Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by qjz123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Dalesy wrote: Just drummed up a little side by side comparison in Photoshop. It's obvious that the frame has been shifted. There is a little extra space on the sides, but it would in no way result in a shift like this.
http://gyazo.com/15d033fd00a36665e6fb141390625c35.png
Thank you that proves my point that it isn't just a center crop.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dalesy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:51 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Dalesy wrote: Just drummed up a little side by side comparison in Photoshop. It's obvious that the frame has been shifted. There is a little extra space on the sides, but it would in no way result in a shift like this.
http://gyazo.com/15d033fd00a36665e6fb141390625c35.png
Thank you that proves my point that it isn't just a center crop.
That's not to say that it's selective cropping, however. It may have just been that they shifted the frame for the rescan. We would need to compare more frames to see if this is actually selective cropping.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Cropping aside, I actually think Seasons 8 and 9 look better than the corresponding Dragon box episodes.
I feel the same way. I still really like the colors on those sets. The Dragon Boxes' colors were all over the place in those episodes, and the inside Boo episodes were ridiculously bright, while the Kid Boo episodes had a very strong green tint.
That's one thing I didn't like about the Dragon Boxes, the Gohan shot here actually looks pretty awesome minus missing gran and blurred backgrounds..
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:That's one thing I didn't like about the Dragon Boxes, the Gohan shot here actually looks pretty awesome minus missing gran and blurred backgrounds..
Those backgrounds look rather more blasphemized than blurred.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm

ect5150 wrote:Here is the shot compared to the Level Set:

Click to enlarge--
ImageImage

Someone feel free to make a downscaled version of each and "crop" the Level Set so we can see what that would look like 8)

EDIT: Did my best here--

Click to enlarge--

I might not have grabbed the exact same frame as there are rocks flying the background.

Some of you might like this... it's a nice website for screenshot comparisons.
Dear Kami the difference is like night and day.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Does anybody have that same Nappa shot from Kai?
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:58 am

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:Does anybody have that same Nappa shot from Kai?
Yep...
(Click on image for full size)

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 am

Man you gotta love Kai.
One World. 🌐 🕊

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:54 am

Kai is ok for the compression of the story, but it's way softer than I like. Level sets still have the win. I just like the grain.. helps make it feel like film.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:18 am

From the screenshots, my impression seems to be that there's are not as good as I would have hoped, but a lot better than I expected.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:58 am

sumpter360 wrote:I know most of the Kanzenshuu users feel like these Season sets are too "clean," as there's literally no grain remaining in the picture due to FUNimation's remastering. But if done right, no grain doesn't inherently mean no detail. Look at animation cels. They are basically the original source, before anything is even put onto film.

The Orange Bricks were a failed attempt at cleaning the footage to look like cel-quality, modern footage. It was awful and we all know it. This Blu-ray "Season" release, on the other hand, is, for the most part, gorgeous, if you can get past the widescreen aspect ratio and lack of grain. This type of remastering is probably the closest we'll ever get to a cel re-scan of the show.

I can say this (as my opinion, obviously) as I own the set and have watched the first 15 episodes. Shots that have diverse color palettes look fantastic and characters and important objects are usually well defined and sharp; definitely worthy of high definition Blu-ray.

My biggest beef(s) with the remastering happens when colors of certain brightness' are too close to each other. For example, when black is next to dark blue or dark green. Occurring particularly during nighttime scenes, the darker of the dark colors sometimes results in details not being visible. This was worst during some of Gohan's wilderness survival episodes. Similarly (though far less often) some of the brightest colors, if set next to white, looks far too white. Fortunately, this seemed most apparent during Kame House scenes of the first few episodes and hasn't been noticeable since.

To be honest, I'm okay with the set's only negatives. They are issues, but they're ones that could easily be fixed in future sets, since it'd only require a simple adjusting of the contrast setting (or saturation? I don't know.)

Anyway, I just think people are complaining a whole lot when they haven't seen the footage in motion (outside of YouTube videos, which truly does not do the footage justice) which I understand is their opinion, but it's just difficult to see their perspective when most haven't given it any sort of a chance. In truth, I was like them before seeing the first screenshots. I was 100% prepared to hate this release, but upon seeing the vast improvement over the Orange Bricks, I've completely changed sides. I still see the negatives that exist (yes, I acknowledge that it's not a perfect release ((there's no such thing))), but the positives FAR outweight them in my opinion.
Finally someone that owns it actually reviewed it, aside from the Blu-ray.com user. Thanks, Sumpter360!
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:Yep...
(Click on image for full size)
This looks so blurry and bland, it reminds me, Disney's Pinocchio HD remaster looks far better than this so-called "HD remaster" that Toei Animation did for Dragon Ball Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:26 am

Wait, Do people have this already? I remember pre-ordering it but never received it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:41 am

LeprikanGT wrote:Wait, Do people have this already? I remember pre-ordering it but never received it.
Yeah some people have it already.

Here's an unboxing video, well, two if you want:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkLAAliCoQ
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt62ozeT9xk

For those that have a Blu-ray Player on your PC and own this would it be possible to know how many gigabytes disc 1 has?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 am

Oh man I forgot how much I loved the hard look of the level sets! JDJISNFILSNIFU
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 am

Is the Japanese audio as muffled as in the Dragonboxes Z?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:25 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:This looks so blurry and bland, it reminds me, Disney's Pinocchio HD remaster looks far better than this so-called "HD remaster" that Toei Animation did for Dragon Ball Kai.
:|

You're comparing a low budget television show on 16mm film to a huge budget Disney film?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:35 am

Metalwario64 wrote: :|

You're comparing a low budget television show on 16mm film to a huge budget Disney film?
And yet FUNimation's DBZ Levels look better than Toei Animation's Kai. I wonder why people praise Toei Animation for doing a sucky job.

FUNimation's DBZ Levels:
Toei Animation's Kai:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am

Q-TEC remastered Kai, and they get tons of flack.

I often see complaints of Kai's remastering due to noise reduction, but it did a hell of a better job at it than FUNi's new Blu-ray remastering. For what it's worth, Kai's remastering has fantastic dark detail compared to all of FUNimation's remasterings having crushed dark levels.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:This looks so blurry and bland, it reminds me, Disney's Pinocchio HD remaster looks far better than this so-called "HD remaster" that Toei Animation did for Dragon Ball Kai.
:|

Yeah, there is absolutely NO point in comparing them. In addition, if you compare DBZ with Disney's Pinocchio, this release IS what's far inferior to Pinocchio.

dbboxkaifan wrote:And yet FUNimation's DBZ Levels look better than Toei Animation's Kai. I wonder why people praise Toei Animation for doing a sucky job.
We are talking about the stuff this time and that has nothing to do with it. I wonder why you keep bashing Kai in spite of your username in defense of the Season blu-rays. There's very little point in it. Kai was meant to be a new show and it's not the old original show which this release features.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Neither do the Spanish Dragon Boxes even though they're called "Dragon Box".
They do contain them, as extras, in DBZ. In DB and DBGT; they're included.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts