Dragon Ball,Z,GT censorship thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball,Z,GT censorship thread

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm

I was looking at the Kai censorship threads and thought it would be cool to do a similar thread for the original franchises. Even including the edited VHS/TV edited version of the later Funi dubs of Dragon Ball and Z and TV edits of GT. Anyone can contribute :D

Here's censorship from episodes 1-13 of FUNi's original Dragon ball dub.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball,Z,GT censorship thread

Post by Retan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Lol The Panties changed to panties :lol:

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:02 pm

That's the most hilarious edit to me! Shenron panties! :lol:
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 pm

They recolored Bulma's panties, but left her butt crack intact??? :lol:

Okay, I guess it could be her spine, but it looks like a butt crack to me.
-Joey

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 pm

What astonishes me is that when Yamcha is in his dazed "not Dragon Balls" stupor after getting a good look at Bulma's breasteses, his eyes have nipples for pupils even on the TV version.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:02 am

I don't understand the last one. Why would they change them into Shenron panties? :eh:
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 am

It was because the idea of him wishing for panties was seen as perverted, and they didn't want that. So Oolong just wished for comfortable underwear. The Shenlong decal was used to cover up the bow and used to imply they were special Eternal Dragon underwear.

When FUNimation redubbed it for Cartoon Network, they did away with that and made it so that the joke was on Oolong. He didn't intentionally want panties but was given them anyway. He has a line where he questions what he got: "Girls' underwear?!"

EDIT: Hey, cool. You're in Florida? Me too!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:20 am

^Ha! I wish I could remember that, it actually sounds kind of funny. They sure were creative with some of those Toonami edits.

Did they really keep Yamcha looking in on Bulma in the 95 dub? It's been such a long time since I've seen it. Hard to believe that ever made it on network television.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 am

Yep, they did. All things considered, the censorship in DB was much less heavy-handed than DBZ was a year later. But I don't see that as too unjustifiable in that Yamucha wasn't actually looking to see her naked. Oolong was actually being lascivious, so they changed that to be him looking for Dragon Balls. But that edit never made sense to me, as, the next comparison shows, Blooma's suddenly sleeping exactly where the Dragon Balls had been. I got so disoriented watching that!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:26 am

I like the stupid 90s CGI "AAAAAAAAH" replacing "GYOE~!!", which is so obvious even from the screen how 90s and cheap it is. Nothing like FUNI's early days of CGI editing.

Oh, and they did good work replacing Bulma with Dragon Balls. LOL!

Hopefully someone has some DBZ screens, unfortunately I have nothing to contribute as I've never seen the edited 90s dub. I've seen the screenshots on the old DBZ Uncensored though, and read the comparisons about a billion times. :/
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 am

Goku wears a loincloth in the Blue Water dub.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 am

:lol: Thats pretty awesome! lol *I updated the first post*

I'm using Anime Daisuki for the uncut shots as my Dragon Boxes are in storage.

Here is episodes 1-2 of the orginal FUNimation dub *ocean dub* (Japanese Episodes 1-3)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 am

On Ocean Group's Tree of Might edited film Gohan whenever naked would get a tree appearing in front of his tiny penis which made it obvious the low quality censorship unnecessarily being used.

Now even TOEI censors Dragon Ball (DBK) too so that should be enough but nope, Nicktoons and Toonzai find the need to extra censor it for their audiences.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 am

I'm actually pretty impressed by the still shot of Bulma sleeping being replaced with the Dragon Balls. It looks pretty seamless. Having not seen the Ocean dub of that scene, I can't confirm if it looked good in motion, but just this still frame here looks pretty well-done. As does the shot of Bulma being removed when Yamcha looked through the window.

By the way, that shot of the Japanese writing being changed to English on Roshi's card...is the writing faithfully translated?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:21 am

I love comparing TV edited versions to the uncut material. I did it with every episode of DBZK when it aired on Nicktoons.

I made two threads a while ago about the original 1996\97 dub of DBZ. I talked about the dub itself, but I did put up some comparison shots of the censorship...

Episodes 1 - 4: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 3056&hilit

Episodes 5 - 7: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 6791&hilit

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:By the way, that shot of the Japanese writing being changed to English on Roshi's card...is the writing faithfully translated?
No, not even close.

Across the top, it says "Muten Rōshi", and in the blue box, it says his birthday is "all the time", I guess... :eh: (If someone could chime in with a more proper translation of "itsu mo itsu mo tanjōbi", please do so. :) )
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Joey

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:32 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I love comparing TV edited versions to the uncut material. I did it with every episode of DBZK when it aired on Nicktoons.

I made two threads a while ago about the original 1996\97 dub of DBZ. I talked about the dub itself, but I did put up some comparison shots of the censorship...

Episodes 1 - 4: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 3056&hilit

Episodes 5 - 7: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 6791&hilit
Awesome! I'll skip those episdoes since you got them all already :D

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:32 pm

I vividly remember the censorship of DB back when it was airing on Cartoon Network. I remember thinking, even at the time, how obvious the manipulated scenes actually were. It wasn't until I read the manga a couple of years later that I finally figured out what they were actually changing and what not.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 am

Some of the stuff with Z I think had to do with Saban being involved. Remember the big complaints about violence in Power Rangers was still fresh in their memory at the time.

On another note, a thing I remember of DB's 95 version had them cut Yamcha konking Chi-Chi cutting to seeing Puar shocked, and hearing a slap and Chi-Chi shriek to showing her knocked out. This was cut after they showed her decapitate and blow up a t-rex.

imatu

Post by imatu » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:59 am

Speaking of the Blue Water dub...

They kept Bulma's panties the same.
They cut out most of the bath scene, but kept the shot of Bulma bathing unedited.
They cut out the shot in the boat that you chose, but they didn't cut out the entire scene; they edited some underwear onto Goku, but kept the panties in.
The shot of Yamcha looking into the window was unedited, but Bulma's reaction was cut.
The shot of Bulma sleeping was also cut, but when Oolong is looking down the staircase, the shot is unedited. They also cut out the "AAAAAH!" shot.
Roshi's license was edited, but only to include "Martial Arts Master" and "Name: Roshi".
They also kept Oolong's panties unedited, but they referred to them as just "underwear".
They also kept in this shot of Oolong's genitals, which I think the 1995 dub did as well.
I'm a former moderator of the UKDB forum, semi-frequent poster on /r/TrueAnime, rare dub collector, amateur anime historian, volunteer puppeteer, and a manga enthusiast.

I tweet quite often.