If you were a billionaire (DB related)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: If you were a billionaire (DB related)

Post by Blade » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:37 am

I think I'd definately want to invest in the franchise somehow - but I couldn't see myself funding or commissioning a vanity project. I think that would be kind of disrespectful to both the franchise and the fandom - despite my numerous gripes with the state of the latter.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 am

Blade wrote:I think I'd definately want to invest in the franchise somehow - but I couldn't see myself funding or commissioning a vanity project. I think that would be kind of disrespectful to both the franchise and the fandom - despite my numerous gripes with the state of the latter.
What do you mean by a vanity project? A sort of self-fanservice?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am

I'd buy the rights to the manga from Viz, then publish an annotated version with a fresh translation based on years of painstaking research. The content itself would be based on the Kanzenban release, but would undo some of the changes introduced there (such as standardizing Shuu's name as the initial "Soba") and explain others in-context. Title pages altered or replaced in the Kanzenban would be reverted to the most original versions by cross-referencing them with the original serialization in Weekly Shōnen Jump, so that each chapter bears its correct title page and chapters 5 and 86 have their original coloring. Interstitial pages from the tankōbon release (such as Toriyama's "Me Back Then" strips) would be kept where applicable, and other pages that would otherwise be blank would be filled in with color art from Weekly Jump covers and promotional illustrations by Akira Toriyama from that point in the series. Each volume would close out with a collection of quotes and Q&A answers from Akira Toriyama that help illuminate the content therein.

A man can dream, right?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:54 am

I would...

1. buy Toei Animation and sell the series to more countries.
2. make them produce a remake of the entire DB series with the best animation ever.
3. make Columbia release a complete soundtrack collection of the Kikuchi score and sell it worldwide.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 pm

I'd get the level sets completed and finished with the next ep previews and correct title cards, then try to gather as much of the original Ocean cast as I could and re dub the entire original series with a proper translation and no name or music changes but an english opening cover of Head Cha la.
Albeit I'd have a few re cast's here and there with better voice direction but it would be like if the DBZ series was the same quality as the ocean dub movies with Peter returning as Goku for the full run.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:20 pm

I love the series for what it is but I wonder if it would be possible to reboot the entire series into a more darker, plot-oriented anime. Removing the "Dragon Balls can bring people back to life" issue would already make the series more serious. Actually having people die, no snake way, no otherworld, have Goku's personality mirror Bardock's in a way. I wonder...would it work? Maybe as some sort of mature spinoff? I want to see it work, but I feel like maybe in the end it just wouldn't work. What do you guys think?
One World. 🌐 🕊

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:I love the series for what it is but I wonder if it would be possible to reboot the entire series into a more darker, plot-oriented anime. Removing the "Dragon Balls can bring people back to life" issue would already make the series more serious. Actually having people die, no snake way, no otherworld, have Goku's personality mirror Bardock's in a way. I wonder...would it work? Maybe as some sort of mature spinoff? I want to see it work, but I feel like maybe in the end it just wouldn't work. What do you guys think?
That would't be DragonBall then. Dragonball ain't Dark(Yes it has Dark times). It would be a whole different manga-anime and people would take as one. I'm sure some fans would't even say it's Dragonball anymore. Hell that would't even be Goku. You would have to re name Goku(The main character). Hell I don't think any type of money can pay Toriyama or Toei to make a story like that.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:30 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:I love the series for what it is but I wonder if it would be possible to reboot the entire series into a more darker, plot-oriented anime. Removing the "Dragon Balls can bring people back to life" issue would already make the series more serious. Actually having people die, no snake way, no otherworld, have Goku's personality mirror Bardock's in a way. I wonder...would it work? Maybe as some sort of mature spinoff? I want to see it work, but I feel like maybe in the end it just wouldn't work. What do you guys think?
That would't be DragonBall then. Dragonball ain't Dark(Yes it has Dark times). It would be a whole different manga-anime and people would take as one. I'm sure some fans would't even say it's Dragonball anymore. Hell that would't even be Goku. You would have to re name Goku(The main character). Hell I don't think any type of money can pay Toriyama or Toei to make a story like that.
Yeah that's what I thought, it wouldn't be Dragon Ball. It'd just be an anime/manga with the DB characters. It'd essentially be Dragonball Evolution all over again...it was just an idea I had in the back of my mind for some time now, but I see why it wouldn't work.
One World. 🌐 🕊

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I want less Sparking clones and more genre-diversity in DB console games. *
Kinda like Sagas could have been had it not sucked all 7 balls (then went to Namek for another 7).
If I've got a billion dollars to spare, yeah, I'd totally go there.

* I stopped paying attention to DBZ games at some point when the first character creator we got was a cheap-as-fish gimmick attached to "Raging Blast, only with more Quicktime Events". Granted, I stopped paying attention before said game came out, so I could have missed a lot, but I'd find that surprising. I wonder how far a billion dollars would go at stimulating the video game industry, or if I'd just be better off sticking it into some kinda production funding system contracted out to indie developers. I only half know what I'm talking about. I just want to play cool games, including DB-based ones.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I'd buy every single Dragon Ball Music CD, the Japanese Dragon Boxes, High Quality Figures, Japanese DBZ games CIB and so much more.

Probably, I would need to have a room for all plus my Gaming Room.

Yeah I wish. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Blade wrote:I think I'd definately want to invest in the franchise somehow - but I couldn't see myself funding or commissioning a vanity project. I think that would be kind of disrespectful to both the franchise and the fandom - despite my numerous gripes with the state of the latter.
What do you mean by a vanity project? A sort of self-fanservice?
No, a vanity project would be something like me paying Toei to produce a new series with my own premise or to my own specifications.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: If you were a millionaire (DB related)

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Quebaz wrote:Heck, we only had a censored DVD release of Dragon Ball (that contained several Spanish languages) and the first 9 Z Movies, nothing more than that.
Well, you also had the entire DBGT collection on cassettes and one volume (1-4) of DBGT on DVD (in France by Mangas Power but included the PT dub).

Salvat pretty much gave Portuguese fans the middle finger while the rest of Europe got DB/DBZ/DBGT/Films in decent or so condition.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:46 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Heck, we only had a censored DVD release of Dragon Ball (that contained several Spanish languages) and the first 9 Z Movies, nothing more than that.
Well, you also had the entire DBGT collection on cassettes and one volume (1-4) of DBGT on DVD (in France by Mangas Power but included the PT dub).

Salvat pretty much gave Portuguese fans the middle finger while the rest of Europe got DB/DBZ/DBGT/Films in decent or so condition.
I was strickly talking about DVDs here, I know about the VHS as I own some of them myself(they also released the 3 DB movies and double feature of 12/13 in VHS), It's just, they started out fine by releasing the first series in singles, but they ruined it up but not doing the other two.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Salvat was aware that they'd get screwed financially if they released 4 eps per DVD for 7.99€ or whatever the standard price is because people wouldn't be bothered to pay that for such a low amount of episodes.

Let's say the price's 7.99€ and 73 volumes to cover all 291 episodes would end up about: 583.27€ < for this much they'd be better off just buying the French Boxset, US Dragonbox Z or the original Japanese Dragonbox Z yeah they don't have the PT dub but overall they would be getting the superior release.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:14 pm

One of my first contacts with the Portuguese dub was a DVD my cousin had of that DB release. We saw that it contained Portuguese instead of Japanese, and we selected it. We had good laughs.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

cpuguy18

Post by cpuguy18 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I would buy the rights to Dragonball and profit off the franchise. Would do the same thing with One Piece too.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:47 pm

I'd want a proper remake of the anime, without any of the filler. Not even the Great Saiyaman filler I love so much.

I'd also want an English release of the Kanzenban with a new translation, on super duper high quality paper. And new guidebooks, not reprinting the Daizenshuu pages but still containing the same information and more (also with the errors corrected, like saying Tenshinhan fought Android 19).

And then I'd have Dimps create the BEST GAME EVER and maybe have Spike create a decent fanservice game.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Zantetsuken
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zantetsuken » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Redo the series from Dragonball to the end of Z and actually impliment some of the movies actually in the story and cut out some of the filler. I LOVE the Funimation music and the US voice acting, so that would stay and I would have to get some input into the Japanses side of things. I'd make it more true to the manga in some sense and change around some things to make the story flow better and maybe even add a few new things (with creative permission of course) tyo give old fans of the series something to look forward too.

Vice
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Vice » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Hire Madhouse to completely reanimate the series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:42 pm

kei17 wrote:I would...

1. buy Toei Animation and sell the series to more countries.
2. make them produce a remake of the entire DB series with the best animation ever.
3. make Columbia release a complete soundtrack collection of the Kikuchi score and sell it worldwide.
I would do three, too. That probably wouldn't be as much of a pain in the ass to get the gears going as setting up a new animated series with top-notch animators, either.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter