that around the age of 8 - 13 should be able to stay up late to watch Kai. When I work at a Middle School back in 2008 for work study, I see a lot kids in the 6th and 7th grade that watched Naruto and Bleach. Also during the late 90's, I used to stay up late to watch Space Ghost Coast to Coast on CN when I was like 7 or 8.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:19 pm

My pipe dream for DB on TV these days would be for Kai's Majin Boo arc to air edited or whatever for kids on Nicktoons on Saturday mornings, and then the uncut version airs Saturday night on Toonami.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Valentine wrote:I know it would never happen in a million years but imagine if toonami aired ocean kai as a sorta nostalgia trip almost.
It'd have to be made, first. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm totally opposed to cropping and the disastrous remaster for artistic reasons, but part of me is somewhat happy that they're still trying to make it appealing to the ignorant general public and evergreen. It doesn't necessarily justify this terrible release, though.