Dr. Slump: The Movies (1-5) by Discotek

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dr. Slump: The Movies (1-5) by Discotek

Post by Ashura » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Hey guys!

I was actually going to try to post a thread about this release, but someone beat me to it!

I worked on the DVD production of this DVD set. I did all the packaging and helped with the content and DVD production. I got Herms involved and he did a really great job with the subtitles. Thanks so much Herms! The original translations were a little rough and the man worked some miracles. For those asking, the masters are the same as the Japanese DVDs. I have the check disks here actually, so I'll post some screenshots later on.

One thing I wanted to mention is that sales of this release sort of dictate if there will be any other Dr. Slump material released here by Discotek in the future. So please, please buy it. I put in a lot of unpaid time to try to help make this release even a little bit better so that hopefully sales will be good. There's not a HUGE fanbase for Dr. Slump... I think pretty much us guys here is it. So I really appreciate Mike letting this thread continue on even though it's kind of off-topic to Dragonball.

After work I'll post some stuff so you guys can see what it looks like.
Last edited by Ashura on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 pm

No worries on my part at least, Ashura - I already got my copy pre-ordered from RightStuf last week or so, just waiting on it and everything else I got to finally ship out. ^_^

Great to hear that the masters are from what I understand is pretty much the Dr. Slump answer to a Dragon Box, so that means we should be in for one heck of a treat with this. If you're allowed to answer, are there going to be any extras to speak of? I'm not expecting anything too major, but something along the lines of the notes that some of the Lupin releases from Discotek have gotten would be pretty awesome.

I also can't stress what Ashura has said enough either guys. Just as a fan of Dr. Slump and classic anime in general, I really want to see this set sell well enough for them to get the rest of the movies at the very, very least, and hopefully one day look into getting the series as well. If you are even the most remotely interested in this series, you should give this set a look.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:13 am

I'm sure as heck in. So there may actually be a possibility of more coming if this sells all right? Wish I had some fan-friends to buy this as a gift for!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 am

Ashura wrote:Hey guys!

I was actually going to try to post a thread about this release, but someone beat me to it!

I worked on the DVD production of this DVD set. I did all the packaging and helped with the content and DVD production. I got Herms involved and he did a really great job with the subtitles. Thanks so much Herms! The original translations were pretty rough and the man worked some miracles. For those asking, the masters are the same as the Japanese DVDs. I have the check disks here actually, so I'll post some screenshots later on.

One thing I wanted to mention is that sales of this release sort of dictate if there will be any other Dr. Slump material released here by Discotek in the future. So please, please buy it. I put in a lot of unpaid time to try to help make this release even a little bit better so that hopefully sales will be good. There's not a HUGE fanbase for Dr. Slump... I think pretty much us guys here is it. So I really appreciate Mike letting this thread continue on even though it's kind of off-topic to Dragonball.

After work I'll post some stuff so you guys can see what it looks like.
Whoa, so you did more than the cover as you've said over at the Fandom.

I've got a question, do these come with slipcovers? I can't wait to get my copy. ^_^
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 am

Even though it's slightly not related to Dragonball...it kinda is related to it. I mean, Dr. Slump is apart of the Dragonball universe. Arale is in Dragonball the mystical adventure and Goku goes to penguin village so yeah. :) If I can get the money I will definitely help support this release.

Edit - I may not be able to get it though to at-least til the end of next month or September. :twisted: gotta buy birthday presents for people lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:27 am

Ashura wrote:One thing I wanted to mention is that sales of this release sort of dictate if there will be any other Dr. Slump material released here by Discotek in the future. So please, please buy it. I put in a lot of unpaid time to try to help make this release even a little bit better so that hopefully sales will be good. There's not a HUGE fanbase for Dr. Slump... I think pretty much us guys here is it.
It's nice to know that members here were involved with official stuff. Pre-ordered it!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm

Also pre-ordered it, i love manga, and always wanted to watch anime :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:03 pm

I guess maybe Discotek doesn't do pre-orders on their site, 'cause this release still isn't on there. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 pm

The last 3 items on their store http://www.discotekmedia.com/store.htm are for pre-orders. It's kinda driving me crazy that this isn't up yet. :crazy:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:36 pm

kei17 wrote:
Ashura wrote:One thing I wanted to mention is that sales of this release sort of dictate if there will be any other Dr. Slump material released here by Discotek in the future. So please, please buy it. I put in a lot of unpaid time to try to help make this release even a little bit better so that hopefully sales will be good. There's not a HUGE fanbase for Dr. Slump... I think pretty much us guys here is it.
It's nice to know that members here were involved with official stuff. Pre-ordered it!
Do you have a multi region dvd player kei?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi guys!

No, there's no slip cover unfortunately. Just no budget for it. Thanks for letting me you know that you preordered it though, Kei and gang! Please also make sure you thank Herms, because he went above and beyond for this release too.

If you want to see what the full cover looks like though, here's an exclusive just for Kanzenshuu!

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh wow, you did a great job on designing this cover Ashura! It's nice seeing a larger copy of it too, I didn't realize the front cover was composed of photographs that are somewhat worn and folded. I really like the effect of that.

I also really like the top-left corner of the back where the characters are peering at us. And as someone who really loves getting to see theatrical trailers, I'm ecstatic that those are on there as extras! Do you happen to know if the trailers are subtitled as well, or are they presented raw?

...Do...Do I see what appears to be someone doing a Fist of the North Star parody? Ha!
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 pm

I really hope this leads to an eventual release of the series here. Nobody's bothered doing fansubs for this series, either. I'd like to see the newer one, too. It has a different, though interesting, art style.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:11 pm

If I have the money for this relatively soon, I'll buy it and show some support! Kinda wish it had a dub (since I tend to like watching both versions), but this is a nice start!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:If I have the money for this relatively soon, I'll buy it and show some support! Kinda wish it had a dub (since I tend to like watching both versions), but this is a nice start!
Oh, yeah. A dub would be nice, but if the series anything like I've heard, it probably wouldn't really work in any other language or culture.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:If I have the money for this relatively soon, I'll buy it and show some support! Kinda wish it had a dub (since I tend to like watching both versions), but this is a nice start!
Oh, yeah. A dub would be nice, but if the series anything like I've heard, it probably wouldn't really work in any other language or culture.
Yeah, true. Although I think someone who knows both languages and is creative enough, they could make it work as long as the spirit of the jokes are retained!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm

Ahhh, thanks! I spent probably way too much time designing the cover.

And yes, the trailers definitely subtitled.

Just FYI, the movie titles were mandated by the licensor. So that's why they're slightly different than the literal translations.
Last edited by Ashura on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Just took another look at that awesome large version of the cover, and I noticed a few things that I didn't the first time around. First of all, it's pretty cool to see Herms get listed alongside 'Kanzenshuu' on the back of the case - the created term/name for the site is now on an official product! How cool is that? :P I also noticed two names listed for 'Packaging & Menu Design'. The first one I assume is you, Ashura, but the second...Stephanie Sheh...wait, as in voice actress Stephanie Sheh? I knew she had done some work for FUNimation before, but didn't know she'd worked with Discotek too.

Edit: Ack, you replied right as I was typing this. :lol: Thanks for the confirmation that the trailers are definitely subtitled. I can't remember specifically what shows/movies I've gotten in the past or what companies put them out, but I knew that I'd had a few that just threw the trailers onto the disc without subtitles. I guess the idea is that you'll pretty much know what's being said after you watch the product itself, but it's always struck me as a weird kind of cutting corners.
Twitter

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 am

No, she's a different Stephanie. Stephanie Shih is a friend of mine; she's an artist who helps me on these projects... and is very gracious because I only have very little money to pay her. She usually works with me me on restoring cover artwork for older shows. If you've been following the Castle of Cagliostro tumblr, you'll know she's been working on the cover for that with me: http://imgur.com/a/Gs63r#0 She's really talented and I'm lucky she puts up with me.

This is her tumblr. You should follow her if you like cute things: http://shihfu.tumblr.com/

Also yeah, I really wanted to make sure Jake got credit. He helped out a lot, and I'm really grateful for his time on this project.
Last edited by Ashura on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:15 am

Oh wow!! Thanks so much for sharing that with us, Ashura! The dotted line motif is really nice looking, and the hearts & stars everywhere -- SO CUTE!

I hope this does well, I'm certainly doing my best to get the word out. It would be incredible if this led to more Slump DVDs released in America. Yeah, a handful of fansubs are out there, as well as a smattering of those old NGN broadcasts around, but an official product like this is definitely preferable!

And wow! Herms & Kanzenshuu getting a mention on the product itself, that's great. Discotek does a great job of reaching out to the right fans for their products.

Finally, I have been following that Castle of Cagliostro blog and I love it! That entry on the various logos over the years was fantastic.