New Dragon Ball Z Box Sets at Costco Canada?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: New Dragon Ball Z Box Sets at Costco Canada?!

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

Tyro wrote:
Zeroplus wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Wow, those are pretty cool. Would you be able to say what they went for?
Like price? $47 for the movies, and $140 for the series.
Strange question being that that prices are on the boxes and all.
Holy Crap!!! :o $140 for 291 episodes!! That's less than $0.50 an episode! That's wicked cheap! :shock:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Tyro wrote:
Zeroplus wrote:
Big Momma wrote:Wow, those are pretty cool. Would you be able to say what they went for?
Like price? $47 for the movies, and $140 for the series.
Strange question being that that prices are on the boxes and all.
Oh crap, my mistake. I dunno how I missed those :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Holy Crap!!! :o $140 for 291 episodes!! That's less than $0.50 an episode! That's wicked cheap! :shock:
It's a good deal for the movies. Amazon currently has all the Orange Bricks for $130.41 with free shipping, just slightly cheaper. But I recall people in Canada not being applicable for this sale, so yeah this is a great way to pick up everything for $200. What's the sales tax in Canada?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Blade wrote:It's a good piece of art regardless of what film it's from. To the regular guy who's never seen any of the films before it holds no negative connotation.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love movie 11 (and its poster). No negative connotations for this guy.

I just think it's just a very, very odd choice to create a cover for a 13 film boxset using characters that only appear in four of those films (and only star in two, arguably three). You'd think something like the redrawn version of movie three's poster would have worked better.

I do like the artwork they used for the Z boxset, though. I'd be very curious to see if the DB or GT releases got one of these store exclusive repackagings.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

I like how Movie 5 is so awesome it gets a disc all to itself.

But seriously, you'd think they'd pair the first six films in twos, and I guess leave movie 7 by itself, and the pair the rest.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

B wrote:I like how Movie 5 is so awesome it gets a disc all to itself.

But seriously, you'd think they'd pair the first six films in twos, and I guess leave movie 7 by itself, and the pair the rest.
I think each movie is on a single disc, it just has a single case, though they could have just released 2 sets before, make the two covers Koola and Broli related since Box One would have 2 Koola movies and Box Two would have 3 Broli movies.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:00 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
B wrote:I like how Movie 5 is so awesome it gets a disc all to itself.

I think each movie is on a single disc, it just has a single case, though they could have just released 2 sets before, make the two covers Koola and Broli related since Box One would have 2 Koola movies and Box Two would have 3 Broli movies.
They're the same discs from the Steelbooks, so each movie is on its own disc except for Movies 10 & 11 which are on a single disc.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Complete Movie Collection? I think not.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Huh, that's not a bad deal on either of those. Looks like the Sets are just kind of shrinkwrapped together, but the movie box seems consolidated in a way like the Wal-mart 'double sets' were.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Complete Movie Collection? I think not.
Er...it's got all 13 movies from Z. How is that not complete?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Er...it's got all 13 movies from Z. How is that not complete?
Because it doesn't contain BoG is my guess.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Tyro wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Er...it's got all 13 movies from Z. How is that not complete?
Because it doesn't contain BoG is my guess.
Maybe. I would think that'd be kind of...self-explanatory though, since it hasn't been released here yet at all, and is kind of it's own thing, separate from the previous films entirely.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Zeroplus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zeroplus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 pm

All I want is to be able to order the cardboard boxes that contain the movies slim cases and orange bricks from funimation. That's all I want...
F OFF GOOTECKS!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:13 am

Woah. I might have to check this out. Need to finish my movie collection.

Is $47 + tax a good price for all 13 movies?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:21 am

fps_anth wrote:Is $47 + tax a good price for all 13 movies?
About the same as you can pick them up on Amazon separately.
Last edited by Tyro on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:34 am

Hmm, the plastic mini keep cases remind me of the cheapo X-files slimpacks I bought many years ago.

Otherwise that's a pretty nice release. All things being equal the Remastered Bricks ARE the only way to buy the series in totality, unless you're The Monopoly Guy.
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I guess considering that GT's been released in that combined set thing, this is something that makes sense.
Blade wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Why on Earth did they choose that movie 11 image to represent the entire Dragon Ball Z film series?

:eh:
It's a good piece of art regardless of what film it's from. To the regular guy who's never seen any of the films before it holds no negative connotation, and to the guy who's seen all 13 - he knows what he's buying anyway.
And to the average kanzenshuu forum poster, they should know to hold out until FUNi finally announces the Movie Dragon Boxes.

Though from what I remember conversation here being, FUNi's releases and the Japanese DBox releases both have their pros and cons, so... :thumbup: ?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm

They don't have the movies on Blu-ray then? Too bad! Guess I'll still wait until the Blu-ray double features/Broly triple feature is around $15 on Amazon.com.

For those wondering about the sales tax up here in the great white north, it ranges from 5%-15%. Luckily it's 5% in my province. Everywhere is at least 5% (that's the national/federal tax), and then some provinces (states) add an extra 5-10%.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 am

These aren't Costco exclusive, Amazon has started listing them for a release on the 26th: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u ... B00G1YD4NE
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am

So these are going to see a widespread release a month before the new Blu-rays? I hope these end up in as many places as possible, FUNimation is literally stupid! :lol: Looks like what happened to the Level sets all over again, hopefully I'm right. At least this time it would be a shitty product tanking.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:54 am

Do these two images look familiar to anyone? :lol:

And the others: