Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by qjz123 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:24 pm

supersaiyan3 wrote: Sure. But does anybody happen to know what episode the Nappa shot is from? It's hard to tell from the context so it'd take me forever to find it
It's from episode 24 at about the 11:10 mark.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Valentine

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/20

Post by Valentine » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I can hold out hope ocean kai is made but I doubt it. Anyway back on track I'm going to be positive and hope Toei does a proper bluray remaster for next years anniversary. It would be a good reason for them to bother too and this time unlike the Dragon Boxes that never came out in Australia, I will pre order each one so I don't miss out.

supersaiyan3
Not-So-Newbie

Post by supersaiyan3 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 pm

ImageImage

The other frames in that shot look the same, no missing lines.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 pm

The large lines really make it look awful... :cry:
Oh and the horrid bleached skin.. yea not gonna lie but some look actually nice and others (like this) look like shit :problem:

For those that have seen it in motion, do you think this was a new transfer or used the Levels existing transfer and went from that?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:05 am

They could look worst. At least Shout! don't own the rights to Dragon Ball :lol: .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:26 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:They could look worst. At least Shout! don't own the rights to Dragon Ball :lol: .
Shout's releases are generally higher quality than anything FUNi puts out. Whenever there's something wrong with the footage it's usually whoever gave them whichever master they were using, not from their own process unlike FUNimation.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 am

supersaiyan3 wrote:The other frames in that shot look the same, no missing lines.
Anyone up for ripping a full HD shot form the Levels set for comparison?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:37 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:They could look worst. At least Shout! don't own the rights to Dragon Ball :lol: .
Shout's releases are generally higher quality than anything FUNi puts out. Whenever there's something wrong with the footage it's usually whoever gave them whichever master they were using, not from their own process unlike FUNimation.
Their video quality for Ultra Seven and Johhny Sokko look like shit. I remember hearing that their Bruce Lee boxset was just DVD up scales. Also their subbing for Ultra Q and the Gamera DVD sets were not very good as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Their video quality for Ultra Seven and Johhny Sokko look like shit. I remember hearing that their Bruce Lee boxset was just DVD up scales.
Yeah, and none of that was their fault. It was all due to masters provided from rights holders, unlike FUNimation where they make their own masters look even worse.

The only thing Shout should get gripe for is how they responded to the Bruce Lee fiasco. While it was Fortune Star's fault for not giving them correct masters, the way they stuck to the blatantly false claims was all on their part and certainly affected some people's trust with them (even if it is smart, business wise).
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:30 am

Well that's a relief supersaiyan3. I'm not gonna say this set is looking better and better! But I will say it's looking like it's going to be an overall better release than the Orange Bricks. IMO

Edit - Wanted to add a bit more. Even though both releases are cropped 16x9 and both have over-saturated colors, I think the new Blu-ray sets(From what I've seen) Looks better. and if it doesn't have the problems where lines of animation are getting deleted then I'm sold on it.
Last edited by samuraix123 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 am

This looks like something that I'll watch on TV for a great Blue Ray experience. Something that I want a series that is in my top 30 to be watched in.
This looks more cartoony and black lines to noticeable. Something I'll make amvs with since I like clips with colors. This quality seems great for trailers, editing(Amvs ect), and Posters. While the other picture is good for actually watching it.

Both have pros and cons.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
This looks like something that I'll watch on TV for a great Blue Ray experience. Something that I want a series that is in my top 30 to be watched in.
This looks more cartoony and black lines to noticeable. Something I'll make amvs with since I like clips with colors. This quality seems great for trailers, editing(Amvs ect), and Posters. While the other picture is good for actually watching it.

Both have pros and cons.
But there's no denying that this http://i.imgur.com/lneFsuD.png looks a thousand times better than this http://i.imgur.com/oipcLCG.png.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 am

qjz123 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:

Both have pros and cons.
But there's no denying that this http://i.imgur.com/lneFsuD.png looks a thousand times better than this http://i.imgur.com/oipcLCG.png.
It's an unwritten Amv editor code is that when you edited DBZ. You don't edit Orange Bricks when TO MUCH detail is lost. Most find it to ugly to edited or if you like me and don't care that much find the lack of detail just to much.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:22 am

Oh God that Orange Brick shot is so nauseating to look at, thank God those sets are being replaced by these superior sets. Alas, they are inferior to the Level Sets, but superior to those God awful orange bricks of shame.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 am

PhoenixEX wrote:Alas, they are inferior to the Level Sets, but superior to those God awful orange bricks of shame.
Well... The first two at least.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:03 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:My opinion on the aspect ratio is this:

DB/Z/GT Episodes & TV Specials - 4:3
DBKai & DB/Z Movies - 16:9
Kai is a failed rushed cash-cow of Dragon Ball Z but somehow that's acceptable in 16x9 AR but the actual DBZ isn't? What?
I know this is an old post and I'm basically a lurker at this point, but I see this argument come up often and I just have to say something.

The two circumstances couldn't be more different. Let me COUNT The reasons 16:9 was "Acceptable" in Kai:

1: Kai is Advertised as Changed. The word "Kai" means "Refreshed". It's almost like they called it "Dragon Ball Z: We Changed Stuff Edition". There was never any attempt to pass this off as a re-release of the original material as aired.
2: The cropping wasn't Toei's Idea, their intended version of Kai was in 4:3. They had to crop it because of Japanese TV Standards REQUIRING it.
3; Toei went back to the original masters to produce Kai and selectively re-framed every scene. Not only that, but there were instances in which Toei did NOT crop the show to produce the 16:9 AR, but instead redrew the frame. FUNimation's is a straight crop down the middle. No attempt to re-frame the shots to keep from losing important material was made.
4: In both Japan and America, home video releases exist of Kai in it's originally intended 4:3 AR. In Japan, all Blu-rays are 4:3, while in America, both DVD and Blu are both 4:3
5: The Cropped version of Kai did not supplant all other versions of DBZ. In Japan, you can still purchase 4:3 Dragon Ball Z on the Single DVDs. They have remained in-print and readily available. With the Dragon Boxes out of print, there is currently no complete, easily obtainable 4:3 release of Dragon Ball Z in the United States

As for the movies, while it is true they were animated in 4:3, there is some debate as to the "intended" aspect ratio. If you watch the 4:3 versions of the movies, you can, in fact, find plenty of moments where the animators flat out didn't finish drawing some of the art on the top and bottom because they knew it was going to be cropped. Couple this with the fact that Toei, the people who originally created it, have only ever really released the movies on Home Video in 16:9, you have a decent case for that being the "intended" AR.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:11 am

I wonder if the new Blu Ray set has previews?

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 am

DemonRin wrote:FUNimation's is a straight crop down the middle. No attempt to re-frame the shots to keep from losing important material was made.
That's not true I don't have a copy of the release yet but from this screenshot from bluray.com the image has clearly been reframed, its been moved down to avoid cutting off Gohan's arm.
Season 1 blu ray
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/9305/j2ye.jpg
Orange bricks
http://imageshack.us/a/img189/6875/hgmr.png
Kendamu wrote:

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:10 am

Well, you may or may not like the Blu-Rays, but one thing is certain: the remaster is 1000x better than the Orange Bricks.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:22 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Well, you may or may not like the Blu-Rays, but one thing is certain: the remaster is 1000x better than the Orange Bricks.
I'm getting deja vu...
Metalwario64 wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:Alas, they are inferior to the Level Sets, but superior to those God awful orange bricks of shame.
Well... The first two at least.
Definitely doesn't compare to seasons 6 and up:

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash