Dragon Ball Cels

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Greekboy

Dragon Ball Cels

Post by Greekboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the forum after just having discovered the world of Dragon Ball a couple of months ago and I'm hooked. I have searched the Internet high and low for Dragon Ball cels and was wondering if anyone can recommend any reputable sources. I would love to pick up a nice Piccolo, Vegeta or King Kai cel and haven't had too much luck. Is there anything I should look out for when buying cels? I see most have the sketch stuck, but I'm not sure if that is something I should avoid. Are fakes common in the marketplace? I come from a street art collecting background where fakes are unfortunately common place and condition plays a big role.
Any advice would be appreciated.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Cels

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Ebay is a good place. There are some fanmade cels, but they are usually marked as such. I think Anime Conventions have them too from time to time

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greekboy

Post by Greekboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for your response. I check eBay daily but haven't found anything to my liking just yet. Coincidentally, I live close to the metro Detroit area and they have an Anime convention next week. Has anyone been to Youmacon before? The world of anime is fairly new to me and I'm not sure I want to drop the $30 entrance fee in hopes of finding cels.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 am

If you're willing to part with a fuckton of money, then try buying them from Japan. There might be some deals too.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 am

http://www.rubberslug.com has a marketplace that people sell on often. There's also users' galleries that you can browse through and contact to see if they'd be willing to sell anything you're interested in.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

cloud1414
Beyond Newbie

Post by cloud1414 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 am

Youmacon might have them. I know Ohayocon in January have cells for animes and cartoons sp that can be another option. I hope that helped. Ill be at Sugoicon so ill look around there to see what I find.

Greekboy

Post by Greekboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for all the info guys!
Those Japan Yahoo auctions are exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have experience ordering from them? It seems pretty complicated and Google translate doesn't seem to help much. I might give Younacon a try next week and see what they have to offer. I have 8 week old twins and want to pick up some Totoro stuff for their nursery, so it's a good excuse to go.

On a side note, I see that funimation is releasing a new series of Dragon Ball on blu ray. I was going to pick up the Kai season sets, but am concerned that they will not finish them with the Buu saga. Has there been any confirmation that they will finish the series? Ivan anyone comment on the quality if the Season sets? Are they the best version available of Kai here in the US?

Thanks again for all the information.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:27 am

Greekboy wrote:Thanks for all the info guys!
Those Japan Yahoo auctions are exactly what I'm looking for. Does anyone have experience ordering from them? It seems pretty complicated and Google translate doesn't seem to help much. I might give Younacon a try next week and see what they have to offer. I have 8 week old twins and want to pick up some Totoro stuff for their nursery, so it's a good excuse to go.

On a side note, I see that funimation is releasing a new series of Dragon Ball on blu ray. I was going to pick up the Kai season sets, but am concerned that they will not finish them with the Buu saga. Has there been any confirmation that they will finish the series? Ivan anyone comment on the quality if the Season sets? Are they the best version available of Kai here in the US?

Yup, I wrote a whole guide on ordering from them

Deadtuber.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:03 pm

Greekboy wrote:On a side note, I see that funimation is releasing a new series of Dragon Ball on blu ray. I was going to pick up the Kai season sets, but am concerned that they will not finish them with the Buu saga. Has there been any confirmation that they will finish the series? Ivan anyone comment on the quality if the Season sets? Are they the best version available of Kai here in the US?

Totoro for the nursery? Adorable! :D

If you have not heard, it was effectively leaked earlier this year by Mayumi Tanaka (Krillikn, Yadjirobe) in Japan and both Kyle Hebert and Sean Schemmel in the US, all on Twitter posts now removed, that they had been recording for a Buu saga of Kai, but Toei does not intend on airing it on TV in Japan, though international airings are not out of the question. I believe Sean answered a forum goer's question about it in the affirmative more recently at a convention somewhere, but I cannot give you the post. On the website, VegettoEX just posted another post from Tanaka http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/10/25/ma ... blog-post/ talking about "some dragon ball recording", which may or may not be Kai. I don't know if the Battle of Z game is fully voiced by this point. But we still lack an official announcement.

My take on it is because Toei expects to make less off the Kai Buu release, they are producing the episodes more slowly to absorb the production costs, when means more segmented recording, and also a longer time from production to announcement, given that you would want to have at least two home releases worth of content for something like this on reveal, particularly if there's a chance it might air on TV somewhere. The fact that Funimation seems to have it, though, tells me that Toei has some confidence in making the product. Of course, we'll see what it actually looks like when its announced; I made my call under the assumption Toei was doing the same remastering process as they had used before for consistency, because why not?

As for the Kai season sets being the best way to purchase, while I don't own Kai myself, the only differences in the sets are that the first four 2-disc sets have Kenji Yammamoto's background music (And I believe are being price-gouged for it now that they're out of print :crazy: ), and that the Seasons and later 2-disc parts have Toei's mix of higher quality Kikuchi music they've deemed fit to use, which I recall hearing is apparently is about a third of the music Kikuchi made for the series. There should not be any difference is video quality or voice tracks. If you're waiting for the Buu announcement before you buy, I think you can afford to wait some more; I don't know if those Kai Seasons are gong anywhere, or at least I don't know why they would be price-gouged later. Anyone who actually owns Kai can probably tell it better than I could.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yup, I wrote a whole guide on ordering from them
Impressive, that!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Greekboy

Post by Greekboy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Wow, thanks for all of the info guys! I guess I will play the waiting game for now in hopes that funimation announces the Buu saga in Kai format soon.

Ajay, I noticed that some auctions state they will not honor bids placed through a second party. Have you had any problems with this in the past?

I really appreciate the help and info this community has provided me. I can only hope to return the favor in time.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Greekboy wrote:Wow, thanks for all of the info guys! I guess I will play the waiting game for now in hopes that funimation announces the Buu saga in Kai format soon.

Ajay, I noticed that some auctions state they will not honor bids placed through a second party. Have you had any problems with this in the past?

I really appreciate the help and info this community has provided me. I can only hope to return the favor in time.
I've always avoided the ones that say that, unfortunately. Quite annoying since some of the nicest cels say that :(

Deadtuber.