What If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

What If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball?

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 am

I'm pretty sure most of us can agree here that One Piece is a more tightly written series than Dragon Ball. However, since Oda's work is usually full of charm like Toriyama's, how do you think Dragon Ball would've ended up if he had wrote it? Do you think the characters and plots would be better? Would you like Oda's art style in Dragon Ball?
Last edited by thatdbzguy on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What If Eiichiro Oda wrote Dragon Ball?

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am

I don't think One Piece is better written than Dragon Ball at all. The current arc is decent, but it's gone majorly downhill since the timeskip.

If Oda wrote DB there would be more foreshadowing, the humour would rarely work, there would be more callbacks and far more fanservice.

And the series would be even more sexist than it (arguably) already is.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 am

thatdbzguy wrote:I'm pretty sure most of us can agree here that One Piece is a better, more tightly written series than Dragon Ball.
Well, it's more tightly written at least. That part's fairly objective. However, it's a little odd to expect people on a DB forum to automatically agree that One Piece is better.

Anyway, DB was one of Oda's main inspirations, so him being the one to write it in the first place would create a nasty little temporal paradox.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:30 am

Saiga wrote:I don't think One Piece is better written than Dragon Ball at all. The current arc is decent, but it's gone majorly downhill since the timeskip.

If Oda wrote DB there would be more foreshadowing, the humour would rarely work, there would be more callbacks and far more fanservice.

And the series would be even more sexist than it (arguably) already is.
Really? I've heard that One Piece just keeps getting better and better with each arc.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 am

thatdbzguy wrote:Really? I've heard that One Piece just keeps getting better and better with each arc.
Nothing beats the Water 7/Enies Lobby & Impel Down/Marineford arcs yet. And I didn't like the Punk Hazard arc. But the Fishman Island arc was good, and the current arc looks promising.
Last edited by DBZGTKOSDH on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:33 am

That's because it's overrated as all hell. It's never been able to top Water 7 - Enies Lobby, which is about 9 years old now.

edit: I didn't even like Fishman Island DBZGTKOSDH. :P Too much time spent hyping up villains who went down too easily.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 am

thatdbzguy wrote:I'm pretty sure most of us can agree here that One Piece is a better, more tightly written series than Dragon Ball.
Why are you sure?

Anyway, I definitely don't want to see a sob story with the DB characters we know constantly crying ridiculously loud over something about friends.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

Saiga wrote:edit: I didn't even like Fishman Island DBZGTKOSDH. :P Too much time spent hyping up villains who went down too easily.
It was just "good" IMO. When I watched the anime version, I found it boring, and the only reason I was looking forward to it was because I was looking forward to see how much the Straw Hats had developed after their training. The manga version though was much better, but still "good".

As for the topic, as much as I like One Piece, Dragon Ball is better IMO, so no.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Saiga wrote:edit: I didn't even like Fishman Island DBZGTKOSDH. :P Too much time spent hyping up villains who went down too easily.
It was just "good" IMO. When I watched the anime version, I found it boring, and the only reason I was looking forward to it was because I was looking forward to see how much the Straw Hats had developed after their training. The manga version though was much better, but still "good".

As for the topic, as much as I like One Piece, Dragon Ball is better IMO, so no.
I haven't seen the anime version. Read the manga version twice (Jump and Tankobon version) and honestly it was worse on the re-read. It took too long and the villains were too unimpressive. I think the Saobody stuff should have been extended so we could see the Straw Hats show off earlier so that stuff had been gotten out of the way and by the time we reach Fishman Island the villains could be competent.

Although Zeo was still great.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 am

How would Dragonball be if Oda wrote it? Well, it wouldn't be Dragonball, that's for sure! Adding to the fact that Dragonball inspired Oda in many ways, there's no saying how different his writing style would be had Dragonball never existed.
thatdbzguy wrote:Really? I've heard that One Piece just keeps getting better and better with each arc.
That'd be a point of much debate if it was brought up in a One Piece specific forum, but I think it's fair to say that One Piece on the whole is of fluctuating quality - but in my opinion, has a much higher ratio of good material than bad.

I think that the Anime adaptation has a lot to answer for in terms of skewing people's opinions one way or the other, though, as the pacing has made many story arcs that were enjoyable in the manga almost un-watchably bad. The end of Water 7, Thriller Bark, Enies Lobby and Marineford in particular were incredibly stifled - a trend which has only gotten worse post time-skip. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were practically a chore. How Japanese kids have the attention span to stick with weekly portions of such a snail-paced story is beyond me.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Nothing beats the Water 7/Enies Lobby & Impel Down/Marineford arcs yet. And I didn't like the Punk Hazard arc. But the Fishman Island arc was good, and the current arc looks promising.
It's all subjective, really, and while it's true that Water 7 is a popular story arc - a lot of people, for example, hate Impel Down/Marineford and Fishman Island.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 am

Blade wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Nothing beats the Water 7/Enies Lobby & Impel Down/Marineford arcs yet. And I didn't like the Punk Hazard arc. But the Fishman Island arc was good, and the current arc looks promising.
It's all subjective, really, and while it's true that Water 7 is a popular story arc - a lot of people, for example, hate Impel Down/Marineford and Fishman Island.
Of course it's subjective, it's just my opinion.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:23 am

Hm...The Dragon Balls might have different rules. I know that Oda loves making his characters as close friends as possible, so that'd surely have a greater impact. As said, previously, more foreshadowing...But honestly, I think One Piece's humor is great. The guy knows how to plan ahead, and I love it.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:55 am

I feel it would be great, but it wouldn't feel like... Dragon Ball.

One thing i always liked DB for is that the "friendship is power" theme is subtle. Goku gained SSJ for the death of his friend, but the show rarely outright said things like "nakama" or "i won't let my friends die!". Also i don't think anyone ever looked up to Goku and thinked "you are special, people are drawn to you" and stuff.

Meanwhile in One Piece it's not subtle at all i feel.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:00 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Also no one ever looked up to Goku and thinked "you are special, people are drawn to you"
I disagree with that, it's stated a number of times how Goku seems to have an ability to make friends and bring people together. In that respect I think he's definitely the archetype for that aspect of Luffy's character, especially in aspect of befriending former enemies or dangerous individuals. Sure, the main cast of characters in Dragonball Z aren't the tightly bonded group that the crew of the Thousand Sunny is, but they're a motley crew of colourful individuals who largely only have Goku in common.

Luffy has in common with Goku a great many things - not just his incredible strength and determination, carefree and fearless approach to adventure, insatiable need to challenge the best and, of course, a ridiculous appetite.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:24 am

Saiga wrote:That's because it's overrated as all hell. It's never been able to top Water 7 - Enies Lobby, which is about 9 years old now.

edit: I didn't even like Fishman Island DBZGTKOSDH. :P Too much time spent hyping up villains who went down too easily.
Nope. One Piece is amazing. Never disappoints.

That being said, the reasons why like DB and its style, are different from the reasons I like OP and its style. They aren't very similar at all, despite the fact that everyone compares them. So, if Oda wrote DB, it wouldn't even have the same style. It would probably have more backstory and emotional moments, though.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Blade wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:Also no one ever looked up to Goku and thinked "you are special, people are drawn to you"
I disagree with that, it's stated a number of times how Goku seems to have an ability to make friends and bring people together. In that respect I think he's definitely the archetype for that aspect of Luffy's character, especially in aspect of befriending former enemies or dangerous individuals. Sure, the main cast of characters in Dragonball Z aren't the tightly bonded group that the crew of the Thousand Sunny is, but they're a motley crew of colourful individuals who largely only have Goku in common.

Luffy has in common with Goku a great many things - not just his incredible strength and determination, carefree and fearless approach to adventure, insatiable need to challenge the best and, of course, a ridiculous appetite.
I still feel it's more subtle in DB, it's not always hammered down on you, and fights don't remind you of "i can only win this fight with FRIENDSHIP!" everytime. Maybe BoG was the only thing that kinda did this.
I'm not saying it's bad to not be subtle about it, just that it's something that i appreciated in Dragon Ball.

When every character keeps saying "ShonenProtagonist is special!" or "I trust ShonenProtagonist with everything, even my life" or "There's no way ShonenProtagonist can fail, he's the only one!" over and over again, it kinda becomes... creepy.
All the other characters then look like fanboys and seem to think of the protagonist as a deity. Like they are mindless zombies bent on worshipping the protagonist without thinking with their heads.

I still haven't seen this in One Piece, but one Naruto chapter almost made me think this. Glad that shit is over.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:I still feel it's more subtle in DB, it's not always hammered down on you, and fights don't remind you of "i can only win this fight with FRIENDSHIP!" everytime. Maybe BoG was the only thing that kinda did this.
I'm not saying it's bad to not be subtle about it, just that it's something that i appreciated in Dragon Ball.
Doesn't a 'Spirit Bomb' more or less cover this, but on a more 'every living thing' level? And in Dragonball more often than not, Goku is fighting either for or to avenge his friends. It's still remarkably similar.
Flame Dragon wrote:When every character keeps saying "ShonenProtagonist is special!" or "I trust ShonenProtagonist with everything, even my life" or "There's no way ShonenProtagonist can fail, he's the only one!" over and over again, it kinda becomes... creepy.
"If Goku can't do it...!"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Putting aside the paradox needed to make this work as Herms already pointed out, I'm honestly not so sure how much I'd like this concept. Don't get me wrong, I love One Piece, but...if Toriyama and Dragon Ball's problem is that it's too linear in places, than Oda and One Piece's problem is the exact opposite in that it's all over the place.

Especially if we're talking about the artwork. It's gotten to the point in the latest material in One Piece that sometimes you (well, I at least) can't even tell what's going on in some panels until I stare at it for a few minutes. There's often about thirty characters in a panel, all brand new, and you don't know who to pay attention to outside of your main characters because any one of them could turn out to be important 200 chapters from now.

So yeah, while I like One Piece a lot, and I do feel Dragon Ball could be better in some areas, I can't say I'd want the full One Piece effect here either.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I'll just say right now that I wouldn't want anyone but Toriyama drawing Dragon Ball.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Isn't One Piece basically just his version of Dragon Ball?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.