Battle of Gods Box Office - $51.2 million

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $49.2 million (#6 in US!)

Post by B » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 am

Big Momma wrote:What were Evolution's opening weekend pullings? I would love for BoG to beat that.

EDIT: Looks like it made $4,756,488 opening weekend...not an impossible goal, but I dunno. We'll see.
You'd have to factor budget(and I guess how wide the release was too). Evolution cost $30 million to make; that is most certainly not the case with BoG.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $48.9 million (#6 in US!)

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 am

My theater showings are August 5,6, and 9. I heard from a friend that its was jam packed Tuesday! I will be making the trip Saturday and give my support!

They only showed the movie once at 7pm for Tues. n Wed., Sat. 1 showing also 10am.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

B wrote:
Big Momma wrote:What were Evolution's opening weekend pullings? I would love for BoG to beat that.

EDIT: Looks like it made $4,756,488 opening weekend...not an impossible goal, but I dunno. We'll see.
You'd have to factor budget(and I guess how wide the release was too). Evolution cost $30 million to make; that is most certainly not the case with BoG.
Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand, why would the budget need to be factored it? I was just saying that it'd be nice if BoG's 4-Day run on limited theaters could beat out DBE's more widely-released opening weekend earnings.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 pm

It's still being updated, but it did drop but it's at number four spot?

Edit: They have yet to calculate Hercules, Gaurdians, Transformers, etc.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:31 pm

$865,204 for Wednesday. Total from Tuesday and Wednesday is $1,937,804. It was the #6 highest grossing movie for Wednesday, like it was for Tuesday. 19% drop from the earnings on Tuesday.

Not bad if I say so myself. I agree with Bullza; I think the final total gross will end up being around $3 million.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Looks like it was still number six but that isnt what matters, $865,000 is an incedibly good number. It's only a 19% drop. That brings the movie up to $49.7 million which means it will finally surpass $50 million tommorow.

Expect another drop tommorow though usually Thursday numbers have smaller drops. $3.5-4 million is more likely now.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:44 pm

SupremeSSJ wrote:My theater showings are August 5,6, and 9. I heard from a friend that its was jam packed Tuesday! I will be making the trip Saturday and give my support!

They only showed the movie once at 7pm for Tues. n Wed., Sat. 1 showing also 10am.
I saw that a lot of the theaters were playing it only once a day. Luckily, there are two theaters near my home where they have 8+ showings a day for Battle of Gods until Sunday. I wouldn't be able to see the movie otherwise (will go tomorrow at 9:30AM due to my work schedule).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Battle of Gods Box Office - $49.7 million (#6 in US!)

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 pm

My movie theater doesn't get battle of gods until the 14th, so I made sure to preorder my ticket. It's showing the movie on the 14th,15th, 16th, and 17th.
Neo died for our smiths.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:35 pm

B wrote:

Evolution also had a lot of money spend on it's marketing. DBE had books for kids to read, a toy line, a video game, trailers attach to movies like The Day the Earth Stood Still remake, Marley & Me, and Watchmen. BOG and DBE are different films since DBE was a Hollywood movie market to a bigger audience. BOG is a movie release for a niche audience. The movie getting a drop off on it's second day is not surprising since the main target audience pretty much rush out to see it. The movie is going to drop off from the Top 10 after this week since Guardians of the Galaxy is still doing strong. Not to mention TMNT, Let's Be Cops and Into the Storm are coming out too.

I know people want BOG to have 2,000 or 3,000 screenings but our fanbase is not strong enough to earn ticket sales to justify releasing them on 3,000+ plus screens all over the country.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 pm

So my local theater must've been doing great, since I just found out they're doing a 7:45PM showing tomorrow, on Friday. What?! This is unexpectedly awesome news.

Originally they had a 1:30PM showing on Saturday too (the one I was going to attend), but they'll be showing it again at 7:45PM also.

I still wish I had attended the Tuesday showing though. I bet it was fantastic. But friday night is the second best!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 pm

If the movie really is being shown on extra days and with extra showings then it'll only push the movie further. Right now it has the second highest dollar to theatre average so it makes sense.
I know people want BOG to have 2,000 or 3,000 screenings but our fanbase is not strong enough to earn ticket sales to justify releasing them on 3,000+ plus screens all over the country.

That's true but like I said earlier if this next movie can get a US release within months of the Japanese release so before everyone just watches it online then I think it would be enough to release it for say 10 straight days, multiple showings in a good 1,000 theatres then it could have a crack at $10 million which would be more than DBE.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 am

Daimakku wrote:So my local theater must've been doing great, since I just found out they're doing a 7:45PM showing tomorrow, on Friday. What?! This is unexpectedly awesome news.

Originally they had a 1:30PM showing on Saturday too (the one I was going to attend), but they'll be showing it again at 7:45PM also.

I still wish I had attended the Tuesday showing though. I bet it was fantastic. But friday night is the second best!
Oh snap, I'm only an hour away from that theater...I may go check that out if I'm free.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:04 am

Big Momma wrote:
Daimakku wrote:So my local theater must've been doing great, since I just found out they're doing a 7:45PM showing tomorrow, on Friday. What?! This is unexpectedly awesome news.

Oh snap, I'm only an hour away from that theater...I may go check that out if I'm free.
You live in Muncie? You might check some theaters in Indianapolis too, some might also be showing it on friday, but Carmike on Jefferson Pointe in Fort Wayne definitely will.

Seems like I won't be able to make the friday night showing though.. bummer. :( But will definitely do either of the two showings on saturday.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:39 pm

Battle of Gods' gross hasn't been put up yet.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:13 pm

It comes late for some reason, should be up within a couple hours though (I'll be asleep). I'm going to hope it stays over $700,000 and I'd be happy with anything over $750,000. What with Dawn of the Apes dropping there is a chance that the movie could go up to be #5 today.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... lz2014.htm

$263,765 earned on Thursday. It was the 11th highest grossing movie on Thursday. Total gross for the North American showings is $2,201,569.

Although it may seem low, it's to be expected since it was only shown in 330 theaters on Thursday, as opposed to Tuesday and Wednesday when it was shown in 692 and 652 theaters respectively. At least it's broken the $2 million mark.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... lz2014.htm

$263,765 earned on Thursday. It was the 11th highest grossing movie on Thursday. Total gross for the North American showings is $2,201,569.

Although it may seem low, it's to be expected since it was only shown in 330 theaters on Thursday, as opposed to Tuesday and Wednesday when it was shown in 692 and 652 theaters respectively. At least it's broken the $2 million mark.
Not bad at all considering it was only in 330 theaters.

Hopefully saturday does a little better. It seems that some theaters are even showing it today, though I doubt most are.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Wait, the movie was only available in 330 theaters today, or those are the amount of theaters that had people bother to go see the film?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki