Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Liking DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Liking DBZ?

Post by thatdbzguy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Most know my answer already, so I won't go into that. But what about you? Ever feel ashamed for liking DBZ?
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Liking DBZ?

Post by rereboy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 pm

No. Dragon Ball is a pretty good manga and pretty awesome entertainment. But nowadays I just care about the manga, not really the anime.

crisis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by crisis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm

"Live your truth, so nobody can ever use your truth against you."

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Until 4 years ago, me watching DB was a top-secret, and I didn't want anyone to find out about it, because someone on my age watching cartoons/comics was too pathetic in my mind back then, but I really freaking liked it. But after a while, I got more relaxed about it, and now I don't care to admit it to anyone, and I even started watching other anime/manga (Naruto, One Piece, Toriko). But I'm not very nerdy on my life outside of the PC, I do what every social guy does in my age, and my friends are not nerds or into anything like anime.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Not at all, I'm sure a lot of people even in real life (a.k.a outside of the internet) know I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan. I've never been ashamed of any fandom I've been involved in.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 pm

DBZ was my gateway into anime. I watched it as a kid, and it was pretty much my favourite thing ever. When I started getting into anime in general, and watching DB again, when I was around 14, I hid it from my parents. There were some periods in which I only watched it when they weren't in, or very quietly when they were asleep. Basically, I don't think they'd ever heard of anime, and I didn't know what they'd think if they walked into my room (without warning, as always) and found me watching "cartoons". My mother already thought that all of my friends were "freaks of nature" because she'd seen their MSN handles, and she had no concept of such a thing.

I never really hid it from anyone else, though, from around that time on I always had friends who were into anime, and from when I was around 16 and starting college (UK) it was pretty much a given that any new friend I gained was already into anime, and I could freely say things like "so I was watching InuYasha the other day and...". Now I'm at university and everyone watches anime. It isn't a minority thing at all any more, it's just normal. Even my parents know that I like anime and collect Dragon Ball stuff now, I guess they just learnt gradually and now they know exactly what anime is and that my whole generation is into it.

Edit: I do tend to use the name "Dragon Ball" rather than "Dragon Ball Zee" though, to refer to the whole series and to distance myself from what people saw on Cartoon Network. I am open about my fandom, but I tell anyone who'll listen that what I'm a fan of is quite different to "Dee Bee Zee". To refer to that section of the anime, specifically, I tend to use "Dragon Ball Zetto" when not talking about the dub.
Last edited by Fizzer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 pm

No. I had people that were surprise that people still like DBZ, but I don't care. I enjoy what I like and no one is going to stop me from what I enjoy.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Nope and I never will be.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 pm

No, but some of the things I have seen and heard from other fans made me come pretty damn close.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Nah. People respect me(Though some dislike me cause of it) cause I don't care about what you think of me and I don't give a shit on what's "cool". I always embraced that I'm an Anime Geek. People find it cool when you're yourself. Some might even want to try it out at times. But don't get confused. I don't go around making anime references everywhere or bring it up 24/7. I mean no one knows I watch wrestling because I never bring it up while I'll occasionally bring up anime. Nothing wrong with liking anything(Unless it's rape, murder, or other....common sense stuff to dislike). There's a time when you don't shove down people throat. I will never be ashamed of liking something that I(NOT SOMEONE ELSE)...MYSELF enjoyed.

Now in terms of being inside the DBZ fandom. Yeah honestly yes because of ignorant or just pure dumb(no offense to anyone) fans who...I can't even describe. Most people here know what I'm talking about. So I might say why I even bother with Dbz FANS but not about LIKING Dbz. Though every since I quit reading comment section on Youtube. I love DBZ's fanbase :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:01 pm

No, even if it wasn't popular, I would never have been ashamed of it. It just so happened that a lot of people watched DBZ when I was in high school. Everyone from geeks to the popular kids and athletes.

Here we are over 10 years later, and geek culture is mainstream.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Nanotchi

Post by Nanotchi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm

If anything, I'm proud of it, since I know a lot of dragonball fans, and I've shown them the Japanese version and stuff. >w< and now my little bro's charter school is obsessed now, heheheh.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:37 pm

No, I'm not ashamed for liking the series. Although, that might have to do with living in Arkansas where I've yet to meet someone who hates/dislikes the show (or anime in general) to the point of shaming others for it. It might also help that my dad watched the show (all 508 episodes) with me. Who knows?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Never have been and never will be! I've been into DB since I was a child and I always will be into it and just as enthusiastic as I originally was. There is a reason why this series is so universally loved/praised by people: it's a quality series that can impress across various cultures and ages. I've even been able to have my wife appreciate the series (though her love is nowhere close to my own).
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 pm

This again? How many of these topics have you made now?

And to answer your question, no. I would have a hard time second-guessing myself over liking a shonen manga. I could understand if DBZ was controversial. For example, I would find it somewhat natural for one to question themselves when agreeing with some of the antisemitic ideology of Mein Kampf, and even then, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. But for something as light-hearted as a Dragon Ball, there really isn't a reason to be ashamed of liking it unless it's preventing you from having a life. Yes, it's a work of fiction for children. Does this mean you've yet to grow up and can't be a productive member of society for enjoying it? I'll let you take a look at the community to answer that question.
Last edited by TheOverlyMadHatter on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 pm

I used to be, when I was still in school. I was only 10 or 11, but DBZ had stopped airing on TV and the logic in my grade was: once it stops airing on TV, that means it's not cool to like it any more. SO I had to keep it a secret that I liked it, and I was very embarrassed. For being a cartoon that stopped airing (despite not being cancelled or anything), DBZ was shunned, to the point where in high school I was unsure if it was okay to like Hunter x Hunter and Bleach for having auras (nen) and energy beams (Cero) because of the similarity to DBZ. Luckily, I'm well passed that, and on top of finding a lot of people my age now like Dragon Ball Z, most people I meet have gotten past the stage of judging people for it. Most people.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 pm

For enjoying the show? Nah, not at all.

For being part of this obnoxious fandom? Absolutely.

I'm so thankful that Kanzenshuu and some of its wonderful members exist. It certainly confirmed that the community isn't just the abysmal folks who inhabit YouTube and Reddit's DBZ side of things.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Ugh, kind of but not really. I don't walk around my school announcing that I love a series meant for 10 year old boys but if someone asks me, I'll say yes. Some people in my grade, more so the people from my town are willing to nostalgia over it.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Ugh, kind of but not really. I don't walk around my school announcing that I love a series meant for 10 year old boys but if someone asks me, I'll say yes. Some people in my grade, more so the people from my town are willing to nostalgia over it.
Oh yeah, I don't tell anyone unless I find out they have an interest in it first or they ask what anime/manga I'm into. Or if I have to explain what the forum I'm on is for. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 am

When you're a thirty year old and your fifty-something year old parents catch you intently watching a show for eight year olds?

Yeah, it's a little awkward.

Fortunately, I temper it by also enjoying cartoons for much older viewers... 13 and 14 year olds, I believe.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?