Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 pm

Bianju wrote:*cradles my Level Set like it was my own progeny*
Don't be so happy about them :twisted: Toei's release will dethronize the Levels. Group of people is now working on this 8)

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:19 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Don't be so happy about them :twisted: Toei's release will dethronize the Levels. Group of people is now working on this 8)
Yeah but no English audio, and most highly likely no English subs.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Toei's release will dethronize the Levels. Group of people is now working on this 8)
I'm sorry, what? I haven't heard anything about this, and since Kai is a thing, there's no reason Toei would even consider a new Blu-Ray release of DBZ.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:01 am

LordCrumb wrote:Yeah but no English audio, and most highly likely no English subs.
(shitstorm alert) Who needs an English audio? :P We only need good film-to-HD transfer and we can do the rest by ourselves.

(there is a slight chance for English subtitles)
Danfun64 wrote:I'm sorry, what? I haven't heard anything about this, and since Kai is a thing, there's no reason Toei would even consider a new Blu-Ray release of DBZ.
You haven't heard anything, because you haven't talked to people who work on this. I will wait with my scepticism for Toei to respond.

Check out this topic: Possibility of a remastered Dragon Ball?
Look, search, check stuff, contact people and you will know everything. But first of all: Participate!

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Yeah but no English audio, and most highly likely no English subs.
(shitstorm alert) Who needs an English audio? :P We only need good film-to-HD transfer and we can do the rest by ourselves.

I don't like watching ripped or re-authored DVD/BD. I watch only the legit original disc when it comes to anything Dragon Ball.

if you're going to make a "definitive" DB release, the English audio is a must have.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:45 am

LordCrumb wrote:I don't like watching ripped or re-authored DVD/BD. I watch only the legit original disc when it comes to anything Dragon Ball.
That's contrary to me. The first thing I do after getting DVD/Blu-ray is remuxing all the material into separate files (mkv container). You can copy it everywhere you want, watch it on any device and you have direct, easy and quick access to all the parts of the material you need.
LordCrumb wrote:if you're going to make a "definitive" DB release, the English audio is a must have.
I know what you're saying, but convincing Toei that they should get English audio masters from FUNimation and place English audio track on their release is highly unlikely. The more possible thing to happen is them licensing their video remaster to all the companies around the world. Those companies could release their versions of the show by themselves for their own markets (Blu-rays, HDTV broadcasts, streaming sites, digital downloads etc.).

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
At this point, I have pretty much zero confidence that Toei will do their own Blu-rays. It seems that, right now, Super is the big focus and there isn't much of a chance that it'll slow down too soon.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

genjosanzo8
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by genjosanzo8 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:42 am

the same, Toei didn't even wanted kei's audio which are far better than the one they have, i seriously don't think Toei will bother to re-scan in HD reels and even if they do they'll use muffle audio.
kai was for me a way to make dbz in HD else they'll just have doing it with dbz like they did with yugioh, i think it was less costly to redo the things like they did with kai than properly rescan the things.
more if it cost them money just watch what they did with Saint Seiya , chinese dvd are more beautiful and sharpen than the japanese bluray.
No matter what Toei is like AB group in France a company that don't care about fans but only think of make money they'll allways choose the cheapest things

so the only way to have or see a proper version of DB will be fan works

DB DBZ could be done in blu-ray if Toei see real potential market but with theirs cheapest minds as long as no one pay the fee to remaster the things they'll choose the cheapest way.
If people wasn't buying their shitty upscale it could have maybe be differrent but if you see all HD broadcast today use funi seasons sets master and Toei sell this version around the world.
for me it's just no way they change their mind.

About bgm project with columbia maybe you from this project have show them potential of this release but the differrent things is that columbia allways have the bgm in stereo somewhere there is just to mastering and releasing them, for toei they need the complete broadcast audio, remastering the audio (cause of the bleep, buzz, next episode preview with cm, noise etc...) synced it (very easy but it have to be done), doing the same with film reel by rescan them, make a color correction.
all of this will kill the potential of the release it will have a production cost so high that it will kill the things

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 am

Kendamu wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
At this point, I have pretty much zero confidence that Toei will do their own Blu-rays. It seems that, right now, Super is the big focus and there isn't much of a chance that it'll slow down too soon.
Yup, not to mention Kai exists as HD DB, they've had ample opportunity to release Z uncut on BD and haven't and now have an ongoing DB series, they're not gonna be competing with themselves. Also they're sub licensing FUNi's HD transfer out plus the Japanese video market is incredibly ridiculously priced, who is realistically gonna buy Z on BD outside the hard core where you have much cheaper alternatives. And finally this all under the assumption that Toei would do a good job, they're not the most competent studio in the world just look at Buu Kai they did such a piss poor job who is to say something similar won't happen if they released Z on BD?

Overall, too many drawbacks for Toei to release Z on BD especially when they technically already have. I'm not suprised at all they haven't.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:39 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yup, not to mention Kai exists as HD DB, they've had ample opportunity to release Z uncut on BD and haven't and now have an ongoing DB series, they're not gonna be competing with themselves. Also they're sub licensing FUNi's HD transfer out plus the Japanese video market is incredibly ridiculously priced, who is realistically gonna buy Z on BD outside the hard core where you have much cheaper alternatives. And finally this all under the assumption that Toei would do a good job, they're not the most competent studio in the world just look at Buu Kai they did such a piss poor job who is to say something similar won't happen if they released Z on BD?

Overall, too many drawbacks for Toei to release Z on BD especially when they technically already have. I'm not suprised at all they haven't.
You have a point about Z, but what about Dragon Ball, the original?
Dragon Ball is largely overlooked in the west thanks to it only airing after Z, and it starting out largely as a comedy show, but in Japan, it's just as big.

Plus, OG Dragon Ball ran about half the length of Z, meaning it'd be much more affordable for them to have a company like Q-TEC(Who were responsible for remastering Kai 1.0) come back to do the whole series. And unlike Kai, Dragon Ball is already known to be pretty big in Japan.

And what about the movies? There are only 16 of those, so that could make a pretty viable run of Blu-Rays.

(Also GT)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am

Robo4900 wrote:You have a point about Z, but what about Dragon Ball, the original?
Dragon Ball is largely overlooked in the west thanks to it only airing after Z, and it starting out largely as a comedy show, but in Japan, it's just as big.

Plus, OG Dragon Ball ran about half the length of Z, meaning it'd be much more affordable for them to have a company like Q-TEC(Who were responsible for remastering Kai 1.0) come back to do the whole series. And unlike Kai, Dragon Ball is already known to be pretty big in Japan.

And what about the movies? There are only 16 of those, so that could make a pretty viable run of Blu-Rays.

(Also GT)
Now he is talking! At least one positive guy! :D IMPROVEMENT is what is crucial in update from SD to HD. When you take previous releases of Dragon Ball into consideration, there's A LOT that can be improved - much more than in other shows that were updated from DVD to Blu-ray: Resolution, colors and especially audio quality. Why do you think Toei produced completely new audio track for Kai? Because they didn't have the original good sounding masters! Don't tell me that they had the budget to hire new composer, record new music, record new voices, produce the entire audio track, edit out all the fillers but they will not afford just simply transferring all the material from film as it is* and syncing the broadcast audio with it.

* - I am not talking about the restoration process here.

Only thing they need is input from fans and good advertisement. Hell, even kei17 himself was optimistic about this and he knows Japanese market way better than we do. I heard that Kai was not well received by fans in Japan, so this may be a good message to Toei. People in Japan love the original cast, original voice performances and Kikuchi score (not mentioning countries like mine, where 90% of fans accept only the original version of the show**). Read some reviews of soundtrack releases on amazon or stuff about Dragon Ball on Japanese forums - they are as crazy as I am, if not more.

- and we do have fanbase here. One guy started online petition to get a rerun of Dragon Ball in TV: He got 27746 signatures.

To all the people who are interested in this project: Read this topic: Possibility of a remastered Dragon Ball?
Start sending your thoughts to following addresses:
Nippon Columbia
Image 日本
〒105-8482
東京都港区虎ノ門4-1-40
江戸見坂森ビル

Edomisaka Mori Bldg., 4-1-40 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8482, Japan

Toei Animation
Image 日本
〒164-000
東京都中野区中野二丁目10番5号
中野セントラルパーク イースト5階

5F Nakano Central Park East, 4-10-1 Nakano, Nakano-ku, Tokyo 164-0001, Japan

Toei Audio Visual Art Center
Image 日本
〒178-0063
東京都練馬区東大泉2丁目11番32号
東映アニメーション別館 1F

Toei Animation Annex 1F, 2-11-32 Higashiōizumi, Nerima-ku, Tokyo 178-0063, Japan
Tell them what you want: 1080p resolution, original AR, original colors, no grain removal, original cel animation quality, no useless filtering, honest reproduction of the original film, original broadcast audio etc. Private action is the only thing you can do now. “The Group” is already at the finish of preparing all the materials we want to hand to our contact in Toei, so we don't need any help with this at the moment.

Situation with GT is even better: They already have all the audio in digital format. Improvement from crappy monophonic optical track to stereo digital track is worth the effort.
Last edited by Kojiro Sasaki on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

LordCrumb wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:

I don't like watching ripped or re-authored DVD/BD. I watch only the legit original disc when it comes to anything Dragon Ball.

if you're going to make a "definitive" DB release, the English audio is a must have.
If that is included, then every other dub of the franchise should be included.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yup, not to mention Kai exists as HD DB, they've had ample opportunity to release Z uncut on BD and haven't and now have an ongoing DB series, they're not gonna be competing with themselves. Also they're sub licensing FUNi's HD transfer out plus the Japanese video market is incredibly ridiculously priced, who is realistically gonna buy Z on BD outside the hard core where you have much cheaper alternatives. And finally this all under the assumption that Toei would do a good job, they're not the most competent studio in the world just look at Buu Kai they did such a piss poor job who is to say something similar won't happen if they released Z on BD?

You have a point about Z, but what about Dragon Ball, the original?

(Also GT)
FUNi already have the movies in HD plus I don't know how well the old movies would do now given BoG, RF and Super. As for DB, looks unlikely too last year was the 30th anniversary the perfect opportunity to release DB and nothing. /: Honestly if DB was gonna come to BD it would have done by now. The fact Toei skipped it for Kai shows me they're not interested.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi already have the movies in HD plus I don't know how well the old movies would do now given BoG, RF and Super. As for DB, looks unlikely too last year was the 30th anniversary the perfect opportunity to release DB and nothing. /: Honestly if DB was gonna come to BD it would have done by now. The fact Toei skipped it for Kai shows me they're not interested.
Funi's BDs are crap, sourced a good 3-5 generations down from Toei's masters. Besides, Toei don't care what Funi already have out, as Blu-Rays are very strictly region locked. Sure, these days, you can pick up a region-free DVD player for dirt cheap, or just run a piece of software on your PC to remedy it, but Blu-Rays are still locked behind walls of DRM and other arcane idiocy that prevents you from playing anything other than stuff from your region. This works to Toei's advantage in this case, because American BDs won't play in Japan. Besides, the Japanese audio on Funimation's releases sound awful; if Toei do movie Blu-Rays, they'd use the same high-quality masters they used on the Dragon Boxes and Laserdiscs.

Having the older movies out would be great, as it would mean you could watch all 18 Dragon Ball/Z movies in HD. And yes, they'd look great. They have a different look to BoG and RF, but that's not a bad thing; hell, I personally love the look of classic, hand-drawn animation, and even prefer it to modern digital animation. And I'm sure as hell not alone in that. The whole point of this thing Kojiro Sasaki is bringing up is that Toei haven't known there's demand for it so far, and he's right! So what if they missed the 30th anniversary? It's not like the show's lost popularity in the time since then. It's still a classic anime, and no amount of time can really diminish that.
And anyway, the Dragon Boxes weren't brought out for any specific occasion; 2003 was 19 years after the manga started, 17 years after the original series started, 14 years after Z started, and 7 years after GT started. You'd be hard-pressed to find a less significant year to start the Dragon Boxes in, as far as anniversary years go.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi already have the movies in HD plus I don't know how well the old movies would do now given BoG, RF and Super. As for DB, looks unlikely too last year was the 30th anniversary the perfect opportunity to release DB and nothing. /: Honestly if DB was gonna come to BD it would have done by now. The fact Toei skipped it for Kai shows me they're not interested.
Funi's BDs are crap, sourced a good 3-5 generations down from Toei's masters. Besides, Toei don't care what Funi already have out, as Blu-Rays are very strictly region locked. Sure, these days, you can pick up a region-free DVD player for dirt cheap, or just run a piece of software on your PC to remedy it, but Blu-Rays are still locked behind walls of DRM and other arcane idiocy that prevents you from playing anything other than stuff from your region. This works to Toei's advantage in this case, because American BDs won't play in Japan. Besides, the Japanese audio on Funimation's releases sound awful; if Toei do movie Blu-Rays, they'd use the same high-quality masters they used on the Dragon Boxes and Laserdiscs.
You are incorrect as both the USA and Japan are in the same region for Blu-Rays which is awesome because i can buy imported Blu Rays and watch them with no issue. The Gurren Lagann Limited Collectors Edition is a perfect example among others :D

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:You are incorrect as both the USA and Japan are in the same region for Blu-Rays which is awesome because i can buy imported Blu Rays and watch them with no issue. The Gurren Lagann Limited Collectors Edition is a perfect example among others :D
You didn't answer any of my other points.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Now he is talking! At least one positive guy! :D
I can also see Toei re-releasing it on Blu-Ray, especially since they've never released it on that format.

Funimation have released it...(Original edition, ultimate uncut, orange sets, dragon boxes, level sets & blu-ray season sets) 6 times while Toei have just released it once in the dragon box singles (Kai is a different show, it's more of a dirictor's cut than a new edition of the original) so there's really no reason to say they won't when it's known to have multiple releases.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Toei don't care what Funi already have out, as Blu-Rays are very strictly region locked.
USA and Japan have the same Blu-Ray region, and Funi's Blu-Rays have been imported in Japan. Even in the case of Funi's DVDs, most of them support DVD Region 2 (which Japan has)

Edit: Properly attributed who the quote came from.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Shouldn't broken posts like this one be fixed by moderators? 8) rs_chaosmaster improperly quoted Robo4900 and what Robo4900 said was quoted by Danfun64 as rs_chaosmaster's words. Please fix it and remove my post.

If mods now want to tell me: “Mind your own business” - OK, I get it, please delete this post and forget about it.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Danfun64 wrote:USA and Japan have the same Blu-Ray region, and Funi's Blu-Rays have been imported in Japan. Even in the case of Funi's DVDs, most of them support DVD Region 2 (which Japan has)
rs_chaosmaster wrote:You are incorrect as both the USA and Japan are in the same region for Blu-Rays which is awesome because i can buy imported Blu Rays and watch them with no issue. The Gurren Lagann Limited Collectors Edition is a perfect example among others :D
Alright, fine, you want to fixate on this one point? Sure, I'll go with that.
If Toei cared about import problems, why would they let Funimation release their Blu-Rays, if all Toei has are the DBox DVDs?
Even if you account for the fact Funi's standard BDs are terrible, their Boo Kai BDs contain the full version of Boo Kai(Rather than the butchered version Japan got), and don't use the awful sharpening filter, so once those are fully released, they'll be strictly better than the Japanese version.