Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by jrdemr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Sad. All I can say is just "sad".

Viz finally does something better than the Japanese themselves and they just drop it after 8 volumes.

Shameful. Just shameful. I can barely muster the words.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:34 am

jrdemr wrote:Sad. All I can say is just "sad".

Viz finally does something better than the Japanese themselves and they just drop it after 8 volumes.

They didn't say anything about not releasng the rest of it. Before the Freeza arc was announced a lot of people thought it wouldn't because of how long it took them to do so.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:43 am

Pretty unrelated, but they announced that they're releasing a "Fullmetal Edition" of Fullmetal Alchemist, which appears to be the FMA Kanzenban with an updated translation.

I think I speak for us all when I say that I wish Dragon Ball would get this kind of release from Viz. (Not that I have anything against Fullmetal Alchemist. In fact, this will likely be a day-one purchase for me)
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:Pretty unrelated, but they announced that they're releasing a "Fullmetal Edition" of Fullmetal Alchemist, which appears to be the FMA Kanzenban with an updated translation.

I think I speak for us all when I say that I wish Dragon Ball would get this kind of release from Viz. (Not that I have anything against Fullmetal Alchemist. In fact, this will likely be a day-one purchase for me)
Eh. Fullmetal Alchemist was overdue for a re-release. That you couldn't buy such an iconic series in high-quality format was always a shame. The translation also had consistency problems, from what I understand (I never bought the whole thing, glad I didn't now.)

Dragon Ball... I guess it could use updating, but the Vizbigs and Full Color already work as a high-quality collection. The translation is all fine aside from a quirky few chapters at the beginning of both the DB and Z releases. Censorship is really the only thing that I could say needs to be fixed, but even that's only on principle. What we have is absolutely fine. The only great boon we'd get from a retranslated, high-quality Kanzenban release is the updated ending, which I personally enjoy more than the original.
Retired.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:06 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:Pretty unrelated, but they announced that they're releasing a "Fullmetal Edition" of Fullmetal Alchemist, which appears to be the FMA Kanzenban with an updated translation.

Eh. Fullmetal Alchemist was overdue for a re-release. That you couldn't buy such an iconic series in high-quality format was always a shame. The translation also had consistency problems, from what I understand (I never bought the whole thing, glad I didn't now.)

Dragon Ball... I guess it could use updating, but the Vizbigs and Full Color already work as a high-quality collection. The translation is all fine aside from a quirky few chapters at the beginning of both the DB and Z releases. Censorship is really the only thing that I could say needs to be fixed, but even that's only on principle. What we have is absolutely fine. The only great boon we'd get from a retranslated, high-quality Kanzenban release is the updated ending, which I personally enjoy more than the original.
You can say that the Dragon Ball translation is "all fine" as it is, but I can't say that it's better than Fullmetal Alchemist's by any means. I certainly don't think this re-translation is any more warranted than one for Dragon Ball would be.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 am

sintzu wrote:
jrdemr wrote:Sad. All I can say is just "sad".

They didn't say anything about not releasng the rest of it. Before the Freeza arc was announced a lot of people thought it wouldn't because of how long it took them to do so.
True. But they also never said anything about not continuing Reborn!, Gintama or Strawberry 100%. And they still didn't.

If you look at it this way, every single year since the Dragon Ball Full Colors were originally released in Japan, we had something. 2013 we had the announcement for the Saiyan arc. Then in 2014 we got it. It did take a while, but in 2015, they finally announced the Freeza arc and we got it in 2016 (the last volume came out in 2017). This is the first year since the edition first came out where we had nothing. Absolutely nothing. I mean, of course they might still announce it at some point, but right now, I'm not going to raise my hopes. They've had plenty of time to think whether they want to continue or not and they've always announced the acquisition of more Dragon Ball Full Color at Anime Expo.

I mean, I hope you're right... but I'm not really expecting anything at this point.

Such a shame. This specific edition, with its larger print, made Toriyama's art pop out so much more and now... we're left with only got 25% of it. Really, it's just sad.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:26 am

Very disappointed with the uncertain future of these. I really love this release for the colour and the size, despite the lazy port of the translation from their original release, so I really want to buy the full set. Unfortunately I can't start buying them until I know the whole series (including pre-Z) is going to be released, since I'm not interested in an incomplete release.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:58 am

Fizzer wrote:I can't start buying them until I know the whole series (including pre-Z) is going to be released, since I'm not interested in an incomplete release.
This is exactly why I haven't bought them yet. I won't mind buying DB in the viz big format but I don't want that then full color Saiyan and Freeza arcs then back to viz bigs for Cell and Buu. Hopefully they'll at least release the rest of Z in the colored format.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:17 pm

sintzu wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I can't start buying them until I know the whole series (including pre-Z) is going to be released, since I'm not interested in an incomplete release.
This is exactly why I haven't bought them yet. I won't mind buying DB in the viz big format but I don't want that then full color Saiyan and Freeza arcs then back to viz bigs for Cell and Buu. Hopefully they'll at least release the rest of Z in the colored format.
I mean the only way they'll announce more are if sales are good so if you ain't buying it just translates to Viz that people aren't interested.

At the very least the Saiyan and Freeza arc are complete, so it's not a total loss investing in these.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I mean the only way they'll announce more are if sales are good so if you ain't buying it just translates to Viz that people aren't interested.
I'm buying other stuff like One Piece which isn't complete but the difference is that I know it will be so I don't have a problem investing in it as it's released but this on the other hand seems like it either won't be completed or it'll take a very long time.

Even if they don't release as fast as I think they should, just them saying they will eventuall will be enough for me to start buing them but so far they haven't done that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Fizzer wrote:Very disappointed with the uncertain future of these. I really love this release for the colour and the size, despite the lazy port of the translation from their original release, so I really want to buy the full set. Unfortunately I can't start buying them until I know the whole series (including pre-Z) is going to be released, since I'm not interested in an incomplete release.
It's not like a standalone product, you can buy the Full Color, and supplement with the Vizbigs. If you're sticking with the attitude you are now, you aren't supporting the release, meaning that it's just that much more likely that the Full Color release won't continue.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not like a standalone product, you can buy the Full Color, and supplement with the Vizbigs. If you're sticking with the attitude you are now, you aren't supporting the release, meaning that it's just that much more likely that the Full Color release won't continue.
Except then you're buying doubles, which is a pretty big waste of money; not everyone can drop $100 on 5 huge, thick books they're going to replace with a more convenient, and probably even more expensive release.

Anyway, the VizBigs aren't available digitally.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not like a standalone product, you can buy the Full Color, and supplement with the Vizbigs. If you're sticking with the attitude you are now, you aren't supporting the release, meaning that it's just that much more likely that the Full Color release won't continue.
Except then you're buying doubles, which is a pretty big waste of money.
If you want to go by my template without double dipping, all you have to is skip the first 4 Z Vizbigs and buy Z Single Volume 12, then continue from Z Vizbig 5 till the end of the series. There's an overlap of a few chapters between FC Freeza #5 and Z Single #12, but nothing significant. If more Full Colors come along later, it's not very hard to sell the manga on ebay either, so you can always go that route. It's just a little silly waiting for this one release to finish when it's never been a guarantee. No matter what, if you want a future for the Full Colored volumes, waiting to purchase until it's done is only crippling the chance of itt happening. You have to vote with your dollars.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:If you want to go by my template without double dipping, all you have to is skip the first 4 Z Vizbigs and buy Z Single Volume 12, then continue from Z Vizbig 5 till the end of the series. There's an overlap of a few chapters between FC Freeza #5 and Z Single #12, but nothing significant. If more Full Colors come along later, it's not very hard to sell the manga on ebay either, so you can always go that route. It's just a little silly waiting for this one release to finish when it's never been a guarantee. No matter what, if you want a future for the Full Colored volumes, waiting to purchase until it's done is only crippling the chance of itt happening. You have to vote with your dollars.
Except I'd rather not vote for Viz's current strategy. The Full Colours still haven't corrected any of the weird translation oddities, and they're still using the censored dialogue, they're stretching the releases out as far as they can manage, they've skipped the first 194 chapters...

Given how expensive this release is, I'm not willing to buy it until either they have the first third of the story out, or they start releasing at a reasonable pace. Otherwise I'm buying a release that's more expensive than the VizBigs, is still releasing and at an excessively slow pace, and so far only covers about a third of the overall story. Meanwhile, the VizBigs are a full, consistent release that's already out, and covers the entire story for less money. Or there's the digital volumes, which are more expensive, but are about £5 a volume, and all conveniently go straight to my Kindle. It's more expensive than the VizBigs, and may even end up a little more than the Full Colours, but it's complete, consistent, convenient, and it's based off the earlier, less censored printings of the books.

For me personally: I don't mind waiting, I've got a million other things to do, and I've already watched the anime a number of times.
For how much the manga would cost to read, I want to wait and be damn sure I'm making the right choice, and I want to read from the very beginning. So far, the Full Colours look good, but why should I bother buying the new releases as they come out if I'm not going to be reading them for upwards of 5 years, by which time all the prices will have gone down?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So far, the Full Colours look good, but why should I bother buying the new releases as they come out if I'm not going to be reading them for upwards of 5 years, by which time all the prices will have gone down?
Because if you're thinking that way, so are hundreds of others, meaning there's that much less financial incentive to release them at all. If you aren't particular about the Full Color release either way, that's one thing, but for those whose primary interest is in this specific version, it's silly and counterproductive to wait.
Retired.

CarlosAlba87

Post by CarlosAlba87 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi guys,
First of all let me introduce myself.
My name is Carlos, I'm writing you from Spain so, sorry in advance for my english :P.
I have been reading your post from long time ago and now i have decided to register and post my point of view.
Me , as European and more exactly, as Spanish, have to say that the Viz Media Full Color Edition is the BEST edition i have ever seen, including of course the DB Full color spanish edition.
I already have these three editions (not my personal pictures i just googled it, i will post my collection if you are interested in anyway)

The first one englobes more than 200 individual comics, is absolutly awesome, in Spain every colection usually have this kind of release and after that, they release a compilation like the one viz media usually do , currently they are doing the same with DBS which is great

Second one is like the Viz Media DB First Edition

And the last one is a mix between the previous one and full color edition, and also they have fixed some issues with the traslation and the way of reading is like yours too.

I have said this because once i knew there were a color edition on the way, i really thought about buying it, but really guys, the european full color edition is CRAP comparing it with the Viz Media edition.
I have been talking with the Viz Media team and they always answer my mails with the same sentence " glad to hear this, we will update you with any news about new releases, by the moment no news. bye"
I agree with some of you about the reason why they are not releasing the rest of the collection, and thats because this editions are not having good numbers in the market.

CarlosAlba87

Post by CarlosAlba87 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Of course, and thanks to amazon, i was be able to purchase the 8 books of the viz media full color edition and i dont regret even if they dont release no more ( hope they will )

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Welcome to the forums. Don't worry about communicating, we can read you perfectly well.
Retired.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:51 pm

I love the color editions, I really hope Viz continues them.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 am

I don't know if this means anything but i just checked the viz site and they have Freeza arc Volume 5 listed as Final Volume.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: