Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 am

jrdemr wrote:I get why some people are holding off on buying the things until we're sure to get a complete release... but if more people think like that and hold off on buying, the less Viz knows that people ACTUALLY want them.
If Viz started releasing these at a normal rate or announced ahead of time how long each part will take then you wouldn't have people holding off on getting them.
Forte224 wrote:As soon as we know the Cell stuff is coming out I'll be onboard, despite not knowing 100% if Boo will ever be finished.
Even then that won't be enough for some people, including myself as I also want the original DB cause I don't want one part of the story in full color while the other is black and white.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 am

At this point, I'm surprised someone hasn't just gotten the Japanese digital copies, and just replace the untranslated text with Viz's text...
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am

Helios518 wrote:At this point, I'm surprised someone hasn't just gotten the Japanese digital copies, and just replace the untranslated text with Viz's text...
There are countless fan projects in various stages of retranslation and completion of things just like this... they're simply not done for wide distribution. Hell, even I've re-"scanlated" plenty of old stuff on my own simply for me, myself, and I based on new digital copies.

I'd wager people are more concerned about completing a/their physical collection, because it's certainly not like this kind of thing can't be done on one's own digitally.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Helios518 wrote:At this point, I'm surprised someone hasn't just gotten the Japanese digital copies, and just replace the untranslated text with Viz's text...
On a slightly off-subject note, when I compared my Full Colour books with the digital ViZ b/w release, while the script is exactly the same the actual formatting and layout of the text is different!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:46 pm

The Viz Panel is on Thursday then. They better announce the Android/Cell Arc at the very least.
They've kept us waiting years, literally years now. They refuse to say it's cancelled, so am hoping it continues. I want to sell my Vizbigs, but not until I know they're finishing the full colour series first.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Do we know why this takes so long to do? I mean, the art is all there, it's just text they've been using for years they need to transfer over. I know there's more to it than that, but this wait time is crazy.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:44 pm

Forte224 wrote:Do we know why this takes so long to do? I mean, the art is all there, it's just text they've been using for years they need to transfer over. I know there's more to it than that, but this wait time is crazy.
I agree that the wait time is crazy. There are three major changes over the original Japanese version though:

1) ViZ's version is actually much larger than the originals, as big as Shonen Jumps were
2) While the script is exactly the same, the actual formatting (including the exact font and its size) is completely original, so that has to all be redone again
3) There are extra pages at the back for translating the sound effects

Still doesn't add up to a year-long wait though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:36 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Do we know why this takes so long to do? I mean, the art is all there, it's just text they've been using for years they need to transfer over. I know there's more to it than that, but this wait time is crazy.
I agree that the wait time is crazy. There are three major changes over the original Japanese version though:

1) ViZ's version is actually much larger than the originals, as big as Shonen Jumps were
2) While the script is exactly the same, the actual formatting (including the exact font and its size) is completely original, so that has to all be redone again
3) There are extra pages at the back for translating the sound effects

Still doesn't add up to a year-long wait though.
The wait is most likely down to Shueisha dragging their feet on the licensing. Viz have to license each arc of Full Colour separately, meaning they almost certainly have to re-negotiate everything each time.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The wait is most likely down to Shueisha dragging their feet on the licensing. Viz have to license each arc of Full Colour separately, meaning they almost certainly have to re-negotiate everything each time.
I mean... if that's the case, then they could have just licensed more than one at the same time, so that on our end, it would look like one continuous release.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 pm

jrdemr wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:The wait is most likely down to Shueisha dragging their feet on the licensing. Viz have to license each arc of Full Colour separately, meaning they almost certainly have to re-negotiate everything each time.
I mean... if that's the case, then they could have just licensed more than one at the same time, so that on our end, it would look like one continuous release.
Yes, and in theory, Funimation could have licensed Final Chapters when it was being produced, and put it out when it was ready in 2014, so that on our end, it would look like Kai only took a few months' break.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:42 am

I've sincerely given up. At first, I really wanted these to the point where I started off my collection by obtaining all of "Dragon Ball" (pre-"Z") color mangas. They're pretty cool... But then I realize that I never really looked at them (outside of a general curiosity of how the color was integrated, that is) and think to myself that maybe I won't get the "Z" ones. Maybe one day I'll get the Japanese ones just to be consistent.

On a different note -- according to Rightstuf, they have Dragon Ball "omnibus" books. These omnibus books look oddly familiar... in the sense that they're the VizBigs. I'm curious if they removed all of the "VizBig" stuff from them or if it's identical under a new name online.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:35 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I've sincerely given up. At first, I really wanted these to the point where I started off my collection by obtaining all of "Dragon Ball" (pre-"Z") color mangas. They're pretty cool... But then I realize that I never really looked at them (outside of a general curiosity of how the color was integrated, that is) and think to myself that maybe I won't get the "Z" ones. Maybe one day I'll get the Japanese ones just to be consistent.
Understandable. Viz or Shueisha or whoever are being really idiotic by dragging their feet to this degree, and they really need to get their butts in gear.
The main reason I'm interested in the full colours is that they seem to be the most uncensored release we've had as a whole so far, so if that trend continues, we'll finally have a release of the manga that I can actually get behind enough to sink the huge amount of money in that it'll actually cost to buy the damn thing.
TheGreatness25 wrote:On a different note -- according to Rightstuf, they have Dragon Ball "omnibus" books. These omnibus books look oddly familiar... in the sense that they're the VizBigs. I'm curious if they removed all of the "VizBig" stuff from them or if it's identical under a new name online.
I think the "Omnibus" books are an older release from before or around the time of the original individual volumes.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:44 am

Robo4900 wrote:[spoiler]
TheGreatness25 wrote:On a different note -- according to Rightstuf, they have Dragon Ball "omnibus" books. These omnibus books look oddly familiar... in the sense that they're the VizBigs. I'm curious if they removed all of the "VizBig" stuff from them or if it's identical under a new name online.
[/spoiler]
I think the "Omnibus" books are an older release from before or around the time of the original individual volumes.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I just found it interesting that they use the covers from the VizBigs.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:53 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I just found it interesting that they use the covers from the VizBigs.
Oh. No, those are definitely just the VizBigs but mislabelled. :lol:

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 am

Finally received Volumes 4 and 5. Your move, VIZ.

Their panel is today, right?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm

That's it. Didn't announce it. It has to be cancelled, it's getting beyond ridiculous now.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:17 pm

If they didn't announce it today, then it's pretty much officially dead at this point.

They've had more than enough time to deliberate. If they didn't announce it this year, then they're not going to do it.

Shame. It was by far the best edition they've ever put out and now it's just been dropped at a mere 25% completion.

Wonder if the translator's arrest had anything to do with the decision?...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm

jrdemr wrote:If they didn't announce it today, then it's pretty much officially dead at this point.

They've had more than enough time to deliberate. If they didn't announce it this year, then they're not going to do it.
It's not dead yet, I don't think. I think Shueisha are probably just dragging their feet on licensing TBH.
jrdemr wrote:Wonder if the translator's arrest had anything to do with the decision?...
Translation and such was done over 10 years ago; the only work to be done on Full Colour is to adjust the visuals, typeset, and put the speech in the bubbles. All the dialogue and such is already translated and ready to go.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
jrdemr wrote:If they didn't announce it today, then it's pretty much officially dead at this point.

It's not dead yet, I don't think. I think Shueisha are probably just dragging their feet on licensing TBH.
Do you think they're doing that to drive people towards Super instead?