Dragon Ball,Z,GT censorship thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball,Z,GT censorship thread

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Did the French dub of Dragon Ball have these same edits? I ask because there's reason to suggest that the Blue Water dubs used the (pre-edited) French dub footage for dubbing purposes.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I thought the latin american DB and DBZ didn't have any censorship, but rewatching some DB episodes I realized that it was censored. Naked kid Goku not so much, but when Bulma flashes her panties to Roshi it was completely cut and the dialogue afterwards made no sense at all.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Did the French dub of Dragon Ball have these same edits? I ask because there's reason to suggest that the Blue Water dubs used the (pre-edited) French dub footage for dubbing purposes.
The AB Groupe Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z had all 153/291 episodes but they were censored here and there, such as they've cut off Freeza impaling Kuririn scene.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Did the French dub of Dragon Ball have these same edits? I ask because there's reason to suggest that the Blue Water dubs used the (pre-edited) French dub footage for dubbing purposes.
The AB Groupe Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z had all 153/291 episodes but they were censored here and there, such as they've cut off Freeza impaling Kuririn scene.
Well, it wasn't entirely cut. He was still impaled and you could see it. They only cut the most obvious shots.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Kuririn falls into the water and then Gohan bursts angry at Freeza without any logical explanation, so they've cut the entire scene as the original that aired did not show Freeza impaling him. Let's not forget it's only 16 minutes long rather than the usual 19mins.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:27 pm

I've posted this one before, but here it is again.

Captain Ginyu: Assault DVD

When selecting the English Audio Track

When selecting the Japanese Audio Track

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Gotta love it when their very first "uncut" DVD is not uncut on the English track.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:18 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Kuririn falls into the water and then Gohan bursts angry at Freeza without any logical explanation, so they've cut the entire scene as the original that aired did not show Freeza impaling him. Let's not forget it's only 16 minutes long rather than the usual 19mins.
Maybe that's the rerun version? I know that reruns in France censored the series even more, sometimes making an episode fade to black and end when it was too difficult to edit.
However, I remember the Spanish version, which uses the first-airing French footage, showed it. Not uncut, as I said, but you could see how Freeza attacked Krillin, him screaming, the horn, and then falling. What they cut, if I remember well, was the shots of Freeza licking blood and moving him around while impaled.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Any kind of extensive edits like digitally adding underwear to Goku's lower body must have been done by the Ocean Group.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 am

Here are some shots from the last episode of Z
And a sign removing Satans name (the "Sa ta m" sign also appears to be edited?):

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:14 pm

I was wondering, how was Dr. Gero's death (When 17 killed him) handled by the edited original Funimation dub/Toonami broadcast? I remember in the Nicktoons broadcast, it skips 17 inhaling Gero's chest, cuts to 17 kicking his head off, while adding a flash-type effect in the process. I was wondering how the original edited tapes/broadcast compared to the Nicktoons version.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Well, I don't know about FUNimation, but this is how Ocean did it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:40 pm

The first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball were edited a little bit differently on Toonami(US) than in the original Kidmark dub. See here: Dragon Ball: Pilaf Saga - Edit Lists
eledoremassis02 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Differences from the Toonami(US) broadcast:
[spoiler]Picture 1: From what I remember of the Toonami broadcast, Goku didn't have underwear. The shots of him naked from the back were not edited, but when he would turn around a nearby object like splashes of water would be added or the whole frame would be zoomed in.

Picture 2: Goku lifting up Bulma's skirt was left in, but the frames showing her panties were cut.

Picture 5: Toonami recycled the Kidmark shot of Bulma with the dollar bills, but it creates an inconsistancy because it's the only time Goku has digital underwear in this version.

Picture 7: Bulma in the shower with glare on the window was cut from the Toonami airing.

Picture 8: Oolong does not find dragonballs under the blanket on Toonami. This shot was cut entirely.

Picture 11: Master Roshi's driver's license kept the kanji on the Toonami broadcast.

Picture 12: The panties on Oolong's head still had a pink ribbon and not a dragon logo.[/spoiler]

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I wonder why they didn't just market the show for teens and adults if so much censorship was necessary to market it for kids.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I wonder why they didn't just market the show for teens and adults if so much censorship was necessary to market it for kids.
They did, at least with Z. They had uncut airings before adult swim was a thing, at it was definitely marketed towards adults.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I wonder why they didn't just market the show for teens and adults if so much censorship was necessary to market it for kids.
Because it was marketed for kids in Japan but the standards for what is accepted for kids there is different from here.

Another thing is Toriyama, he was in his 30's so although the story was aimed at kids, it also applied to teens and adults cause the writer was an adult and he wrote something he could enjoy as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

Probably Toei wanted it air on a kids network since it was a kids show in Japan too. Toei mostly makes anime aim to kids expect for a few like Crying Freeman, 3x3 Eyes and a few others.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:32 pm

That Master Roshi card is hilarious. I dunno if I'd even consider that censorship, just bad translation I guess? The "Middle of Ocean" part especially makes me laugh. Or was the card some subscription to some perverted thing? I don't remember.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:11 am

It's supposed to be his drivers license IIRC.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:01 am

The Japanese text reads "Kamesennin. It's always my birthday."