Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Any celebrities that like Dragon Ball?

Post by Bullza » Sun May 14, 2017 8:05 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:^Just watched that, it was pretty hilarious when Iris said she didn't have enough time to explain the DBZ series. Ha Ha
Is that a comic thing or are we talking about The Flash TV series?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun May 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Bullza wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:^Just watched that, it was pretty hilarious when Iris said she didn't have enough time to explain the DBZ series. Ha Ha
The TV series
Here is the clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JmILUPlOY
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Dreddgxdkira

Post by Dreddgxdkira » Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:There was a topic somewhere here about celebrities who liked Dragon Ball but.. they were mostly just rappers.

Snoop Dogg was one of them, iirc.
DBZ is pretty much black people the anime

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri May 26, 2017 9:42 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Bullza wrote:
The TV series
Here is the clip
Wait, so does Candice Patton (or Iris, in this case) admit to being a fan of DBZ, or...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 am

dragonballhero wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Bullza wrote:
The TV series
Here is the clip
Wait, so does Candice Patton (or Iris, in this case) admit to being a fan of DBZ, or...
No what happened is The Flash or Barry lost his memory. That woman talking to him there is telling him that he was in an anime club and loved Dragon Ball Z.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Bullza wrote:No what happened is The Flash or Barry lost his memory. That woman talking to him there is telling him that he was in an anime club and loved Dragon Ball Z.
So, does that mean Superman has to hear about the debates of if he could beat Goku or not? :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:07 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:I knew beforehand that some rappers are fans of Dragon Ball.

Some of the other names mentioned surprised me.

Rhonda Rousey was one I already knew. There's some video of her telling the cameraman about her crush she used to have on Vegeta.

Anyway, I don't know many celebrities that have explicitly mentioned liking Dragon Ball. What I do know is that there are some celebrities in Western shows and movies that make subtle or direct references to the Dragon Ball franchise.

Maxwell Atoms's Billy and Mandy had an episode titled, "Chicken Ball Z"
Mr. Warburton's Codename: Kids Next Door had an episode that recreated the Goku vs. Frieza fight.
It shouldn't surprise you that plenty of rappers (or even younger celebrities in general) like Dragon Ball (or at least, the college-basement Americanization of Z).

Indeed, we do talk about it as this massive thing that, even without extreme localizations, was a big deal worldwide. & that Kai's dub (which was a perfectly acceptable version of the story) was a hit with American children.

However, in regards to those parodies in Western media of Dragon Ball, they are moreso expressions of the frustrations that Hollywood networks had of anime (a product which they did not create or generally invest themselves in) doing so well, & in DBZ's case, blowing away their own shows in ratings.

This includes the Robot Chicken anime parody, & I would even say it branches out to stuff like ATLA (Wonderful show), Ben10, Thundercats 2011, & heck, even IGPX, which was a co-production which featured Hamill & Cullen in the dub (which, mind you, they NEVER did so for hit "licensed" shows, such as Naruto, Pokemon, or DBZ)

I really shouldn't wear out this term, but it's kinda like The Big Bang Theory comparisons, i.e. "nerd (or "anime" in this comparison) blackface".

* Sure, it's an acknowledgement of the popularity of the material, but it ISN'T a respectful one.

(Angry dub fan rant over)
Mark Hamill and Peter Cullen are union actors, so there's no way they would ever appear in Pokemon or DBZ. Besides, since anime dubs pay so little, I don't blame them for not wanting to do them. Also, all that Cullen does now is just voicing Optimus Prime and he's happy enough with that. Funnily enough, in the 80's and the 90's, he did more than just Optimus Prime, he got to show off his range. As for Hamill, he probably doesn't care for anime that much.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 am

Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, a high school basketball phenom and a virtual guarentee for the NBA, constantly posts Dragonball related stuff all the time on his twitter.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:23 pm

omaro34 wrote:Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, a high school basketball phenom and a virtual guarentee for the NBA, constantly posts Dragonball related stuff all the time on his twitter.
Hot damn, for someone so young he is TALL.

...Here I was thinking I was privileged at 5'11 & 20. :wtf:

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 am

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Shaq's son, Shareef O'Neal, a high school basketball phenom and a virtual guarentee for the NBA, constantly posts Dragonball related stuff all the time on his twitter.
Hot damn, for someone so young he is TALL.

...Here I was thinking I was privileged at 5'11 & 20. :wtf:
I mean, he is Shaq's son lol. That's a big man :lol:

Anyway, just wanted to add Flying Lotus to the endless pit of rappers who are also anime (and DB) fans

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:39 am

I cover sports for a living, and have been doing high school sports the past few years and there is plenty of love for Dragon Ball in high schools still. I will go on football or basketball recruits or college players and there's bound to be Dragon Ball somewhere. A running-back for a team I covered two years ago would post a GIF of SSJ3 Goku before every game. Not even kidding.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 am

There's a lot of love for Dragon Ball in sports. A lot of rappers like it aswell.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 pm

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Not really celebrities but lot's of bodybuilders see Dragon Ball mainly Z as motivation to train and get jacked. Even though I don't care for it in the series anymore, Faulconer makes some damn good lifting music.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't know if any of you guys follow football (some may call it soccer) and/ or are from the UK, but here's a look at Crystal Palace winger Bakary Sako's new boots (some may call them cleats).

He's got a whole anime boots collection. Amazing.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Kanye and Lupe are well known weebs, so they might have watched it, and I know Snoop likes it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Lupe as in Lupe Fiasco?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:57 pm

ABED wrote:Lupe as in Lupe Fiasco?
Yeah, sorry for not specifying.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

JuJu Smith-Schuster, wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers and former USC Trojan..I think celebrated scoring with a Kamehameha yesterday?

https://twitter.com/nattyd13/status/914557891008491520

I’ve seen a few prominent sports accounts (Bleacher Report, Sportscenter) say he did a Hadouken, and if you want a good kick, go check out those responses. :P

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 pm

It was mentioned before about Britney Spears son. Well Britney Spears once again posted artwork on her Twitter of what her son drew.

https://mobile.twitter.com/britneyspear ... 9625749504