Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Seems to me they were trying to say, "they just need to do what they did..."
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:23 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
sintzu wrote:What's wrong with Season 9's remastering ?
well the last post before you has a comparison you should check out,it shows there footage that even the VERY cropped orange bricks has,which is missing in the blu rays. They need to just od what they did with the level sets,even if they don't have the same remastering,just give me the same screen size,it was the best to me.
What doed od stand for? I can't figure out the meaning and i spend crazy hours reading here. I feel like i should know what od stands for lol.

For me it's a typo for do XD
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
sintzu wrote:What's wrong with Season 9's remastering ?
well the last post before you has a comparison you should check out,it shows there footage that even the VERY cropped orange bricks has,which is missing in the blu rays. They need to just od what they did with the level sets,even if they don't have the same remastering,just give me the same screen size,it was the best to me.
What doed od stand for? I can't figure out the meaning and i spend crazy hours reading here. I feel like i should know what od stands for lol.
I think he meant "do"? Like, they just need level sets but to a lesser extent with the scale of remastering

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:07 am

funrush wrote:When my dad first got an HD TV the cable guy told him that if stuff isn't in widescreen it's not in HD. There's a lot of confusion in the casual market about aspect ratios and the importance of showing things in their original aspect ratio and all that. Also I know a lot of people complain about the black bars on the sides of 4:3 stuff and that it doesn't fill their TV. Funimation did what they knew would probably net them the most money. The people who voted in that poll are pretty big fans, and not really the entire audience of these sets. Like this forum is probably a fraction compared to the random dude walking through Best Buy or Walmart that goes "Wow, I remember that show!" I'm not excusing what they did but as a business they did what they already knew had success. They just got out of a high cost 4:3 remastering that didn't do so hot, so they went to try to make their next shot as much like the bricks as they could. Hell, I bet they even saved some money from not having to deal with stuff like tape marks on the top and bottoms of the film. And apparently the 4:3 thing didn't matter too much because a bunch of people here bought it anyway.

TLDR Funi put us and themselves in a shitty situation but they did what they knew would make them a profit because that's how businesses do.
Also, just finish the level sets for God's sake.
Ton's of old content gets aired in it's proper aspect ratio so it can't be that unpopular. Granted, they sometimes do that idiotic blurring thing but they still don't crop or stretch it.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:56 am

Hey all does anybody have any problems with disk 2 on season 6? For on some episodes it freezes and then skips some scenes. For example, on episode 180 when Goku gives up to Cell it freezes for like a minute and then skips that scene until the end of the episode. I watched it on my PS3 and PS4 and the same thing occurs so I suspect that it is a faulty Blu Ray disk. I even checked the disk to see if there is any scratches on it but there wasn't.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:51 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Hey all does anybody have any problems with disk 2 on season 6? For on some episodes it freezes and then skips some scenes. For example, on episode 180 when Goku gives up to Cell it freezes for like a minute and then skips that scene until the end of the episode. I watched it on my PS3 and PS4 and the same thing occurs so I suspect that it is a faulty Blu Ray disk. I even checked the disk to see if there is any scratches on it but there wasn't.
Nope. no problems at all buddy. all of mine are fine.. :(
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:40 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:Hey all does anybody have any problems with disk 2 on season 6? For on some episodes it freezes and then skips some scenes. For example, on episode 180 when Goku gives up to Cell it freezes for like a minute and then skips that scene until the end of the episode. I watched it on my PS3 and PS4 and the same thing occurs so I suspect that it is a faulty Blu Ray disk. I even checked the disk to see if there is any scratches on it but there wasn't.
Nope. no problems at all buddy. all of mine are fine.. :(
Well damn, looks like I have a faulty disk. Bummer :thumbdown:

Enigmo
Banned

Post by Enigmo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 am

would people be willing to see FUNimation do another HD remaster? lol

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:10 am

Enigmo wrote:would people be willing to see FUNimation do another HD remaster? lol
If it were in fullscreen, yes.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 am

Enigmo wrote:would people be willing to see FUNimation do another HD remaster? lol
Of the original series I would.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 am

If I recall correctly, I read that Funi does not have access to remastering Dragon Ball in HD so what you would be getting would be an upscaled version instead.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Funimation only has Film masters for DBZ, DB and DBGT are on digi-betas, which don't have the native resolution for HD so unless they're going for less discs with more episodes on each (unlikely as SD blu-rays are a minority) there's no point.

Keep in mind its the 30th anniversary of the anime in Japan, there's a slight chance (but I wouldn't count on it) TOEI might start releasing DB blu-rays before the year's out. If we're coming towards Christmas and there's still nothing I'd recommend anyone who doesn't have DB and really wants it to get the blue/banana bricks because it could be a while.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 pm

At one point Funimation did streamed DB Movies in HD, but they look horrible, if i remember correctly?
Last edited by coola on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:40 pm

coola wrote:At one point Funimation did streamer DB Movies in HD, but they look horrible, if i remember correctly?
It looked awful because of the oversaturated and crushed blacks. Would I still have bought it if they'd release it on Blu-ray? Maybe. Just googled and found this: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=28802

Movie 4's screenshot looks really good in HD.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:22 pm

Yeah I was hoping and praying for Funimation to release the Dragonboxes of Dragonball but that never happened so I got the Blue bricks on DVD. :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Enigmo
Banned

Post by Enigmo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:17 pm

The blur bricks of DB look fine to me. The colours look old, but more accurate-and not as old-looking--as the Dragon Box. The only thing that makes the DB Dragon Boxes better is that there's less cropping.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:45 am

This was probably answered way back in the thread, but I might as well ask it anyways. Does this release use the audio kei17 sent Chris Sabat in anyway shape or form? Just watched Geekdom101's video detailing the home releases, and that tidbit was mentioned, so I thought I'd fact check with you guys.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:47 am

I was under the impression that they either used the Dragon Box audio or the audio from their own film masters, so I doubt it. Besides, if they did use it, it would have been a selling point.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:17 am

gokaiblue wrote:This was probably answered way back in the thread, but I might as well ask it anyways. Does this release use the audio kei17 sent Chris Sabat in anyway shape or form? Just watched Geekdom101's video detailing the home releases, and that tidbit was mentioned, so I thought I'd fact check with you guys.
Haha, no, not at all. What a load of bull shit Geekdom101 spread if he said that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 am

No, it doesn't use it. It's the same source they've always used, except this time, they've applied noise reduction and equalised out the muffle.

Link to the video?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.