Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Viz's Print Edition of the "Full Colour Comics" Discussion

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 am

Octorockandroll wrote:Skimmed through a portion of one of the Frieza arc volumes of this release and hated it. The colours all looked sorta flat, the book itself is unreasonably big, and they changed the colour of the kamehameha. If I felt like buying the dragonball manga I would definitely stick with the 3 in 1 releases instead of this.
I had the same opinion at first, but the colors grew on me after a while.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:42 am

Octorockandroll wrote:Skimmed through a portion of one of the Frieza arc volumes of this release and hated it. The colours all looked sorta flat, the book itself is unreasonably big, and they changed the colour of the kamehameha. If I felt like buying the dragonball manga I would definitely stick with the 3 in 1 releases instead of this.
I'd suggest the VizBigs or the individual volumes if you don't want the Full Colours(VizBigs are usually the cheapest option, with no particularly objectionable censorship that isn't already on all other releases; individual volumes are the most widely available), but remember, the Full Colours are the least censored DB manga release we've ever had, as there's no visual censorship at all, aside from Popo's lips being reduced in size.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:44 am

Robo4900 wrote:
I'd suggest the VizBigs or the individual volumes if you don't want the Full Colours(VizBigs are usually the cheapest option, with no particularly objectionable censorship that isn't already on all other releases; individual volumes are the most widely available), but remember, the Full Colours are the least censored DB manga release we've ever had, as there's no visual censorship at all, aside from Popo's lips being reduced in size.
The 3-in-1's are the least censored, but they're pieces of shit, Vizbigs are the high-quality censored release. I'd still recommend them, though.
Retired.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The 3-in-1's are the least censored, but they're pieces of shit, Vizbigs are the high-quality censored release. I'd still recommend them, though.
Agreed, but you're wrong about the censorship; the 3-in-1s are packed with censorship, particlarly in the final few volumes(Firearms digitally altered to be laster rifles, #17s handgun edited out entirely, middle fingers being changed to index fingers, etc.), meanwhile the only visual censorship in the Full Colours are Popo's lips.

Granted, the translation is censored in the Full Colours, but it's censored in the 3-in-1s too.
What you say about the VizBigs is basically right, though. From what I can tell, they seem to be fairly light on censorship(Nothing too objectionable, but they are censored), but they're reasonably priced, the printing is really nice, and they actually include some of the original colour; the only English release to do so, if I'm not mistaken.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The 3-in-1's are the least censored, but they're pieces of shit, Vizbigs are the high-quality censored release. I'd still recommend them, though.
Agreed, but you're wrong about the censorship; the 3-in-1s are packed with censorship, particlarly in the final few volumes(Firearms digitally altered to be laster rifles, #17s handgun edited out entirely, middle fingers being changed to index fingers, etc.), meanwhile the only visual censorship in the Full Colours are Popo's lips.

Granted, the translation is censored in the Full Colours, but it's censored in the 3-in-1s too.
What you say about the VizBigs is basically right, though. From what I can tell, they seem to be fairly light on censorship(Nothing too objectionable, but they are censored), but they're reasonably priced, the printing is really nice, and they actually include some of the original colour; the only English release to do so, if I'm not mistaken.
He's not really wrong. Yeah, the 3-in-1s retain a lot of censorship, but as of right now they are the least visually censored release of the entire series.

Once the Full Colors are done, they will likely be the least censored, but until then, it's the 3-in-1s. Despite the censorship, I'd still recommend the Vizbigs over any other completed release.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:and they changed the colour of the kamehameha.
The Kamehameha was never blue to begin with as far as the manga is concerned. In fact, in what I think was the only full color chapter it appeared in, it was white. And white isn't exactly the most interesting color choice for the "full color" manga, so that, IMO, is probably why they went with yellow, a very generic ki/energy color. And logically speaking that makes sense seeing as how the Kamehameha is basically a glorified ki blast, as are most attacks in Dragon Ball. Granted the FC manga isn't exactly known for being consistent with its choices.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Tyro wrote:
The Kamehameha was never blue to begin with as far as the manga is concerned. In fact, in what I think was the only full color chapter it appeared in, it was white. And white isn't exactly the most interesting color choice for the "full color" manga, so that, IMO, is probably why they went with yellow, a very generic ki/energy color. And logically speaking that makes sense seeing as how the Kamehameha is basically a glorified ki blast, as are most attacks in Dragon Ball. Granted the FC manga isn't exactly known for being consistent with its choices.
Maybe saying they changed it is a little disingenuous, but I still do not like it at all. In all the anime and games (except budokai 1) that I can recall it was always blue. It may not have started that way, but now its ubiquitous. I mean, Trunks' Ultimate Super Saiyan form was originally given red hair, but I don't think anyone would prefer that over the now traditional colour.

"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:I mean, Trunks' Ultimate Super Saiyan form was originally given red hair, but I don't think anyone would prefer that over the now traditional colour.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I guess I'm one of the few who really liked it.
Retired.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Maybe saying they changed it is a little disingenuous, but I still do not like it at all. In all the anime and games (except budokai 1) that I can recall it was always blue. It may not have started that way, but now its ubiquitous. I mean, Trunks' Ultimate Super Saiyan form was originally given red hair, but I don't think anyone would prefer that over the now traditional colour.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
But you see, the page you posted is from the red and grey scale pallet of the full color chapter. Super Saiyan Grade 3 Trunks actually appears in full color at the very beginning of that chapter, and you can see that he has the standard golden Super Saiyan hair.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 am

Tyro wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:
Tyro wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
But you see, the page you posted is from the red and grey scale pallet of the full color chapter. Super Saiyan Grade 3 Trunks actually appears in full color at the very beginning of that chapter, and you can see that he has the standard golden Super Saiyan hair.

My point remains that if you're going to choose a colour for something that has a few different colour variations, it's probably in your best interest to go with the most accepted and recognised one.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:13 am

Just got my first Freeza Arc volume. The spine doesn't line up (in terms of height) with the Saiyan Arc Volume 2 I bought along with it. Is it just my copy or is it common to all Freeza Arc volumes?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:17 am

omegalucas wrote:Just got my first Freeza Arc volume. The spine doesn't line up (in terms of height) with the Saiyan Arc Volume 2 I bought along with it. Is it just my copy or is it common to all Freeza Arc volumes?
I think that's just you, dude, all of my 8 volumes line up perfectly.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:20 am

Makes sense. It looks like it's cropped around a centimeter below the others (or my Volume 2 is actually above, will have to compare at home with Saiyan Arc 1 and 3). It doesn't affect the art inside thankfully.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 pm

omegalucas wrote:Makes sense. It looks like it's cropped around a centimeter below the others (or my Volume 2 is actually above, will have to compare at home with Saiyan Arc 1 and 3). It doesn't affect the art inside thankfully.
That would drive me absolutely insane. I go nuts over shelf consistency and having something that looks off when it normally shouldn't be would prompt an immediate return and exchange for a proper copy. ...but I recognize that I'm batshit crazy over stuff like that, so no worries.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Turns out it was my Saiyan Arc Volume 2 that was misaligned. Might replace it, the cover has some discoloration as well.

Was reading Saiyan Arc Volume 3 and I noticed there IS an uncensored Popo in page 220. When his flashback with God starts, the top left panel has a Lil' Popo with his lips not erased. There is one as well on the back cover of the same volume, in one of the screenshots that go around the text and Vegeta.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:34 pm

omegalucas wrote:Turns out it was my Saiyan Arc Volume 2 that was misaligned. Might replace it, the cover has some discoloration as well.

Was reading Saiyan Arc Volume 3 and I noticed there IS an uncensored Popo in page 220. When his flashback with God starts, the top left panel has a Lil' Popo with his lips not erased. There is one as well on the back cover of the same volume, in one of the screenshots that go around the text and Vegeta.
Got an image? I don't own the Full Colors

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:20 pm

simtek34 wrote: Got an image? I don't own the Full Colors
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Lunaar wrote: That would drive me absolutely insane. I go nuts over shelf consistency and having something that looks off when it normally shouldn't be would prompt an immediate return and exchange for a proper copy. ...but I recognize that I'm batshit crazy over stuff like that, so no worries.
Just to reiterate, the volumes are all the same height, it's the printed stuff on the spine that is misaligned.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

omegalucas wrote:Just to reiterate, the volumes are all the same height, it's the printed stuff on the spine that is misaligned.
Yeah, I understood. It would still ruin me. I'm crazy, don't worry. :wave: The Popo on the back I can understand, but it's pretty funny they outright missed one inside.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Slight variations in alignment of spines across books is pretty unavoidable for paperbacks, as the books are machine trimmed after printing and binding and tolerances typically aren't super tight.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Any update on a Cell Saga release??
Hopefully it's not a 2 year wait again