Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Post by nite_jay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
nite_jay wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Anyway,he's far from a list, but Egoraptor from Egoraptor likes it.
A funny thing about that is in a Game Grumps episode I saw a little while ago when he imitated a Kamehameha he sounded more like Nozawa that Schemmel when doing it.
I still remember his remix of Cha-la at the end of a part in SM64.
(BTW, those endslates are pointless AF, half the time, they weren't even fucking linked correctly, goodgamekevin)
Now I'm wondering, what does this thread qualify as celebrity? Because there are a lot of Youtubers with pretty substantial amounts of subs that like DB. (I also think that Kevin is sort of there just to make videos passable for upload. IDK if he even does much else besides lining up the audio visual.)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 pm

(I also think that Kevin is sort of there just to make videos passable for upload. IDK if he even does much else besides lining up the audio visual.)
Sometimes who get even get that right, lol (I really hope Super mega become the full time editors).
As for the celebrity, it's up to you
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Ronda Rousey loves android 18

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:Ronda Rousey loves android 18
And Vegeta.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I knew beforehand that some rappers are fans of Dragon Ball.

Some of the other names mentioned surprised me.

Rhonda Rousey was one I already knew. There's some video of her telling the cameraman about her crush she used to have on Vegeta.

Anyway, I don't know many celebrities that have explicitly mentioned liking Dragon Ball. What I do know is that there are some celebrities in Western shows and movies that make subtle or direct references to the Dragon Ball franchise.

Maxwell Atoms's Billy and Mandy had an episode titled, "Chicken Ball Z"
Mr. Warburton's Codename: Kids Next Door had an episode that recreated the Goku vs. Frieza fight.
It shouldn't surprise you that plenty of rappers (or even younger celebrities in general) like Dragon Ball (or at least, the college-basement Americanization of Z).

Indeed, we do talk about it as this massive thing that, even without extreme localizations, was a big deal worldwide. & that Kai's dub (which was a perfectly acceptable version of the story) was a hit with American children.

However, in regards to those parodies in Western media of Dragon Ball, they are moreso expressions of the frustrations that Hollywood networks had of anime (a product which they did not create or generally invest themselves in) doing so well, & in DBZ's case, blowing away their own shows in ratings.

This includes the Robot Chicken anime parody, & I would even say it branches out to stuff like ATLA (Wonderful show), Ben10, Thundercats 2011, & heck, even IGPX, which was a co-production which featured Hamill & Cullen in the dub (which, mind you, they NEVER did so for hit "licensed" shows, such as Naruto, Pokemon, or DBZ)

I really shouldn't wear out this term, but it's kinda like The Big Bang Theory comparisons, i.e. "nerd (or "anime" in this comparison) blackface".

* Sure, it's an acknowledgement of the popularity of the material, but it ISN'T a respectful one.

(Angry dub fan rant over)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Nerd blackface? Really?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Ronda Rousey. Remember that bitch that got her ass handed to her a year ago? She definitely wants to become Android 18 and sure has some crush over Vegeta.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Gokuden wrote:Maybe we can have them tweet Funimation, Toei, and groupe AB for Dragon Box Blu-ray rays 4:3, all the image. :D

Use the starfan support!
God, please

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:07 pm

It seems that Brittney Spear's son likes DBZ, as he was Frieza for Halloween. Anyone else saw that picture? :lol:
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:15 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Actually I remember some guy a-long time when I watched MTV cribs pulled out the box sets of the Ocean Dub and was talking about them haha I just can't remember who he was :lol:
I'll never forget that episode it was Master P. I don't know if this has been answered I just felt it needed to be in case anyone wanted to know.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:16 pm

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 pm

The funnier part for me about that was the official Bandai Namco US account tweeting to her "WOW! That's awesome. Coolest family ever" :lol:

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Britney Spears' son:

https://twitter.com/britneyspears/statu ... 9471458304
Oh, I almost forgot that it was in Twitter also. I only saw that pic on from facebook.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Marco Polo wrote:Britney Spears' son:

https://twitter.com/britneyspears/statu ... 9471458304
Me and my friend were talking about that post today, got some free time at work and made a funny "what if" scenario where FUNi announces "Dragon Ball Super English Dub featuring music by Britney Spears" haha.
https://youtu.be/RcZSsKIH_Ms

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:54 am

I had to jump in and shout out Andre-Pierre Gignac. He's a French soccer player but he plays in Mexico for Tigres nowadays. Anyway, here is him earlier this year, dying his hair blond and then celebrating a goal with a kamehameha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkI_Y5X2lac

Heck of a goal too :)

Mr. Frog

Post by Mr. Frog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:27 pm

ABED wrote:Kofi Kingston
To further your point:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Mr. Frog wrote:
To further your point:

I marked out so hard when I saw this live.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm assuming this was from a WrestleMania. Which one? Did anyone mention DB explicitly or was it just the costume?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mr. Frog

Post by Mr. Frog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:52 pm

ABED wrote:
I'm assuming this was from a WrestleMania. Which one? Did anyone mention DB explicitly or was it just the costume?
Yes, Wrestlemania 32. The announcers acknowledged it, I cant remember if they had any DBZ jokes in their promo?

https://youtu.be/h_2i9gt2qMA

Mr. Frog

Post by Mr. Frog » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Mr. Frog wrote:
To further your point:

Me too :D . Did you get to see 'Mania in person? Made me sad it was only a one time thing.