Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:He was FUNimation's marketing director from 2002-2011 according to ANN.
Oh ok. But is he a reliable source because he left funimation before they released these BDs.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:53 am

And Funimation continues to be a bastard of a company! This is no different than replacement music and dub lines. They do it cause in their minds because Americans prefer it. Yeah, Chala and Japanese music is doing just fine on DBZ and hasn't affected sales or stopping people from becoming new fans. It's the same bull.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:18 am

Our opinion matters little! Who'd have thought it? That reasoning is bs though. The reason the Blu-ray sets sell so well (and the reason I myself bought them) is because they're cheap as chips.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:24 am

This new revelation has made me lose a pretty damn good amount of respect for Funimation, not only for their blatant disrespect of fans wishes but also from some of the most idiotic reasoning that has come out of a company such as theirs.

"Past sales of 16:9 sold better than 4:3"? Bullshit. The reason the Orange Bricks sold so well back in the past were because they were the cheapest option at obtaining DBZ in the west at the time.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Weedity

Post by Weedity » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:00 am

Ehh I hardly ever notice the cropping at all, and the quality looks amazing on my television. I bought a Dragon Box to see what the amazement was all about, was very disappointed.

I love the blu rays...guess I'm a minority :D

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:16 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:He was FUNimation's marketing director from 2002-2011 according to ANN.
Oh ok. But is he a reliable source because he left funimation before they released these BDs.
He left Funimation in May of this year.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:04 pm

Gonstead wrote:This new revelation has made me lose a pretty damn good amount of respect for Funimation, not only for their blatant disrespect of fans wishes but also from some of the most idiotic reasoning that has come out of a company such as theirs.

"Past sales of 16:9 sold better than 4:3"? Bullshit. The reason the Orange Bricks sold so well back in the past were because they were the cheapest option at obtaining DBZ in the west at the time.
Exactly! Before the bricks, it was damn near impossible to get the whole show legally. It was completely impossible to get it uncut since there was no complete release of DBZ uncut at all.

I bought the sets cause it was cheap and I could finally own the show in 2006.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:34 pm

When my dad first got an HD TV the cable guy told him that if stuff isn't in widescreen it's not in HD. There's a lot of confusion in the casual market about aspect ratios and the importance of showing things in their original aspect ratio and all that. Also I know a lot of people complain about the black bars on the sides of 4:3 stuff and that it doesn't fill their TV. Funimation did what they knew would probably net them the most money. The people who voted in that poll are pretty big fans, and not really the entire audience of these sets. Like this forum is probably a fraction compared to the random dude walking through Best Buy or Walmart that goes "Wow, I remember that show!" I'm not excusing what they did but as a business they did what they already knew had success. They just got out of a high cost 4:3 remastering that didn't do so hot, so they went to try to make their next shot as much like the bricks as they could. Hell, I bet they even saved some money from not having to deal with stuff like tape marks on the top and bottoms of the film. And apparently the 4:3 thing didn't matter too much because a bunch of people here bought it anyway.

TLDR Funi put us and themselves in a shitty situation but they did what they knew would make them a profit because that's how businesses do.
Also, just finish the level sets for God's sake.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Inform your audience. Don't cater and bow to ignorance.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:53 am

Weedity wrote:Ehh I hardly ever notice the cropping at all, and the quality looks amazing on my television. I bought a Dragon Box to see what the amazement was all about, was very disappointed.

I love the blu rays...guess I'm a minority :D
Maybe around here you are, but I think that most people either don't care or like the Blu-rays better.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:58 am

I don't know why anyone would think they had any obligation to listen to a poll that was aimed at fans, especially when we don't actually know what the actual internal goal of the poll was.

If finding this out has made you lose respect for Funimation, then I think you have a misunderstanding what all anime companies are around to do.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 pm

I would have liked to see them try package level 1.1 and 1.2 into a Level 1 set and see how those sold. Most of the complaints here was the price per episode with those sets.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:42 am

MarcFBR wrote:I don't know why anyone would think they had any obligation to listen to a poll that was aimed at fans, especially when we don't actually know what the actual internal goal of the poll was.

If finding this out has made you lose respect for Funimation, then I think you have a misunderstanding what all anime companies are around to do.
Your right in a way but we do have the likes of discotek media and other companies that will listen to the fans, it might be a few extra bucks but you will not be unsatisfied.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Discotek very rarely if at all has to do any video work themselves. They simply don't have the budget to create new masters - they buy the rights to the newest Japanese ones. Also note that they can't even afford dubs for any of their properties. Of course they're going to listen to the fans - you don't buy their shit, they go under. Big difference. DBZ has main market appeal that nothing Discotek licensed has.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:43 pm

For those who were wondering whether we would be getting the Seasons on Blu-ray over in the UK, here's your answer:

https://twitter.com/ReallyShitTweet/sta ... 6862908416

So if anybody is after this release your best bet is importing (which is still super cheap & they're region free sets anyway)

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:For those who were wondering whether we would be getting the Seasons on Blu-ray over in the UK, here's your answer:

So if anybody is after this release your best bet is importing (which is still super cheap & they're region free sets anyway)
I would think the OBs would get more negative reaction than the Blu Ray sets though...
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:18 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:For those who were wondering whether we would be getting the Seasons on Blu-ray over in the UK, here's your answer:

Looks like I'll be importing the Funimation Blu Rays so. Thankfully I'll still be able to support my local DB releases with the upcoming Kai sets.
TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:I would think the OBs would get more negative reaction than the Blu Ray sets though...
There are criticisms against the Blu Rays but not to the same extent as the Orange Bricks because they still have cropping but its handled better.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm glad this is selling good. I don't like the cropping but hopefully good sales pushes funimation to wise up and get the license for the dragon box GT and the movies and the original dragonball.

Apparently these sets are in some ways BETTER and in some ways worse then the Orange boxes. At least if the youtube comparisons are legitimate.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:50 pm

They may be slightly nicer on the eyes than the orange bricks, but I would still support the orange bricks over these, because at least those are an old release.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:24 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:I'm glad this is selling good. I don't like the cropping but hopefully good sales pushes funimation to wise up and get the license for the dragon box GT and the movies and the original dragonball.

Apparently these sets are in some ways BETTER and in some ways worse then the Orange boxes. At least if the youtube comparisons are legitimate.
If anything, good sales from this will have them crop DB and GT in the same matter, too.