Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray

Post by fps_anth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:06 am

You may think you’ve seen all there is to see in the DBZ universe, but you’re wrong.
oh my god this cannot be a real promotional line for this set

the irony is delicious

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 am

SS3 Goku is creeping me out, man. It's really too bad about all this cropping nonsense. I sent an email explaining that if people are too dumb to realize they're missing out on footage when the aspect ratio is changed then they would probably be too dumb to realize that zooming in on the footage on their TV's would stretch or distort the image either; and then "everyone" would be happy. I wasn't planning on getting these anyway, but still: so lame.

I wonder if Martin Scorsese is a fan of Dragon Ball? 'Cause we need one of these only vice versa.
http://youtu.be/5m1-pP1-5K8
Last edited by pappy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love you love Mashirito.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:12 am

fps_anth wrote:
You may think you’ve seen all there is to see in the DBZ universe, but you’re wrong.

the irony is delicious
Well, it beats "the way it was meant to be seen."
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 am

You may think you’ve seen all there is to see in the DBZ universe, but you’re wrong
Funimation, I've seen the Fire Safety short AND the Traffic Safety short. You haven't even seen Battle of Gods.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:24 am

I have to admit, the line, "An elite team of Capsule Corp. scientists worked around the clock to put the greatest anime in history on the cutting edge of modern technology," made me grin. I thought it was pretty clever.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am

The problem is that when the level sets were released everyone had either bought the OB's, the Dragonboxes or Kai. So when Funi said for the 4th time "this is the best version of DBZ EVER!" people just went "meh". If Funi waited a bit longer for a new wave of fans and enough time for the people who bought the previous sets to consider double dipping this would have sold with or without 16:9.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:28 am

Ugh, got no choice but to pick these up- unless of course Funimation screws me over in another 6 years or so. At least I have the first two 'Level' sets/.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 am

Unless they revert back to 4:3, I'm keeping my Level sets as my only purchase of DBZ on Blu-Ray.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:unless of course Funimation screws me over in another 6 years or so.
And you know they will.

Hopefully by the time I get a Blu-ray player they'll have a proper, maybe Toei/Pony Canyon/Q-TEC(maybe not?)/etc. remaster available.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:43 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:unless of course Funimation screws me over in another 6 years or so.
And you know they will.

Hopefully by the time I get a Blu-ray player they'll have a proper, maybe Toei/Pony Canyon/Q-TEC/etc. remaster available.
At that point, they may very well be trying to ride the 4K train.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 am

Metalwario64 wrote:Q-TEC
HAHAHAHAHA

Ask Blu-ray anime fans, in general, their feeling on Q-Tec's HD remastering work.

They're on the same list of things people hate, right around cropping
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:44 am

I can't wait for the next release where they take 8th gen VHS fansub copies and call it the Bootleg Edition.

Complete with those little messages from fansubbers that dig at the other fansubbers!

Then, who knows? The International Channel Edition? The Westwood Edition? The third Blu-Ray release after the abandon this one where it's just Gen Fukunaga waving his junk in your face while Chris Sabat hums Bruce Faulconer music and Sean Schemmel reads original dub dialogue?

Let's just have Sonny Strait beamed into our brains for 24 Hour Krillinwashing. "It's Mondo Cool, now you're our tool!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 am

MarcFBR wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Q-TEC
HAHAHAHAHA

Ask Blu-ray anime fans, in general, their feeling on Q-Tec's HD remastering work.

They're on the same list of things people hate, right around cropping
I wasn't aware of that. I'm only aware of their FotNS and Kai remasters. Kai's a bit blurry, but I thought FoTNS looked pretty good. Perhaps they're the exceptions then.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am

My two cents? I'm not happy about this at all, BUT I'm not sure it's a dealbreaker. I have all the Dragon Boxes, so I have the series in 4:3. I would have liked the Blu-Rays like that as well, but I think I will be able to enjoy these as something different.

If this has taken the results of the survey into consideration, then I can't say I blame Funimation for this one.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 am

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm picking these up strictly because of the Blu Ray disk's long lasting value. Those things are impossible to scratch and they are designed to roughly last a century. Some of my Dragon Box DVDs, even though I take good care of them, are somehow scratched and skip through a few episodes.

YamiAtomsk

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 09

Post by YamiAtomsk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 am

Well there goes my plan to use the blu-ray sets to make up for the Dragon Box 2 set I don't have.

Only way to the get the majority of those episodes uncut and in 4:3 in America and it's the most expensive one. Figures.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 am

fps_anth wrote:

the irony is delicious
To be fair, the whole thing is basically just a rework of the description for the Level sets:
For the first time in any corner of the galaxy, Dragon Ball Z is available in HD on Bluray! This one-of-a-kind collection presents the first seventeen episodes of DBZ in unparalleled picture quality. A team of experts worked around the clock to put the greatest anime in history on the cutting edge of modern technology. This spectacular BluRay version of DBZ is re-mastered from the original film footage - frame by frame - with steps taken to ensure pristine picture quality free from any imperfections. The classic 4:3 format is captured in true 1080p HD with the original, director-approved color scheme! You may think you've seen all there is to see in the DBZ universe, but you're wrong. Take home this seventeen episode collection today, and fire your next Kamehameha Wave in the brilliance of Bluray!
Well, like I said in the survey, I have no desire to purchase a cropped version of DBZ so I'm definitely passing on this product.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 am

Kendamu wrote:I think I got all of my anger about this out back in 2007 or so. Now, I just kind of feel like :roll: now.
I'm actually having the opposite reaction. I think I'm more annoyed now than I remember being back in 2007.

I'm so beyond tired of having to deal with crap like this.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 am

"New in 16:9! It's DBZ as you've partially seen it before!"

Can I get a Schemen?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 am

Quote toonami

"if you squint real hard, it almost looks brand new" :lol: