Any old Toriyama interviews still out there?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Any old Toriyama interviews still out there?

Post by Tyro » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:15 am

Kanzenshuu has quite a list of Toriyama interviews. But are there any rare issues of magazines or other goods where we know he has been interviewed but we haven't been able to get our hands on it? For that matter, are there any Dragon Ball related articles from old WSJ that we haven't been able to track down? For example, doesn't the Japanese Wikipedia cite that battle powers for some characters appear in a magazine which we've never been able to find, but they were right about Coola's Armored Squadron so maybe there's still something out there.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Re: Any old Toriyama interviews still out there?

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:45 am

Yes there is.
  • There's a 10 page interview in the Jump Comics Selection game guide to Daimao Fukhatsu (from the Famicom).
  • A two-pager in the Jump Hero Retsuden game guide.
  • A five page interview in an '81 issue of Asahi Weekly.
  • Two interviews in separate Playboy Japan issues.
  • And three seperate audio messages from Mr. Toriyama-sensei himself in the two Jump Dragon Ball Original CDs from the early 1990's (though one does not seem to be DB-related).
I think there are a few more that I believe have I have raw images of and documentations of, but I will look for them in the future.

I also know that the staff members (including the translating machines) are all very busy individuals, and spend a ton of time on the site as it is. Adding interviews is always on their checklist, so I hope this thread doesn't turn into people demanding and complaining about certain items not being covered yet.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Yes there is.
  • There's a 10 page interview in the Jump Comics Selection game guide to Daimao Fukkatsu (from the Famicom).
  • A two-pager in the Jump Hero Retsuden game guide.
  • A five page interview in an '81 issue of Asahi Weekly.
  • Two interviews in separate Playboy Japan issues.
  • And three seperate audio messages from Mr. Toriyama-sensei himself in the two Jump Dragon Ball Original CDs from the early 1990's (though one does not seem to be DB-related).
I think there are a few more that I believe have I have raw images of and documentations of, but I will look for them in the future.

I also know that the staff members (including the translating machines) are all very busy individuals, and spend a ton of time on the site as it is. Adding interviews is always on their checklist, so I hope this thread doesn't turn into people demanding and complaining about certain items not being covered yet.
There's also:
  • A profile and interview from the September 1980 issue of Pafu magazine (released 30 July 1980), which is currently the earliest-known Toriyama interview (he had just hit it big with Dr. Slump);
  • An interview in the November 1980 issue of Starlog (the Japanese edition), which also discusses him and Dr. Slump;
  • A talk with comedian Shōfukutei Tsurube in issue 1981 #4/5 of Weekly Seventeen magazine, which resulted after Toriyama drew him several times in Dr. Slump without his permission. Note Tsurube's luxurious afro, which he shaved off in the 1990s when he started balding.
  • A talk with actress and singer Nana Konomi in the 24 July 1981 issue of Weekly Playboy;
  • The "Toriyama Broadcasting Station" (Toriyama Hōsōkyoku) Q&A column in the tankōbon release of Dr. Slump (the predecessor of "Toriyama-san's Ask-Me-Anything Corner" in the first 12 tankōbon of Dragon Ball);
  • A two-part interview with Sora Oda in the October and November 1981 issues of shōjo manga magazine Ribbon;
  • An interview with Tetsuko Kuroyanagi on Tetsuko's Room in 1983, soon after his marriage to fellow artist Nachi Mikami;
  • The "Toriyama-san's Ask-Me-Anything Corner" columns in the first 12 volumes of the Dragon Ball tankōbon release, 1985–'87;
  • An interview in the official guidebook for the Famicom Game Daimaō Fukkatsu, sometime in July 1987;
  • Several "This is how I became a cartoonist" cartoons featured in Weekly Jump around 1987;
  • A two-page, full-color comic entitled "The Anime and Me", from the Dragon Ball Z Anime Special guide in autumn 1989;
  • A roundtable with Dragon Quest designer Yūji Hori'i and Toriyama's first Jump editor Kazuhiko Torishima in Akira Toriyama: The World in early 1990
  • A talk with Kochi-Kame author Osamu Akimoto, also from Akira Toriyama: The World in early 1990
  • Commentary on some of his early works from the insert pamphlet at the start of Akira Toriyama: The World Anime Special in September 1990;
  • A description of his drawing style and influences as he draws a color illustration of Goku (as well as a description of his process of illustrating as he draws the book's cover illustration) in Akira Toriyama: The World SPECIAL in late 1990;
  • A roundtable discussion with members of the anime staff (plus Masako Nozawa) in the second Dragon Ball Z Anime Special (plus notes on how to draw certain characters at the beginning of the book) from June 1991;
  • An on-stage interview at some Jump event in the early 1990s (possibly Jump Multi-World '93?), which I've chiefly seen used by YouTube hoaxsters to promote the "new series" of the moment;
  • A roundtable with Yūji Hori'i and Hironobu Sakaguchi on the subject of Chrono Trigger in the second Dragon Ball "Jump Original CD", from 1994;
  • An interview with Weekly Playboy in 1995 about his career and the subject of Dragon Ball, which was soon to be ending (though I'm not sure they knew that at the time); an issue later in the year, after the series ended, had tributes from a variety of Japanese celebrities.
  • An "exchange of letters" with Chibi Maruko-chan author Momoko Sakura in her art book Momoko Sakura's Technicolor World in April 1995, with accompanying exchange illustrations, sort of a companion to her essay in one of the "Shenlong Times" pamphlets from the Daizenshuu;
  • A piece in Daizenshuu volume 4 talking about the vehicles Toriyama's used in Dragon Ball and their influences / real-life counterparts;
  • A discussion with One Piece author Ei'ichirō Oda in the first One Piece art book, Color Walk 1 (which already has an official English translation and a Greg translation, but of course we'd be doing our own if and when we get to it);
  • A multi-part Q&A about Dr. Slump in the "Monthly Dr. Slump News" pamphlet included with odd volumes of the Dr. Slump Kanzenban release, starting with No. 2 (packaged with volume 3, released on 02 November 2006), though I'm not sure how far it goes because I haven't tracked down any of the later volumes with this pamphlet still intact;
  • Two interviews done together with friend and collaborator Masakazu Katsura on the occasion of publishing Sachie-chan Gū!! (2008, Jump SQ. inaugural issue) and Jiya (2011, Young Jump), with the latter having had an official translation through Viz's Shōnen Jump Advanced;
  • A few things from earlier this year, including a talk with Shōko Nakagawa, the video conversation with Masako Nozawa where Toriyama's face is never shown (which we will get to, as Peking Duck was crazy enough to transcribe all of it), and an interview from the Battle of Gods movie guide; and
  • A Q&A from the most recent issue of V-Jump, which talks about Jaco the Galactic Patrolman and also Toriyama's life and habits more generally.
There's also interviews from the German magazine Banzai! and the Viz (monthly print-edition of) Shonen Jump, which we haven't added because they're not originally in Japanese. (Although, if someone could provide us with a fresh translation from the German, I suppose the Banzai! one could count....)

Add to that countless voice-actor interviews and staff things, and we have a pretty full docket. I'm just trying to be done with movie stuff by the end of the year.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

I found my copy of the Banzai! issue.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
  • An "exchange diary" with Chibi Maruko-chan author Momoko Sakura in her art book Momoko Sakura's Technicolor World in April 1995, with accompanying exchange illustrations, sort of a companion to her essay in one of the "Shenlong Times" pamphlets from the Daizenshuu.
Is that the one that comes in this book? I do know that it includes a neat original sketch by Toriyama in it, which sounds like the 'exchange illustration'.
SaiyaJedi wrote:
  • the video conversation with Masako Nozawa where Toriyama's face is never shown (which we will get to, as Peking Duck was crazy enough to transcribe all of it)
That's the one that played at The World of DRAGONBALL exhibition, correct? That will truly be a gem to have translated on the site! Were there any new interviews/messages in the World of DRAGONBALL exhibition's commemorative guide? The book isn't documented anywhere on the site yet, but I do know it has a Toriyama message, but it might simply be a BOG reprint.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote:
  • An "exchange diary" with Chibi Maruko-chan author Momoko Sakura in her art book Momoko Sakura's Technicolor World in April 1995, with accompanying exchange illustrations, sort of a companion to her essay in one of the "Shenlong Times" pamphlets from the Daizenshuu.
Is that the one that comes in this book? I do know that it includes a neat original sketch by Toriyama in it, which sounds like the 'exchange illustration'.
Indeed it is.
SaiyaJedi wrote:
  • the video conversation with Masako Nozawa where Toriyama's face is never shown (which we will get to, as Peking Duck was crazy enough to transcribe all of it)
That's the one that played at The World of DRAGONBALL exhibition, correct? That will truly be a gem to have translated on the site! Were there any new interviews/messages in the World of DRAGONBALL exhibition's commemorative guide? The book isn't documented anywhere on the site yet, but I do know it has a Toriyama message, but it might simply be a BOG reprint.
Nope; just the introduction, which we've already posted.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:07 am

Going back to the part of the original post asking about any Dragon Ball related articles from old WSJ, I just came across an old folder with a number of scans I saved out of interest.

There seems to be a comment from Akira Toriyama in this page. [WSJ 1992 #18]

What seems to be a small comment by Toriyama in the middle of the spread. [WSJ 1991 #16]

And for this one, maybe there is an interesting tidbit for the future DBZ movie 8 page. [WSJ 1992 #31]

This one seems to mention Battle Powers. Don't know if any of it is new or not. [WSJ 1990 #21_22]

I'm curious what the details are behind the commemorative phone card at the top. [WSJ 2011_07_17]

Some Toriyama material that I'm not currently familiar with. [WSJ 1990 #14]

A Toriyama tribute to Star Wars?? [WSJ 1999 #25]

I think that the credit for a few of these images goes to Peking Duck.

Also this looks like another Toriyama artist tribute in 25 Years With JOJO,

oldboy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by oldboy88 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 pm

not exactly an interview,
but a few citations.

Akira Toriyama visited germany in 2004 as part of the Frankfurter Buchmesse (book fair),
he signed autographs for a preselection of 200 visitors,
100 of them could win there chance via the march issue of the "Banzai!" mag,
and the other 100 directly at the book fair.

The "audience"was held splitted at the 27th and 28. March of 2004,
on 27.03.2004 at 17:00 he answered questions which were also preselected by the carlsen company (german db manga release),
carlsen collected questions from the fans via mail before since february ...

on this local news site are some citations
https://web.archive.org/web/20040813133 ... ml#absatz2
"Ich zeichne nach Laune."
Bei der Arbeit inspirieren lässt sich der Schöpfer von "Dragonball", "Dr. Slump" und "Sandland" sowie Familienvater durch Action-Filme etwa mit Jackie Chan. In Hoch-Zeiten habe er auch schon mal 23 Stunden am Tag gearbeitet, inzwischen seien es weniger: "Ich zeichne nach Laune." Eigentlich sei er ein "sehr, sehr fauler Mensch" und zeichne am liebsten allein und für Kinder.
"i draw as the whim takes me"
Inspiration at work for the creator of "Dragonball", "Dr. Slump" and "Sandland" and also father of a family, are action-movies for instance with jackie chan.
In high-times,he also once already worked 23 hours a day, by now he works less. "i draw as the whim takes me". Actually he is a "very, very lazy person" he says,
and draws preferably for himself and for children."

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:33 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:This one seems to mention Battle Powers. Don't know if any of it is new or not. [WSJ 1990 #21_22]
For me it's new! I never saw Freeza's BP of 52,220. I assume this was in the early Freeza Arc.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:This one seems to mention Battle Powers. Don't know if any of it is new or not. [WSJ 1990 #21_22]
For me it's new! I never saw Freeza's BP of 52,220. I assume this was in the early Freeza Arc.
Keep in mind that this was for the Carddass card game, however. Values for the game were not always terribly consistent with the series itself.

Proteus

Post by Proteus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:25 am

SSj_Rambo wrote: [*]A two-pager in the Jump Hero Retsuden game guide.
Hello to everybody here. :)
I was looking for some information about this pubblication, I found this entry in google.

I'm going to ask you if somebody in this forum actually owns a copy of this guide, please contact me. (the whole book, not just the scans of Toriyama's interview.)

Thank you very much for your attention.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote: [*]A few things from earlier this year, including a talk with Shōko Nakagawa,
Where was this? I'd like to check that out.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 am

Adamant wrote:
SaiyaJedi wrote: [*]A few things from earlier this year, including a talk with Shōko Nakagawa,
We put it up on the main site a few months back.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:42 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Adamant wrote:
We put it up on the main site a few months back.
What, I have to pay attention to the main site too now?

sorry
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!