Was the Oozaru form swept under the rug too soon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Flame Dragon
Regular

Was the Oozaru form swept under the rug too soon?

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:36 pm

I feel like it was replaced with Super Saiyan too soon, i would have liked to see it get more spotlight.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Was the Oozaru form swept under the rug too soon?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:I feel like it was replaced with Super Saiyan too soon, i would have liked to see it get more spotlight.
It existed for over half of the manga. It was an established thing way longer than Super Saiyan was, even if it didn't get used as much.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm glad it wasn't used all that much in the series. Oozaru is about as lame as Broly's moans and groans.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Yep, I wish it had been used more often than it was. If there's anything on GT that I liked, besides the intros/endings, it was the golden Oozaru. It just looked so cool. I wish some form of super saiyan oozaru had been used in Z at least once. Just make it with the excuse that a SS oozaru is more powerful than SSJ3 or something.

But it was like the oozaru form was simply forgotten as soon as the super saiyan transformation came out. I think none of the saiyans even had tails by the end of Z anymore. It's B.S.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Daimakku wrote:Yep, I wish it had been used more often than it was. If there's anything on GT that I liked, besides the intros/endings, it was the golden Oozaru. It just looked so cool. I wish some form of super saiyan oozaru had been used in Z at least once. Just make it with the excuse that a SS oozaru is more powerful than SSJ3 or something.

But it was like the oozaru form was simply forgotten as soon as the super saiyan transformation came out. I think none of the saiyans even had tails by the end of Z anymore. It's B.S.
You took the words write off my keyboard lol

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 pm

No it wasn't. You had the ENTIRE Dragonball series for Oozaru and a lot of the Saiyan Arc(Counting filler) had Oozaru. I think we had enough of Oozarus. Oozaru been used MUCH more than Super Saiyan and have been active longer. It's the same plot in Oozaru anyways. AIM FOR THE TAIL! Really after Saiyan Arc if any Saiayn went Oozaru it would have been a cheap plot as it's easy to counter. Anyways how would Oozaru fit into the plot anyways? Goten and Trunks most likely got their tails cut off or going by the Daizenshuu never had one. So it's no need for Oozaru. It's done.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:30 pm

I feel it doesn't make a lot of sense for Saiyans to have a tail if it's completely outclassed by SSJ and it's more of an hindrance. Kinda goes against the whole darwin evolutionism theory.
I'm glad at least the Oozaru was relevant again in GT, one of the greatest things about that series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Not really, no one can control the form expect for Vegeta anyways and if they used it again then it would go out of control. Besides, we got the Golden Oozaru in GT and the fight with SSj4 Goku vs. Bebi Oozaru was pretty much a rehash of Goku vs. Oozaru Vegeta in the Saiyan saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:48 pm

SSJ had nothing to do with it. Ozaru disappeared in, what, volume 3? It was absent for the rest of Dragon Ball and was only made relevant again by the revelation that Goku is a Saiyan. It was swept under the rug too quickly, but I'm not talking about DBZ.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:I feel like it was replaced with Super Saiyan too soon, i would have liked to see it get more spotlight.
It was discarded a bit to quickly I think. I understand why it was forgotten due to the pacing of the story, but a transformation that increases ones power 10 times seams too useful to be forgotten.

Vegeta didn't have his tail so he couldn't do it while on Namek. Toriyama seams to have stopped caring about tails, which means no more Oozaru.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:57 pm

dprez wrote:
It was discarded a bit to quickly I think. I understand why it was forgotten due to the pacing of the story, but a transformation that increases ones power 10 times seams too useful to be forgotten.

Vegeta didn't have his tail so he couldn't do it while on Namek. Toriyama seams to have stopped caring about tails, which means no more Oozaru.
Why have transformations with 10x that knocks you out when you revert(Unless...plot reasons) or you can't control(If you're not able to control it) when you can have SSJ that's much more stable(Though a bit angry). Besides Vegeta tail would't grow back that fast and I think Vegeta would't think the tail is useful anymore. Toriyama either thought SSJ was a better transformation(With a great reason) or he thought tails wasn't fun for the story no more.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:I'm glad it wasn't used all that much in the series. Oozaru is about as lame as Broly's moans and groans.
I'm the opposite...I like both.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:48 am

I wanna see an Oozaru/Oozaru battle.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:13 am

Eh, I'm kinda glad the Oozaru form became irrelevant quickly, just seemed like a King Kong ripoff.

Dolciano

Post by Dolciano » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:21 am

I personally believe that it was swept under the rug a bit too soon. It would've been nice it was used maybe once or twice again until Super Saiyan was used full-time.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:52 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Daimakku wrote:Yep, I wish it had been used more often than it was. If there's anything on GT that I liked, besides the intros/endings, it was the golden Oozaru. It just looked so cool. I wish some form of super saiyan oozaru had been used in Z at least once. Just make it with the excuse that a SS oozaru is more powerful than SSJ3 or something.

You took the words write off my keyboard lol
Lol :lol:

I dont know, that's probably because a lot of people feel that way too. Oozaru was forgotten too soon and too suddenly. After the Vegeta/Saiyan saga, it's like the form didn't even exist at all anymore.

And agreed with Kid Buu, an Oozaru/Oozaru fight would've been awesome.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:42 am

I don't think it was swept under the rug too soon, there's not much you can do with the Oozaru transformation and I think the five transformations we got are enough for it not to get boring. I think only the second time Gohan used it, and Vegeta's usage were anything special anyway.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:38 pm

I like the Oozaru because i like the idea of Saiyans as a savage and primitive race surviving by brute force. Also i think Saiyans look much better with the tail.
Kinda makes me wish Toriyama came up with his own SSJ+Oozaru form instead of relegating it to GT. :problem: