Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by jrdemr » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 am

sintzu wrote:I don't think that'll be enough for them to not release it. all the'd have to do is give it a higher rating or put some kind of warning on it. I think the main reaosn why they might not release it is because they'll be worried about it not selling.
You speak as if Viz was an (entirely) reasonable company.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 am

If VIZ ever gets to the Cell arc, I truly hope they include the Trunks - The Story - chapter in one of the volumes. The lack of it is by far the biggest flaw in the Japanese print release of the Full Color manga.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 am

omegalucas wrote:If VIZ ever gets to the Cell arc, I truly hope they include the Trunks - The Story - chapter in one of the volumes. The lack of it is by far the biggest flaw in the Japanese print release of the Full Color manga.
If we do get it, it'll be the same as it was in Japan, more or less. We definitely won't get a bonus chapter that they didn't. It's not that big of a deal, though, you can just pick up the tankobon with that chapter. Z Volume 18, is it?

It's a nothing little chapter, anyway. You won't miss it even if you don't read it at all.
Retired.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:25 am

I just so happened to see the Saiyan arc part 1 in full colour the other day in WH Smith so I picked it up, I'll try and get the rest because I love how they're (basically forced into) using the original Japanese sound effects and mostly uncensored artwork, making this probably the best DB release that Viz has done (maybe one day they'll give the Tankobon release the same treatment they give to other series...not likely though sadly...), anyway I'll be sure to pick up the rest of the copies and I'll stop collecting the 3-in-1s because of the way they've been handled (I mean I only ever got the first one but yeah), I really hope they manage to get to the boyhood arc in full colour but if they don't then I guess I'll get the first half of the series in the single volume releases so I have the full manga in one form or another. At the very least I hope they get to the end of the Majin Boo arc in full colour.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 am

omegalucas wrote:If VIZ ever gets to the Cell arc, I truly hope they include the Trunks - The Story - chapter in one of the volumes. The lack of it is by far the biggest flaw in the Japanese print release of the Full Color manga.
100% agreed. I recently had to buy Kanzenban volume 34 exclusively because it was the only edition that had that chapter (partially) in color.

However, I'm not holding out much hope that they will include it. VIZ generally sticks to what the Japanese do. They did increase the print size of the English edition, but I think that's as far as they're going to go.

(God, why didn't Shuueisha include that chapter? It makes no bloody sense. It's just one measly chapter and they even included one entire page on Android arc volume 6... just to tell us to buy the Tankoubon or the Kanzenban if we wanted to read the chapter :roll: )

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:35 am

jrdemr wrote:
100% agreed. I recently had to buy Kanzenban volume 34 exclusively because it was the only edition that had that chapter (partially) in color.

However, I'm not holding out much hope that they will include it. VIZ generally sticks to what the Japanese do. They did increase the print size of the English edition, but I think that's as far as they're going to go.

(God, why didn't Shuueisha include that chapter? It makes no bloody sense. It's just one measly chapter and they even included one entire page on Android arc volume 6... just to tell us to buy the Tankoubon or the Kanzenban if we wanted to read the chapter :roll: )
It makes no sense at all. They colored the chapter for the digital edition. Also, volume 6 isn't even 17 chapters long.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:12 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's a nothing little chapter, anyway. You won't miss it even if you don't read it at all.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just an outline for the TV special.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 pm

sintzu wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's a nothing little chapter, anyway. You won't miss it even if you don't read it at all.
Indeed. But it's part of the manga. And I want to have it all in the maximum quality.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

sintzu wrote:
You give Toriyama too much credit. If the anime staff just wanted an outline of the story, that's exactly what he would do: just an outline with maybe a few character designs thrown in there, just like he does for Super now. He probably genuinely wanted to tell this story, but couldn't be bothered enough to make more than one chapter, hence why it's so rushed. The anime staff just grabbed what material they had and expanded (beautifully) upon it.

The anime staff also previously made the Bardock special but didn't bother to ask or wait for him to write a bonus chapter then, which makes it seem all the more likely that Toriyama wrote this specific chapter because he genuinely wanted to.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Anyone think Viz'll include it in the digital version?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Anyone think Viz'll include it in the digital version?
If it wasn't released digitally in Japan then chances are it won't here.

I guess if fans ask enough they might but I don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

sintzu wrote:
If it wasn't released digitally in Japan then chances are it won't here.

I guess if fans ask enough they might but I don't think there's a lot of demand for it.
But it was released digitally in Japan. That's why we know there even is a full color version of that chapter.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
I don't know if it was actually made for the special, but yeah. Think Toyo's DBS Chapter 4, it's around that caliber, nothing special. If you've seen the tv version, you're good, even though there is a difference or two.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:But it was released digitally in Japan. That's why we know there even is a full color version of that chapter.
Thus why I asked. The Viz digital Full Colours have so far seemed to just be digital versions of the print versions, but we don't know that for a fact, so it's a bit of a question mark.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Almost 100% sure they won't. Their digital versions (so far) are only mere copies of the print ones, so if it's not in print, than more than likely they also won't include it in the digital version.

It's true that the bonus chapter was included in the Japanese digital colored edition, but it's quite a different edition from the print one. For instance, the chapter count doesn't restart with each arc, we have all the chapter title pages and the number of chapters included in each volume is very different. It's basically just a colorized tankoubon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I don't know if it was actually made for the special, but yeah.
The reason I think it was written as an outline for the special is because of Toriyama's comment on it.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/extra/

"A Dragon Ball Z TV special based on this week’s Trunks one-shot is planned for broadcast within the year".

What I think might've happened is that Toei showed him their outline for the story so he liked it and turned it into a small special for Jump's double week.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm hoping, to keep on line with Super, that Viz fixes Majin Boos name like they altered Cargos name in the Full Color Manga.

And Vegerot, for Vegetto

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:52 pm

simtek34 wrote:I'm hoping, to keep on line with Super, that Viz fixes Majin Boos name like they altered Cargos name in the Full Color Manga.

And Vegerot, for Vegetto
Me too. They "fixed" it for Super's manga after all.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm

simtek34 wrote:I'm hoping, to keep on line with Super, that Viz fixes Majin Boos name like they altered Cargos name in the Full Color Manga.

And Vegerot, for Vegetto
I don't mind Vegerot, as honestly it makes a lot more sense since they use Kakarot instead of Kakarotto. Although it'd they could probably fix this entire mess by just adding a couple of extra lines from him when he first appears along the lines of "What shall I call myself?... Perhaps Vegetoku? Hmm... That's a little clunky. How about Vegeto? Yeah... That sounds about right."
But for Majin Boo, yeah, 100%. They need to do that. They should also revert Hercule to Mr. Satan, and Herculopolis to Satan City.

I bet they won't do that, though. They'll use the same censored, messy, inconsistent translation they've been using since the Tankobon volumes. After all, from what I hear, they still used the "!!!" instead of "Damn!" from Raditz in that one part in the Saiyan arc.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:16 am

Skimmed through a portion of one of the Frieza arc volumes of this release and hated it. The colours all looked sorta flat, the book itself is unreasonably big, and they changed the colour of the kamehameha. If I felt like buying the dragonball manga I would definitely stick with the 3 in 1 releases instead of this.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta