Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:12 pm

omegalucas wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
omegalucas wrote:The binding just sucks a bit though.
Y'know, this isn't the first time I've heard that complaint, but I've never had a problem with it. Same with the Vizbig's. I've come to think it's more that people don't properly support their bindings when reading than anything else.
I just noticed it on my first volume, as one page binding didn't have much glue. It slided a bit, if I was reading a nearby page the book would slide and open on the page of the bad binding. Not that it was a big problem as I was always extra careful handling the book.
I've never had anything like that happen. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Retired.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I've never had anything like that happen. Maybe I've just been lucky.
It was just that one. The rest of the volumes I own seem sturdier, despite apparently having less glue in the binding.

I find a downside to the size though. It is a bit harder to handle when reading, comparing to Viz's Tankobon sized relases (although the Japanese full color release was difficult to handle as well despite being Tankobon sized... pretty sure the extra tight binding was the culprit).
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 pm

In theory, I quite like the fact these books are much bigger. Means the art is huge, making it easier to see and appreciate Toriyama's excellent artwork. :)

I don't personally own the full colours myself, but having big hands, I never find large books to be a problem.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:In theory, I quite like the fact these books are much bigger. Means the art is huge, making it easier to see and appreciate Toriyama's excellent artwork. :)

I don't personally own the full colours myself, but having big hands, I never find large books to be a problem.
The art in the Full Colors really does look beautiful blown up the way it is. I don't know if I'd want the original manga this big (I guess that's what the Digest Edition was for), but the size really complements the colors, in my opinion.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:In theory, I quite like the fact these books are much bigger. Means the art is huge, making it easier to see and appreciate Toriyama's excellent artwork. :)

The art in the Full Colors really does look beautiful blown up the way it is. I don't know if I'd want the original manga this big (I guess that's what the Digest Edition was for), but the size really complements the colors, in my opinion.
It works, it's just inconvenient for someone without much space, like me.
Retired.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It works, it's just inconvenient for someone without much space, like me.
That's a fair point. I actually had to put it on the bottom of my bookshelf, since it was the only shelf tall enough.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Someone should ask them if they have plans to eventually do Boo, and -- most importantly -- the boyhood-era stuff.
I'd ask about the whole DB part but why Buu ? it's part of Z so they'll eventually release it after Cell.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:27 am

Of course Viz is going to do Boo. The whole reason they've taken so long to release each arc is probably so they can take their sweet time replacing every instance of the word "Satan" in the art.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:Of course Viz is going to do Boo. The whole reason they've taken so long to release each arc is probably so they can take their sweet time replacing every instance of the word "Satan" in the art.
Or... Here's some wishful thinking, fixing the mistakes??? I don't get why Orange Star High is called Herculeopolis High to begin with?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 am

You guys are talking about Boo... but they haven't announced Cell yet, have they?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:41 pm

omegalucas wrote:You guys are talking about Boo... but they haven't announced Cell yet, have they?
Nope, but I can't see why they would do the Androids unless Freeza did atrociously. Boo and pre-Z is debatable, but surely we'll finish the Cell Games. Although unfortunately, it's very unlikely that we'll get the Trunks bonus chapter. Luckily, it's not too big of a loss.
Retired.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon May 01, 2017 12:52 pm

I decided to try my luck
which I obviously don't have. They still don't know anything.

Saiyan arc announced in 2013 at Anime Expo and released in 2014.
Freeza arc announced in 2015 at Anime Expo and released in 2016/2017.

Going by their pattern, I fear Cell arc will only be announced next year at Anime Expo and start getting released in 2019.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Saiyan arc announced in 2013 at Anime Expo and released in 2014.

Going by their pattern, I fear Cell arc will only be announced next year at Anime Expo and start getting released in 2019.
If they have been consistently announcing it one year and then releasing it in the following year, then (with any luck) they should be announcing the Android arc this year, regardless of whether the Freeza saga also finished this year (it was just the final volume anyway).

(I still think Viz is way too slow announcing and releasing things. France announced Super after Viz and still got it out earlier. Wish they would just license the whole thing at once, or at least just keep on printing it and then pulling the plug if it turns out not to be doing well.)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 07, 2017 10:37 am

jrdemr wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Saiyan arc announced in 2013 at Anime Expo and released in 2014.

If they have been consistently announcing it one year and then releasing it in the following year, then (with any luck) they should be announcing the Android arc this year, regardless of whether the Freeza saga also finished this year (it was just the final volume anyway).

(I still think Viz is way too slow announcing and releasing things. France announced Super after Viz and still got it out earlier. Wish they would just license the whole thing at once, or at least just keep on printing it and then pulling the plug if it turns out not to be doing well.)
Viz are releasing Super volume 2 in Dec meanwhile some European countries are releasing as early as July! People say it's Shuiesha but Viz have a habbit of slow releases it seems, been seeing people complaining that their HxH anime sets are being released slowly. Smh.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Viz are releasing Super volume 2 in Dec meanwhile some European countries are releasing as early as July! People say it's Shuiesha but Viz have a habbit of slow releases it seems, been seeing people complaining that their HxH anime sets are being released slowly. Smh.
Although it feels really slow, four months between sets 1 and 2 really isn't too bad. I'm sure they're also trying to keep the releases behind the broadcast. If people really want to talk about Viz being slow, look at their Bleach Blu-ray sets. Six months between set 1 and 2 for a show that's been done and over with and isn't even airing on TV. It's been four months since set 2 and they haven't even announced a date for set 3. They really should take a page out Funi's book and be releasing a set a month like Buu Kai.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Viz are releasing Super volume 2 in Dec meanwhile some European countries are releasing as early as July! People say it's Shuiesha but Viz have a habbit of slow releases it seems, been seeing people complaining that their HxH anime sets are being released slowly. Smh.
Although it feels really slow, four months between sets 1 and 2 really isn't too bad. I'm sure they're also trying to keep the releases behind the broadcast. If people really want to talk about Viz being slow, look at their Bleach Blu-ray sets. Six months between set 1 and 2 for a show that's been done and over with and isn't even airing on TV. It's been four months since set 2 and they haven't even announced a date for set 3. They really should take a page out Funi's book and be releasing a set a month like Buu Kai.
Damn I didn't know that about Bleach re-release being that slow! Anyway as you FUNi were able to to breeze past Kai so doubt Toonami have a say so if it is something to do with broadcast I guess it's to do with the licensor then. Speaking of FUNi they have gotten smart with release schedules evee since that DBOX/Kai/Level Set debacle.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:Six months between set 1 and 2 for a show that's been done and over with and isn't even airing on TV.
They don't have as many shows as Funimation so it makes since to hold on to a big name like that as long as possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:02 pm

It appears Viz won't be announcing more Full Color during their panel at Anime Expo.
I have no idea what the hold up is here - the series is very popular, but Viz just don't seem interested.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:15 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:It appears Viz won't be announcing more Full Color during their panel at Anime Expo.
I have no idea what the hold up is here - the series is very popular, but Viz just don't seem interested.
How popular is the manga really, though? Comics in general are in the tank as far as the west goes, and these Full Color releases can't be cheap to print. It's entirely reasonable for them not to continue. My default assumption was that they'd quit after the Cell games due to the long-standing censorship tradition with the series that would likely be impossible to continue past that point, but I'm not surprised that they aren't continuing passed Freeza, either.
Retired.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:It appears Viz won't be announcing more Full Color during their panel at Anime Expo.
How popular is the manga really, though? Comics in general are in the tank as far as the west goes, and these Full Color releases can't be cheap to print. It's entirely reasonable for them not to continue. My default assumption was that they'd quit after the Cell games due to the long-standing censorship tradition with the series that would likely be impossible to continue past that point, but I'm not surprised that they aren't continuing passed Freeza, either.
The Dragon Ball manga can sell! Just put Batman into it, the guy starring in the highest selling comic month to month :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):