Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:39 am

Like any well known actors or writers or athletes? Not like other well known Japanese mangaka or anything because that's somewhat expected but like famous people more so from America and Europe and such.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 am

Actually I remember some guy a-long time when I watched MTV cribs pulled out the box sets of the Ocean Dub and was talking about them haha I just can't remember who he was :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:45 am

James Marsters AKA Spike from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:48 am

Soulja Boy... but that's not exactly a glowing endorsement
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:01 am

Jackie Chan is a fan and has met Toriyama on several occasions. It is kinda cool that the man that inspired the series is a fan himself.
Slightly related, he also wore an Arale costume suit in the film My Lucky Stars.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 am

Super Saiyan 4 Goku poster was in christina aguilera's music video ''What a girl wants'' :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:02 am

Makaioshin wrote:Jackie Chan is a fan and has met Toriyama on several occasions. It is kinda cool that the man that inspired the series is a fan himself.
Slightly related, he also wore an Arale costume suit in the film My Lucky Stars.
I'm not sure exactly why but this just made my morning! It's great to think that Jackie Chan met up with Toriyama before and just had some conversational exchanges between them. I wonder what their conversation was like/about, and they definitely needed a translator. :lol:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 am

There was a topic somewhere here about celebrities who liked Dragon Ball but.. they were mostly just rappers.

Snoop Dogg was one of them, iirc.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:38 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:There was a topic somewhere here about celebrities who liked Dragon Ball but.. they were mostly just rappers.

Indeed. In his words: 'Gogeta is a G'.

In the UK, Jonathan Ross and Bill Bailey are both fans - the latter of which has been seen on TV wearing Dragonball shirts multiple times. In fact, during his last comedy tour, he played a commercial he recorded for a Japanese product where he was always wearing a Goku shirt.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:There was a topic somewhere here about celebrities who liked Dragon Ball but.. they were mostly just rappers.

Yeah, there's a 4-page thread here with some good ones http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=20390
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:27 pm

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Jackie Chan is an obvious one.

Also, Chris Brown also did say it was his favorite anime once. I wonder why ....
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Hong Kong actor-director Stephen Chow is definitely a fan of Dragon Ball.
He has entire sets of several Shonen Jump manga on his shelf and known to be quite knowledgeable on Shonen Jump properties.

Speaking of Jackie Chan, I used to work for him. Translated special features for several of his movies on DVD from Chinese to English. Incidentally, I wouldn't have learned how to read Chinese if it weren't for Dragon Ball.
The world is your's.

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:40 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Super Saiyan 4 Goku poster was in christina aguilera's music video ''What a girl wants'' :P
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why in the world is it there? :eh:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Rafael Nadal is now at the top of my cool list.
Christina Aguilera was always cool.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Kofi Kingston
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

FrogTrigger
Beyond Newbie

Post by FrogTrigger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:36 am

Rza and the whole Wu tang

Stephen chow too iirc

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:51 am

So it looks like Jackie Chan is the only A list celebrity that's a fan?

Christina Aguilera isn't necessarily a fan just because a poster appeared in a music video and the rest are D list material.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:12 am

Bullza wrote:So it looks like Jackie Chan is the only A list celebrity that's a fan?

Christina Aguilera isn't necessarily a fan just because a poster appeared in a music video and the rest are D list material.
I'd call Nadal 'A list'. :?

Patiently waiting the day when a new name finally pops in one of these threads. It's the same answers to this question every year. :lol: