Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

qjz123
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by qjz123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

kei17 wrote:Gosh, those shots. Someone should create a PAST/FUTURE parody thread.
Past Dragon ball z level 1.2
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/1111/klzb.png
Future
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/949/g0r1.jpg
Past Dragon ball z level 1.2
http://imageshack.us/a/img607/263/l4l8.png
Future
http://imageshack.us/a/img716/5636/q7ov.jpg
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Blu-Ray has become the main market for home video and DVD will die out in the next few years like VHS did after the early 2000's.
That's just not true, though. Not even by the biggest stretch of the imagination. Don't be deceived by how much studios are pushing the format. DVD is still completely dominating over blu-ray in sales (even just this year alone). The vast majority of people are perfectly content with standard definition. If DVD does go away within the next few years, then blu-ray will likely go with it.

The orange bricks aren't going anywhere. Even with these blu-rays, the DVD season sets are still going to be the go-to DBZ release for most consumers until FUNi discontinues them and comes up with a new wave of DVD releases. We have to keep in mind that blu-ray is still a very niche thing. Even if these blu-rays are successful, they're not going to be "game-changing" in the way some might think.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 pm

The footage... looks different in this higher quality trailer. It looks less vectorized and more noise reduction overdose and contrast blasting.
kei17 wrote:Gosh, those shots. Someone should create a PAST/FUTURE parody thread.
Here's a new season set image that I made before the season sets footage was revealed, and it's nearly identical (all I did was abuse noise reduction filters and increased the contrast):

AjayLikesGaming made this:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

I guess it does look less bad. Not that that's saying much.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:31 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I guess it does look less bad. Not that that's saying much.
Yeah, the backgrounds are still wrecked.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
I actually think the backgrounds look nice in the Blu-Rays. Then again, if someone were willing to provide a comparison between the DBox and Blu-Ray versions of the backgrounds, I'd probably be proven wrong.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Weejus wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
I actually think the backgrounds look nice in the Blu-Rays. Then again, if someone were willing to provide a comparison between the DBox and Blu-Ray versions of the backgrounds, I'd probably be proven wrong.
Here's a comparison with the first orange brick I made a while ago. The new Blu-rays are sharper, but lots of background details are smudged and "layered" looking, ruining any of the artists' attempt at "depth".

You can especially tell the detail loss on the Saibaimen shot (clouds), and the final Oozaru Gohan shot(the rock on the side).

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm

As expected, I stand corrected. Thank you for the comparison.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:55 pm

I personally find the cover art way too crowded. It reminds me of the images you'd find on one of the calenders, except these aren't drawn that well.

I'm guessing Madman will be snatching these up for release down-under at some point later next year; still choosing to ignore a certain Curse of the Blood Rubies which they told me they'd release if there was anything significantly different about it (the 2010 release)...uh, yeah. New dub, anyone?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 pm

These, include the BF Score, right? As, the description indicates 3 audio tracks. Some dude on FB is saying they don't and I'm hella confused :eh:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:So I hear FUNimation has asked the Kanzenshuu about the Blu-rays? I want to know why the DBZ home videos are always so bare bones. There are fans who like to know how these shows got made. I know money is likely the reason why they are bare bones, but I like to have commentaries and more behind the scenes features. I loved the extras in the first DBZ Ultimate Uncut volume and I wanted to see more of those.
The press release specifically states:
FUNimation wrote:Included in the Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Season Sets will be a nine-part extra features special that spans the entirety of the releases. Each Season Set will include brand new cast interviews, retrospectives, and fan submissions.
Oh cool, I didn't see that part. I would like to see Funimation just use the special features from the Japanese DVD's and subtitle them. I mean Media Blasters was able to do that with movies from Toho by subbing the R2 commentary tracks. I would like to hear stuff from the real people who make the show in Japan. You can't always find stuff online since somethings don't always get fully translated.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm just curious how Funimation is going to handle Menu screen. I'm sure there has to be a marathon mode as well right? but I just don't see them handling the menu screen like the level sets.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:These, include the BF Score, right? As, the description indicates 3 audio tracks. Some dude on FB is saying they don't and I'm hella confused :eh:
From RightStuf
"Spoken Languages: English (U.S. English broadcast version, English dialogue with Japanese music), Japanese, English subtitles."
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:These, include the BF Score, right? As, the description indicates 3 audio tracks. Some dude on FB is saying they don't and I'm hella confused :eh:
From RightStuf
"Spoken Languages: English (U.S. English broadcast version, English dialogue with Japanese music), Japanese, English subtitles."
Right ok. Thanks!

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:31 pm

MagicBox wrote:We have to keep in mind that blu-ray is still a very niche thing. Even if these blu-rays are successful, they're not going to be "game-changing" in the way some might think.
While not wrong, you've slightly overblown it. Last I checked it's roughly 2/3 DVD and 1/3 Blu-ray (which is DVD clearly selling more, but Blu-ray is past the point of being 'niche', it just isn't as large, and of course, being a more expensive product, that isn't suprising.) There is also the matter that DVD sales are clearly going down year over year, while Blu-ray is going up (The last numbers I saw were for October, where Blu-ray was up roughly 8%, and DVD was down more than 10% comparing the same month both years.) Obviously these releases aren't going to be 'game changing', because anime releases in general aren't, even the top selling ones, nor were they ever really to be honest (no doubt anime has had some good sellers, but minus a few outliers like Ghibli content, or things like that, anime has never hit the level that most fans think it was.) The only measure of 'game changing' for a release like this is if it adds a ton to Funi's numbers, which it may very well do (I expect it's likely that it will to be honest.)

It's sort of like how people who like various shows keep pointing to TNG as the measure of restoration quality a company should aim for (declaring TNG to be a game changer) when it really isn't. TNG is a unique show, with a high fanbase, and a decent number of casual fans who might pick up a season when it gets cheap enough (and no doubt will be sold to Netflix, or newly sold to syndication once it's done.) Now that TNG has gotten such a treatment, people keep expecting tons of other shows to get it, when realistically, very few will be.

The DBZ BD season sets will only be measured as game changing by adding to Funi's bottom line, or doing poorly enough that it makes retailers question if DBZ is worth the hassle outside the orange bricks.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well... can't argue with you there, but isn't that like replacing a dog turd with a cat turd... in HD?
That's true, but at the same time, we're throwing away a turd for a polished turd! :lol:
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:56 pm

A bright green one, I presume.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:59 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:A bright green one, I presume.
A bright, green, shiny looking turd indeed.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Is there any way to watch the trailer in the UK? FUNimation just hates us.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:You want to sell crap? Put it into "nice" box.

Lol. Call me a sucker for packaging, but I hold a lot of appreciation into packaging aesthetics. This is the best artwork for a complete series release of the DragonBall Z property FUNi since the KAI presentations, and I see no shame in purchasing for that ideal alone. How is it different from purchasing poster art? Y'know, contribute to the residuals of the artist and that sorta thing?

As far as the content goes, I am not new to the scene, it is more or less the same sub-par effort they invested into the Orange Bricks. I am fully aware of what I'd be paying for. At the very least we will be receiving some interesting extras this time around including cast interviews, which is a thumbs up in my books.